Godzilla (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This was quite generic. Some nice set designs but bring on Xmen.

shauner111 wrote:
Erik wrote:Went to see it today.
I am usually the guy that still finds enjoyment in bad movies. I recall seeing the latest Die Hard in cinema and still being entertained (although, I will definately not say it's a good film). The new Godzilla however, is in my opinion one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. I read a critic review that gave it a 2/5. I couldn't believe that rating, but I can now.
Im not sure if i can understand where you're coming from. Saying it's a bad movie feels weird to me considering it was visually stunning, the monster fights were incredibly fun and at least we had Cranston doing some good acting. A mediocre rating is perfectly understandable but saying that you enjoyed the last Die Hard but thought Godzilla was one of the worst films you've seen. Hmmm. You at least must see some pretty good movies most of the time.
shauner111 wrote:Why not? Everything is a matter of opinion.
Boom. On the other hand, at least he didn't say it was a 'piece of shit'.

Edit: Godzilla is a b.o. king!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3845&p=.htm

Godzilla-King of the Box office. Savior of 2014 Summer Movies?

shauner111 wrote:
Erik wrote:Went to see it today.
I am usually the guy that still finds enjoyment in bad movies. I recall seeing the latest Die Hard in cinema and still being entertained (although, I will definately not say it's a good film). The new Godzilla however, is in my opinion one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. I read a critic review that gave it a 2/5. I couldn't believe that rating, but I can now.
Im not sure if i can understand where you're coming from. Saying it's a bad movie feels weird to me considering it was visually stunning, the monster fights were incredibly fun and at least we had Cranston doing some good acting. A mediocre rating is perfectly understandable but saying that you enjoyed the last Die Hard but thought Godzilla was one of the worst films you've seen. Hmmm. You at least must see some pretty good movies most of the time.
In every scene they managed to let the charater do the most unlogical thing possible. Let me explain:
Let's start with the opening credits. We see militairy people try to kill a monster in the pacific. It is unclear if they succeeded or not.
Philipines: when they reveal that the first MUTO has gone into the water, my friend next to me said "oh and they didn't see that from the air?" I sarcasticly said it was too big to see from a helicopter.
Moving on to Japan. I don't have much to say about the first act, apart from Cranston character being one big conspiracy-guy cliche. I didn't think Cranston was overacting, I just did not like his character. Then MUTO escapes.
We move on to Hawaaii. Ford is on a train that stops due to an EMP. When the lights go on again, we see a giant monster on the track ahead of us. That's where the train starts running again. There must be nearly 100 people on that train, but no one pulls the emergancy brake? Where's the common sense people?
A Tsunami is comming. People start running. We see a dog tied up to a tree. In the very next scene, the dog is running awa. What happened? Did someone set him free? Did the leash break? What?
People run through the streets trying to keep ahead from the Tsunami. They run right by some tall buildings but don't seem to think that a tall building would save them. Again, where is the common sense? The Hilton hotel is right there.
There is this one guy that makes it in, right before the water turns the street into an aquarium. That glass would have shattered in pieces by the force of the water. Gojira rises up to fight MUTO. Next scene fight's over. Did we just miss 15 minutes of filmscenes? What happened. Oh, Navy is sailing side by side with Gojira. I guess they suddenly trust that second giant monster.
Move on to San Fransisco. Fords wife gets a call from Ford. They haven't spoken since Japan, I would have thought she would run towards the phone, but no.
Militairy comes with a new plan: blow up nuclear waste eating monster with nuclear weapons. Really?
Also it appears there's a second MUTO. Where did that come from apart from Nevada. Again a track mark out of that mountain that wasn't seen from the air? First time, I bought it, this was stupid.
The Golden Gate Bridge in SF should have collapsed when that first huge cable was blown into pieces.
When Ford is around to check the train bridge, they clear it and suddenly MUTO appears. They have an open radio, but no one calls in to stop the train? Where is the common sense? Are these people playing militairy?
Ford jumps of the bridge into the water. Next scene: he's lying between the debris covered in mudd and dust. The water looked clear to me.
Fords wife leaves her son to wait for Ford. That's just stupid. If Ford's dead, she can't change it. If he's alive, they'll find each other when this is over. By stying behind, she risks the possibility that her son is going to lose both of his parrents.
Ford heads into town to disarm the nuke. The door of the nuke is jammed. Al that militairy people, all their tools and they can not open a door? It's glass, smash it with a riffle! Okay plan B then.

They say Gojira is natures way to bring balance. Nature has 3 ways of creating balance:
Diseases and virusses, natural disasters and the food chain. Gojira was neither of them. He just killed the MUTO's.

I hear people say it was well written, but I can not say I agree. There is no logic at all in this film. Usually I would say " it's like they weren't even trying", but this time it felt like they tried exactly to do the most unlogical thing.
The ammount of cars being trashed in the first act of Die Hard 5 makes more sense than a single scene from this film.

For the people who did like it and hate me for this now, just remember that I'm the guy that thinks The Last Airbender is underrated. What do I know, right? Just enjoy your movie and don't listen to me.

In other news, holy shit Erik just posted in the entertainment section.

Here we go again, I guess. Time for people to nitpick the wrong things, a la Prometheus. Intense, adrenaline-pumping action sequences picked apart because characters in disorienting, life-or-death situations aren't acting in perfectly rational ways. Nevermind that the true sins of both Prometheus and Godzilla are the fact that their themes are half-baked and muddled by rewrites. No, it seems the movie's true failure is that characters who were just hit by an EMP and saw a gigantic monster ravaging their city aren't quick enough in finding and pulling the emergency break.

2/5. Why aren't characters as smart as the rational, removed audiences who sit in the comfort of their padded chairs munching popcorn and complaining that they weren't thinking clearly?

o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:Here we go again, I guess. Time for people to nitpick the wrong things, a la Prometheus. Intense, adrenaline-pumping action sequences picked apart because characters in disorienting, life-or-death situations aren't acting in perfectly rational ways. Nevermind that the true sins of both Prometheus and Godzilla are the fact that their themes are half-baked and muddled by rewrites. No, it seems the movie's true failure is that characters who were just hit by an EMP and saw a gigantic monster ravaging their city aren't quick enough in finding and pulling the emergency break.

2/5. Why aren't characters as smart as the rational, removed audiences who sit in the comfort of their padded chairs munching popcorn and complaining that they weren't thinking clearly?
It's not one thing that bothered me, the list goes on and on. Even now, I remember I forgot two things:
-Most militairy vehicles are made to resist an EMP. That was nowhere seen.
-while SF is being evacuated because of the monsters, there is a scene where you can still see people working in an office. Like what?
And I probably forgot even more. I really liked Prometheus. I can find some things that could have been done better in that film, but my Prometheus list would not be as big as the one above. A CGI fight between two monsters does not impress me anymore if there isn't a good story behind it. Everything is possible with CGI, except apparently a good script with a budget to create good CGI. It's always one or the other.

A Tsunami is comming. People start running. We see a dog tied up to a tree. In the very next scene, the dog is running awa. What happened? Did someone set him free? Did the leash break? What?
Um, yeah.
Hence the shot of the leash breaking and the loud snapping sound.

SilverHeart wrote:
Um, yeah.
Hence the shot of the leash breaking and the loud snapping sound.
Okay, apperently I missed that. Nevermind this point then .

Erik wrote:A CGI fight between two monsters does not impress me anymore if there isn't a good story behind it. Everything is possible with CGI, except apparently a good script...
Then why didn't you list that as your primary criticism? Why a drawn-out laundry list of mistakes characters make during a truly harrowing and disorienting event of that size and scope? A lack of thematic cohesion is a much more important criticism than sitting back and judging the way in which scared people act from the comfort of your theater. Plus, as SilverHeart pointed out above me, some of your criticisms of how the characters act can be explained with a better attention paid to the movie.

I guess my frustration comes from calling a movie the worst you've seen in awhile and then justifying that hyperbolic claim with an exhausting list of nitpicks. People acting irrationally during events of mass-death is not a damning or searing criticism worthy of your initial claim. There are many problems with this movie, I agree, but historical events (as recent as September 11th) have proven that people acting hysterically during catastrophes is not out of the realm of possibility.