Doctor Who (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
#1fan wrote:As a Major fan i feel
Moffat > RTD

I just finished the first series of the new generation (2005). Loved it. Fantastic. I'm going to miss Chris Eccleston, a lot. I really love him as the Doctor, so I think I'll have a tough transition with Tennant, but I'm sure he'll grow on me.

Crazy Eight wrote:I just finished the first series of the new generation (2005). Loved it. Fantastic. I'm going to miss Chris Eccleston, a lot. I really love him as the Doctor, so I think I'll have a tough transition with Tennant, but I'm sure he'll grow on me.
I'm glad you liked it, it was a really great series. You'll instantly like Tennant, you'll become extremely attached, it's the transition from Tennant to Smith that'll be the hardest.

Which I still haven't made, but should. I dunno, something about Smith just makes me not want to start it.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Which I still haven't made, but should. I dunno, something about Smith just makes me not want to start it.

-Vader
I really don't like him. In fact, the new Smith series' are pretty crap compared to Tennant's. I put it down to the BBC budget cuts and the overall "fresh" new take on everything.

I just watched Tennant's first episode. I don't know. I don't care for him as much as Eccleston... I'm sure after time that'll change, but as it stands, yeah, meh.

Crazy Eight wrote:I just watched Tennant's first episode. I don't know. I don't care for him as much as Eccleston... I'm sure after time that'll change, but as it stands, yeah, meh.
No offense to Tennant, but his first episode is utter shit. He doesn't do anything for more than half the episode and when he does, he's incredibly insane. But from that second episode to the third season, you warm up to him. 3rd season through the specials is his best and THE best run of any doctor I've seen. Tennant rocks those episodes and makes a name for himself as the doctor.

Baconboy wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:I just watched Tennant's first episode. I don't know. I don't care for him as much as Eccleston... I'm sure after time that'll change, but as it stands, yeah, meh.
No offense to Tennant, but his first episode is utter shit. He doesn't do anything for more than half the episode and when he does, he's incredibly insane. But from that second episode to the third season, you warm up to him. 3rd season through the specials is his best and THE best run of any doctor I've seen. Tennant rocks those episodes and makes a name for himself as the doctor.
This, pretty much. Tennant's first few episodes aren't great, it shows, but when he really gets going, and when the series begins to build tension, you'll really get to love him.

Minutes ago I finished the 6th series of Doctor Who with The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe Christmas Special, so while it's fresh on my mind I thought I'd share my thoughts on the series. The last time I posted I was just beginning Tennant's reign, so I obviously now I have more to say on the matter.

Like Mason and Baconboy predicted, I ended up loving David Tennant and his take of the Doctor. He was brilliant. Series 2 ended up being one of my favorite of the show, The Girl in the Fireplace being my personal favorite. However, series 3 and 4 didn't live up to the expectations set by it's predecessors. They dragged often, and the writing became less than invigorating. Davies was never a particularly clever writer, his stories were always fairly straight forward and simple, but chunks of the 3rd and 4th series were boring and dull. For awhile it seemed as though Davies had forgotten how to write to Tennant's strengths- long bits of complex spacy wacy dialogue and plenty of moments for the Doctor to act brilliantly clever. However, it wasn't entirely bad, as The Waters of Mars ended up as one of my favorite episodes of the entire show.

Seeing Tennant leave was sad, but it felt right. It was time. Three series', four years, it was a good run. I'm glad he decided to leave when he was still loved and would be missed, as opposed to outstaying his welcome on the show. Enter Matt Smith. Matt Smith's charisma and Moffat's clever writing skills turned the Doctor into my favorite television character of all time. Smith is easily the most funny of the modern Doctor's with his countless hilarious one liners and perspectives on life that could only come across as so brilliant with Smith's persona. Series 5 was absolutely brilliant- easily the best of the modern program. Smith's charm, wit, and inspired performance amplified Moffat's perfectly paced first go as head writer. The series had a fascinating underline story that complimented even the standalone episodes and lead to a brilliantly clever and emotional finale. Series 6 however, was less focused and structured, but still one of the best of the show. While the underlining story felt rather pointless and dull, the standalone episodes were mostly fantastic. The finale was a major disappointment and I think with a proper structure, the Silence would have been more effective villains.

I look forward to series 7, one that I imagine will be, for better or worse, Matt Smith's last.

Paul McGann is the forgotten Doctor. Sure, the TV movie is trash, but he was awesome. I don't know why Davies just completely ignored him when going about jump starting the show in 2005. Hopefully they write him into the 50th anniversary episode somehow.