All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
talli wrote:
jake088800 wrote:In terms of 3D paving the way for the future, I don't think that's going to happen in the way many imagine. I don't think that all movies will be in 3D, or even half. It's only going to work for mega-productions and animated films and others that want to specifically use the technology. This isn't something like the introduction of color film where eventually all studios had to utilize it in order to compete. 3D is simply an alternative way of shooting. It's not going to dominate the market. The majority of films will be at a disadvantage using it. Could you imagine movies like "Revolutionary Road" or "The Departed" in 3D? I would never have seen them.

why cant you imagine them in 3D? any movie in 3D will only ADD to the suspense of belief, and enforce the illusion of a film....it will make you feel like you're in the room with the characters, spying on them. Think about the tense moments in revolutionary road or departed, and being in the room, yet not being see. You're a ghost in the room. It will be incredible.

I think 3D is definitely going to take off. They've already decided to make robin hood, and clash of titans 3D after Avatar came out. Albeit, these are action flicks, it's only a few years before 3D creeps into all genre of movies.
I disagree that 3D will add to the suspension of disbelief for every movie. I think for small dramas (Rev. Road) and crime dramas (The Departed), to name a few genres, will not benefit at all from 3D...rather, I honestly think 3D will hinder it. 3D is undoubtedly growing, but it's not going to consume the market...there's just no way. In a small room where Leonardo DiCaprio is screaming at Kate Winslet, I think 3D will distract from the mood and emotion. My friends and I were discussing the whole 3D thing the other day, and we loved Avatar (after the first viewing), but we all prefer regular "2D" better. We felt like 3D almost calls attention to itself, which is why Avatar was so amazing. That may be because it's new and we're simply not used to it, but I don't think that's the case. I don't really know what else to say other than my opinion that 3D is not going to balloon into this thing that will transform all of cinema. In 10 years I can imagine going to a movie theater and seeing what we see today: a few movies in 3D, but the majority just regular.

3D is great for action epics, and animation, besides that I see no point.

CrazyEight wrote:3D is great for action epics, and animation, besides that I see no point.
Yeah, there is no point in making Memento 3D.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Ok, finally I went to see Avatar yesterday in Imax 3D (by the way, no headache occured), and I think some of you will gonna hate me but it's my opinion. The movie is visually stunning and...nothing else. Is kind of boring and so predictable. The whole visual thing is not enought for me. I saw this story many times, the characters are plain, black or white, very bad or very good. I really was expecting more. It's just a beautiful fairy tale for kids, just for me.
And I'm kind of sad that this movie will can beat TDK at the box office (already did it worldwide, just hit the billion mark). TDK is not the best movie of all time, but for me, is miles away from avatar, much more deep and stunning.
I'm sorry but I feel so disapoint right now that I think I can't be objective. I don't feel connected with the story at all. Very much different that went to see TDK.

apw
I just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D. I thought the film was great. Plot was basic but I was never bored. I have never been a fan of 3D and I don't think I will ever be. Seeing the massive IMAX screen just made me hope that Nolan gets to make a film fully in IMAX.

3D is just a commercial venture. Not a creative one. Hollywood isn't going to give up on 3D anytime soon (sadly). I find it odd that so many directors want to go down the 3D route. The benefit of seeing a film in 3D is almost negligible, in my opinion.

natalie wrote:Ok, finally I went to see Avatar yesterday in Imax 3D (by the way, no headache occured), and I think some of you will gonna hate me but it's my opinion. The movie is visually stunning and...nothing else. Is kind of boring and so predictable. The whole visual thing is not enought for me. I saw this story many times, the characters are plain, black or white, very bad or very good. I really was expecting more. It's just a beautiful fairy tale for kids, just for me.
And I'm kind of sad that this movie will can beat TDK at the box office (already did it worldwide, just hit the billion mark). TDK is not the best movie of all time, but for me, is miles away from avatar, much more deep and stunning.
I'm sorry but I feel so disapoint right now that I think I can't be objective. I don't feel connected with the story at all. Very much different that went to see TDK.

imo, not all characters were black and white

the two antagonists were... stephen lang, and giovanni ribisi were very twisted.

sam worthington, zoe seldana, and the rest of the main na'vi characters weren't black and white. I think this movie was deeper than dark knight. Dark Knight was more of a magic show, the characters were very interesting, but it didnt move me emotionally. There's nothing emotional about the movie, imo. Avatar, did that. I think it was the na'vi relationship to nature that is driving force in this movie, and if you were open to that, it would have been hard to not be moved by the story.

There's nothing "deep" about Avatar. That's not to say it's a bad film, but it's pretty much what you see is what you get. I was actually shocked at the lack of any real subtext in the film.

Eternalist wrote:There's nothing "deep" about Avatar. That's not to say it's a bad film, but it's pretty much what you see is what you get. I was actually shocked at the lack of any real subtext in the film.

deep emotionally....the characters speak how they feel, so yeah, their words are pretty much a representation of what they are

feeling>thinking