All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
talli wrote:
Robin wrote:In Dark Knight you are, unlike Avatar, always a step behind the story and what the characters might do. It's called storytelling... Anyways - I usually hate these type of films but Nolan's Batman franchise is the real deal. It's up there with Judgment Day as one of the best action films.
yes, but you're only looking at things on the surface...
Let me think about Avatar's "debt". hmmm, i see.... nothing, like most people without their dick in Cameron's ass (no offence)

i think you're trying to look at a piece of art intellectually and thats why you cant see its beauty. art is not intellectual buddy. its spiritual. Nolan is a smart film maker, but his movies challenge me mentally, not emotionally. I think Avatar made me realize this, actually. Avatar challenged me to feel with all of my being. Dark Knight is like a shiny toy. Avatar is like a plain toy with lots of intangible things attached to it. You can play with both, and see the beauty of both if you open yourself to it. Both are great for their own reasons, but you cant judge one based on the characteristics of the other.
I only compared Dark Knight to Avatar because you asked what i felt about the film. But when i read you statments I understand that I should quit watching films with my brain turned on and "just feel the movie". That, my friend, is just plain ridiculous. Bad dialog is bad dialog, just like a toy is a toy.
@sammyjankis88

Robin wrote:
talli wrote: i think you're trying to look at a piece of art intellectually and thats why you cant see its beauty. art is not intellectual buddy. its spiritual. Nolan is a smart film maker, but his movies challenge me mentally, not emotionally. I think Avatar made me realize this, actually. Avatar challenged me to feel with all of my being. Dark Knight is like a shiny toy. Avatar is like a plain toy with lots of intangible things attached to it. You can play with both, and see the beauty of both if you open yourself to it. Both are great for their own reasons, but you cant judge one based on the characteristics of the other.
I only compared Dark Knight to Avatar because you asked what i felt about the film. But when i read you statments I understand that I should quit watching films with my brain turned on and "just feel the movie". That, my friend, is just plain ridiculous. Bad dialog is bad dialog, just like a toy is a toy.

dont turn your brain off, but turn off the critic within you, turn off the intellect, and turn it back on at the end of the movie. These things will prevent you from enjoying any piece of art. You must first experience the art, and then you can spy back on it with the intellect, and you will see much deeper into these things. You have had read too many reviews praising avatar, and the skeptic within you, turned onto auto pilot while watching this movie. as a result you were looking for flaws within the movie, WHILE watching the movie. You cannot experience something, if you do not give yourself up to it completely. If you had been doing the same thing throughout dark knight, you would have walked out of the theater, feeling the same exact way. You're analysis would have disconnected you from the movie, and wouldnt have allowed you to penetrate deeper into it. You would not experience the wholeness of it.

Hahahahaha
@sammyjankis88

The Dark Knight did not have great dialogue. It wasn't much better then AVATAR actually.

"I knew the risks when I took this job lieutenant."

"I can get him to sing."

"Have a nice trip, see you next fall."

Very corny.

Robin wrote:Hahahahaha
Visually AVATAR was 10x better then The Dark Knight. It was a much more beautiful film. AVATAR is also 10x more creative then The Dark Knight, the jungles, the creatures, its just great. But The Dark Knight has better writing, acting, and story. AVATAR does not have stupid or boring story, it's characters are engaging and by the end of the movie you feel some kind of a connection to them, and it's beautiful and creative. For those reasons it is a good movie, and for the other reasons The Dark Knight is a good movie. It is not black and white.

talli wrote:
Bueller wrote:
deep emotionally....the characters speak how they feel, so yeah, their words are pretty much a representation of what they are

feeling>thinking
Good dialogue shouldn't tell you how the characters are feeling all the time. In fact, that is the very definition of poor writing. I hope Avatar's dialogue is more subtle than you are suggesting.

actually you're wrong

the honesty of dialogue depends on the character...some characters use dialogue as a mask

but consider the nature of the Na'vi people. They are very pure. They are in tune with nature. They are feeling creatures, spiritual. It makes 100% sense for them to say how they feel.
I'm sorry I lost the track, are you talking about na'vi or hobbits?

By the way, if you guys love James Cameron and Avatar so much, why not find another forum where you coud spread all your love and good news about the boxoffice.

apw
Avatar is a very unoriginal film for an original film.

The very basic plot has been done 100 times before.
Last edited by apw on January 4th, 2010, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By the way, if you guys love James Cameron and Avatar so much, why not find another forum where you coud spread all your love and good news about the boxoffice.
So if you like and respect other filmmakers besides Nolan you should find another forum? Last I checked this site is called "Nolan Fans" not "Nolan Fan boys" and the thread you are posting in is dedicated to AVATAR in the Entertainment section which is dedicated to "All non-Nolan related entertainment and discussion". If Inception breaks records I will be very happy for it and cheer it on all the way, Just like I am for AVATAR. I am a Nolan fan, and so is everyone on this site, but I am also a Cameron fan, a Jackson fan, a Spielburg fan, a Tarantino fan, a Ritchie fan and a fan of countless other filmmakers. So why don't you leave this thread and not come back if you don't want to accept and be happy for AVATAR making over a billion dollars worldwide. In the AVATAR thread, we have every right to talk about how great Cameron and AVATAR is. You don't have to be bitter about it beating The Dark Knight in the box office.

CrazyEight wrote:
So if you like and respect other filmmakers besides Nolan you should find another forum? Last I checked this site is called "Nolan Fans" not "Nolan Fan boys" and the thread you are posting in is dedicated to AVATAR in the Entertainment section which is dedicated to "All non-Nolan related entertainment and discussion". If Inception breaks records I will be very happy for it and cheer it on all the way, Just like I am for AVATAR. I am a Nolan fan, and so is everyone on this site, but I am also a Cameron fan, a Jackson fan, a Spielburg fan, a Tarantino fan, a Ritchie fan and a fan of countless other filmmakers. So why don't you leave this thread and not come back if you don't want to accept and be happy for AVATAR making over a billion dollars worldwide. In the AVATAR thread, we have every right to talk about how great Cameron and AVATAR is. You don't have to be bitter about it beating The Dark Knight in the box office.

its incredible how close minded nolan stans are. This thread actually made me realize it, whereas i was unaware of it before. You would think they would be smarter than this. Actually, i should have known better because fanatics of intellectual artists are usually the most close minded, regardless of the form of art.

CrazyEight wrote:
Robin wrote:Hahahahaha
Visually AVATAR was 10x better then The Dark Knight. It was a much more beautiful film. AVATAR is also 10x more creative then The Dark Knight, the jungles, the creatures, its just great. But The Dark Knight has better writing, acting, and story. AVATAR does not have stupid or boring story, it's characters are engaging and by the end of the movie you feel some kind of a connection to them, and it's beautiful and creative. For those reasons it is a good movie, and for the other reasons The Dark Knight is a good movie. It is not black and white.
Why am I wasting my time on this?

Nevermind my criticism, Avatar is one of the monumental achievements in the history of mankind. When the effects age, Avatar will still remaine a masterpiece because of... ehh ... it's awesome and looked good when it came out.

When you get older and seen more films - you'll understand..
@sammyjankis88