Prometheus (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
07202012 wrote:Just stop talking about The Avengers, this is a thread for Prometheus.
Personally, I agree. I did not start this conversation, but I think I've already said everything thta had to be said.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

didich wrote:
07202012 wrote:Just stop talking about The Avengers, this is a thread for Prometheus.
Personally, I agree. I did not start this conversation, but I think I've already said everything thta had to be said.
I brought it up and I'm sorry.
Red Hood wrote:Prometheus is an amazing movie but it won't get anything like Best Picture. But I hope it wins Visual Effects over The Avengers, but I doubt it's going to happen.

Red Hood wrote:
didich wrote:
I brought it up and I'm sorry.
Red Hood wrote:Prometheus is an amazing movie but it won't get anything like Best Picture. But I hope it wins Visual Effects over The Avengers, but I doubt it's going to happen.
Actually, I didn't argue about that. I agree about the visuals effects. I just asked if you really though that Prometheus was Best picture material (and why) and all went downhill from there.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

didich wrote:
Nothing that you said really HAD to be said. You basically wrote a novel defending your personal taste. You also went in with numbers from RT/IMDB to prove something. Just because a movie has better ratings that doesn't mean it's better especially since they're not even FROM THE SAME GENRE. Maybe Avengers is a better CBM than Prometheus is a mystery/horror, and I might even agree with that. However, that doesn't mean Avengers is better just because of that. Most don't rate movies comparing them to others. It's idiotic.

As for what you wrote... I could easily suggest you try to shorten your ideas because a lot of what you said could have been said in fewer words and that way you would have had avoided the nonsensical part in your post.

RIFA wrote:Nothing that you said really HAD to be said. You basically wrote a novel defending your personal taste.
Sorry if it bothered you. Of course I'll defend my tastes, everyone does, but I think the way I do it is the imporant aspect of my post. I just answered to the replies I considered arguable and I think I used logical arguments when defending my position. Besides, I were able to conclude with you in some aspects, like the Visual Effects, so I think I've been quite coherent with the discussion as a whole, in the sense that I learned something from you, the same way you can learn something from me.

It had to be said, because The Avengers is Nolan Fans' collective punching bag. The hate is much less ravenous now, I agree, but I've been reading older posts and sometimes the amount of unncesary bitchering borders on ridiculous, specially those who are disrespectful against the people who like the movie, which is something I'll never be able to comprehend.

It had to be said to ilustrate that there are people who genuinely consider it a great film, and who are able to argument it.

Besides, you asked me a question. I just tried to answer it the best way I could. I wrote a novel because, to anwser you properly without looking like an obtuse fanboy, I had to argument my position. If you prefer, next time you ask why I consider The Avengers to be the better movie I'll answer 'Explosions! :tooexcited: ', instead of choosing to discuss it like civilized people, so you can label me as a troll and move on.
RIFA wrote:You also went in with numbers from RT/IMDB to prove something.
No. I wasn't trying to prove anything with the numbers, they're just an example to complement my argumentation or, as you said, my novel.

I mean... I gave my fair share of logical arguments to defend my position but, as you said (and I agree with such an affirmation) they're obviously affected by my view on the film. The same can be said with you and Prometheus. If both positions make sense (which i think they do), how would you try to make an opinion more objective? Both films are too young, maybe in ten years Prometheus will be regarded as a classic and numbers will be meaningless, but as of now I'm not entierly sure of how to value a film while being completely objective. I do have a mathematical mind, I just went for statistics because it's something i'm familiar with, but I never said they were an absolute, just another element to care about.
RIFA wrote:Just because a movie has better ratings that doesn't mean it's better especially since they're not even FROM THE SAME GENRE. Maybe Avengers is a better CBM than Prometheus is a mystery/horror, and I might even agree with that. However, that doesn't mean Avengers is better just because of that. Most don't rate movies comparing them to others. It's idiotic.
Completely agree with this. But then we go back to Problem Nº1: How do you decide which is better? Personally, I would not compare and respect the opinions of those who can argument them, but this discussion started because someone brought up the film to an unrelated conversation, probably because he knew it's a film I like and he knew it would be a good way to make me angry after a comment which, although ilustrated my opinion, was (I admit) unnecesarily rude.
RIFA wrote:As for what you wrote... I could easily suggest you try to shorten your ideas because a lot of what you said could have been said in fewer words and that way you would have had avoided the nonsensical part in your post.
Thanks for the suggestion. My thought processing is quite complex and sometimes it's difficult for me to express my ideas without huge walls of details.

But, on the other side, I think that everything I said makes sense, from a certain point of view. You may not agree with it, but I think I used logic and coherence during my argumentation, sticking to what happens in the film.

Guys really? FUCK.

didich wrote:It had to be said, because The Avengers is Nolan Fans' collective punching bag.
No it isn't.
didich wrote:It had to be said to ilustrate that there are people who genuinely consider it a great film
We already know that.
didich wrote:and who are able to argument it.
We still haven't found the person that can do that really well.
didich wrote:No. I wasn't trying to prove anything with the numbers, they're just an example to complement my argumentation
So basically... you were trying to prove something.
didich wrote:My thought processing is quite complex
Please.
didich wrote:But, on the other side, I think that everything I said makes sense, from a certain point of view.
From a certain point of view. I agree.

RIFA wrote:
didich wrote:It had to be said, because The Avengers is Nolan Fans' collective punching bag.
No it isn't.
Could have fooled me. And don't misquote, I've already said such reactions have faded with time.
RIFA wrote: We already know that.
Really? Then show some respect. You could have started if you had not written the phrase below.
RIFA wrote:
didich wrote:and who are able to argument it.
We still haven't found the person that can do that really well.
Thanks for the compliment. One of my own: Maybe you were more concentrated in discrediting me than reading my arguments to see if I lied or was being obtuse. Maybe you're too convinced of your own opinion to be able to accept that another one may be also correct.

But hey, these are just possibilities. Maybe I'm a mulish prick who doesn't accept any other opinion whatsoever... But let me doubt it.

Again, I just tried to answer it the best way I could. I wrote a novel because, to anwser you properly without looking like an obtuse fanboy, I had to argument my position. If you prefer, next time you ask why I consider The Avengers to be the better movie I'll answer 'Explosions! :tooexcited: ', instead of choosing to discuss it like civilized people, so you can label me as a troll and move on.

Let's agree to disagree, at least.
RIFA wrote:
didich wrote:No. I wasn't trying to prove anything with the numbers, they're just an example to complement my argumentation
So basically... you were trying to prove something.
Not with the numbers. The arguments were important, the numbers were not, just complementary.
RIFA wrote:
didich wrote:My thought processing is quite complex
Please.
What? I was just trying to justify my mistakes. It's a problem of my own.

~ LOL ~

-m4st4

Let's just stop with these pointless arguments. Prometheus was a love it or hate it movie. I loved it. It won't get any major Oscar nods (Best Picture, Acting, Screenplay) but it will get nominations in sound mixing and visual effects.