Akira (TBA)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader can't see the difference between the original anime and a movie adaptation of the original anime.

For Akira (the movie) to be good... you don't need anything connected to Hiroshima. :lol:

Gary Oldman?
Sold.

I'm liking the way the cast is shaping up, but with Jaume Collet-Serra on as director I just can't take this thing seriously.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
Vader182 wrote:The film's about the cultural and societal fallout Japan suffered after Hiroshima. It has next to no relevance to the U.S. audiences in a broad way, and moving the film to New York spits in the face of the entire freaking point of the movie. It's in very bad taste.

Moreover, considering where the film goes, unless massive strides of the narrative change drastically, it simply won't translate to live action well. I'm talking primarily about the third act. Not to mention fr the action to be done anything close to correctly, it'd need a budget well over a hundred million dollars.

It's just going to piss on the legacy of the original masterpiece.

-Vader
Gary Oldman would disagree.
Yet Gary Oldman started in Red Riding Hood too. So.....................................

George wrote:I'm liking the way the cast is shaping up, but with Jaume Collet-Serra on as director I just can't take this thing seriously.
Same here. I'm sold on the cast, but not sure about the director.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

RIFA wrote:Vader can't see the difference between the original anime and a movie adaptation of the original anime.

For Akira (the movie) to be good... you don't need anything connected to Hiroshima. :lol:
Not only can I 'see' the differences, I outlined the many reasons outside of the thematic core of the film why Akira won't work, none of which any of you guys have responded to.

Additionally, my general point was, why 'remake' something if the entire point of the work no longer carries any resonance whatsoever?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote: Additionally, my general point was, why 'remake' something if the entire point of the work no longer carries any resonance whatsoever?

-Vader

because they can give it an entirely different point, relevant for the audiences that it is being made for

Zack Snyder would love you
you're that slow
Last edited by mchekhov on November 16th, 2011, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mchekhov wrote:
Vader182 wrote: Additionally, my general point was, why 'remake' something if the entire point of the work no longer carries any resonance whatsoever?

-Vader

because they can it have an entirely different point relevant for the audiences that it is being made for

you're that slow
Talli rises.

mchekhov wrote:

-Vader

because they can it have an entirely different point relevant for the audiences that it is being made for

you're that slow

No, that's the reason to make a film, not a reason to adapt something.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

you're that slow

No, that's the reason to make a film, not a reason to adapt something.

-Vader
a·dapt   [uh-dapt] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to make suitable to requirements or conditions; adjust or modify fittingly

i hope zack snyder doesnt use too much of the vader effect in the Man of Steel