What was the last movie you've watched?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Watched Black Swan with friends (who hadn't seen it) last night. Obviously one feigns enthusiasm when introducing others to a film, for example when we realise that Nina's night of passion with Lily was a figment of her imagination, which was a genuinely pathetic moment, but beneath the surface I was always re-evaluating the film (must be this forum's influence). The transformation into the black swan (my favourite part on first watch) seemed a bit silly and rushed when watching it with others, Nina's constant whingeing seemed a lot worse, and her death seemed a lot less important. On second watch I revised my rating from 6/10 to 4/10. It really doesn't have the rewatchability factor, this film.

Blue Valentine (2010) - 8,6/10.

Ryan Gosling is great. :D

RIFA wrote:Blue Valentine (2010) - 8,6/10.

He's so good. I hope he gets an Oscar nod, but I doubt it will happen.

RomanM wrote:
RIFA wrote:Blue Valentine (2010) - 8,6/10.

He's so good. I hope he gets an Oscar nod, but I doubt it will happen.
He better. It seems him, Javier bardem, Sam rockwell, & even Leonardo dicaprio have been seriously over-looked.
"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.

Brokeback mountain (2004)-8/10. great movie. :thumbup:

Man i cant belive 3 years ago today, HEATH DIED. :( :(
"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.

He's losing respect to loud morons on the internet. Hollywood still knows whose their daddy.

Exactly. I actually think his last decade (2000s) produced some of the better films in his filmography. Sure he made three Sci-fi films during this period, but that shouldn't degrade what he accomplished. War of the Worlds is the best (and most underrated) disaster film ever made, works extremely well both as a post-9/11 meditation and a moving portrayal of how people respond to crisis. I now personally consider A.I. Artificial Intelligence as one of the best Sci-Fi films ever made, after multiple viewings and quite a lot of thinking.

People really need to explain why they trashed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Despite all the nonsense that's been said about it, it's actually a serious movie. The nuclear explosion scene is almost too shocking and wonderful for people to accept. Indiana Jones is witnessing the birth of modernity and the start of the nuclear age. It paid a tribute to the pulp fiction of that time and it still strikes me to see how many people don't know what it is about.

Kick-Ass

Title explains opinion.
8/10
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

The King's Speech. 8/10

Firth has the oscar in the bag. I still prefer Franco but when Firth wins I won't complain. It's sad Rush has to lose to Bale. He was great as well. He was the only thing keeping me involved for a while.

Most the time I just wanted to slap Firth. I can't sympathize with the Duke of York even if he does have a hard life sometimes. Your FUCKING royalty. Suck it up and be king cry baby. I do feel bad his parents forced him to be right handed. That is what prob messed him up.
Say Girl

Crazy Eight wrote:
He's losing respect to loud morons on the internet. Hollywood still knows whose their daddy.
He's losing respect to morons with short term memory. Sure Kingdom of the Crystal Skull left a bitter taste in peoples mouths; which means one could argue he hasn't made a good film in 6 years. But I agree, Spielberg is still king, he just needs to come out and prove that he's still on the top of the food chain and he'll gain his respect back from the internet fanboys.
A lot of top directors can make misfires. Spielberg has made sooooo many classics and good movies (even if they aren't classics) that something like Crystal Skull really shouldn't change people's outlook on his career.

Films that have critical acclaim and good fan reviews (no order).

Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Munich
Catch Me If You Can
Minority Report
Jurassic Park
Jaws
Indianna Jones first and third in series (heck you could put the second in there)
Empire of the Sun
E.T.
War of the Worlds
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

You could have half that list as a director and be considered pretty darn good

Many of those films set box office records when they released as well. Most distinguished film director of all time. 3.5 billion dollars off of making movies. Insanity.