Elysium (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
You know what will get you hyped for Elysium? See District 9 after a long time, like I did few days back. It's such a refreshing genre gem, different from anything that's been released in recent years, or in that particular year (2009 if I'm correct).

Skipped out on Oblivion, waiting for this. Ironically I didn't dig District 9 as much as I thought I would during its theatrical run. I was shopping for BD's one day and figured "What the hell, I'll give it another shot.." and kinda fell it love with it since then. Same thing happened with Ducan Jone's Moon. As far as I'm concerned these are the only two directors putting out good mainstream sic-fi at the moment... And Nolan of course :P

Really looking forward to this one though. Feels like it will be an almost "spiritual sequel" to D9.

When the movie comes out, all of you will be eating it up, praise Blomkamp !

d4mi4n wrote:You know what will get you hyped for Elysium? See District 9 after a long time, like I did few days back. It's such a refreshing genre gem, different from anything that's been released in recent years, or in that particular year (2009 if I'm correct).
I need to watch it again. It's been a few years since I popped in my copy. I really like the movie. It just isn't something I can watch often. It's pretty great tho. Wikus is a good anti-hero. I enjoyed laughing at his painful process of becoming a decent human being... or whatever :lol:
Say Girl

Peace wrote:
d4mi4n wrote:You know what will get you hyped for Elysium? See District 9 after a long time, like I did few days back. It's such a refreshing genre gem, different from anything that's been released in recent years, or in that particular year (2009 if I'm correct).
I need to watch it again. It's been a few years since I popped in my copy. I really like the movie. It just isn't something I can watch often. It's pretty great tho. Wikus is a good anti-hero. I enjoyed laughing at his painful process of becoming a decent human being... or whatever :lol:
Watch it, like - soon enough. Make sure it's a Blu-ray copy.

Jax_Teller wrote:When the movie comes out, all of you will be eating it up, praise Blomkamp !
Okay, fanatic! :lol:

d4mi4n wrote:
Peace wrote:
Watch it, like - soon enough. Make sure it's a Blu-ray copy.

Jax_Teller wrote:When the movie comes out, all of you will be eating it up, praise Blomkamp !
Okay, fanatic! :lol:
I'll watch it when I wanna watch it lol

I own it on blu. I know how great it is. I just need to be inspired to watch it again and right now I'm not :neutral:
Say Girl

Peace wrote: I'll watch it when I wanna watch it lol
Okay big guy. :|

d4mi4n wrote:
Peace wrote: I'll watch it when I wanna watch it lol
Okay big guy. :|
I'm playing with you. I will watch it sometime within the next few months.
Say Girl

Got to speak to a really cool dude face to face who saw the 10 minute presentation at The Grove. He swears up and down that the trailer doesn't do the footage justice. He wasn't implying that the trailer was bad or anything, but just that it doesn't reveal much. He said compared to the sizzle reel... the shot of the exploding droid was the only real BIG shot in the trailer. He said there's so much hand to hand combat and gunplay that people are going to be blown away when they get to see it play out in full sequences.

I liked the trailer. If there's two things Blomkamp is doing right now that most other filmmakers can't, it's 1. he knows how to make a copious amount of FX shots look 100% photorealistic, and 2. the overall visual design is recognizably his - which means that you can't compare his style to anyone else. Those are 2 great things to have going for you.

P.S. the budget IS only 90 million. Blomkamp told Anne Thompson from indiewire that at Comic Con last year.

P.S.S. Kristopher Tapley also ended up confirming that the person he heard from who didn't like the pre-screening was from an individual that wasn't predisposed to a film like this before, meaning: that person isn't some film fanatic or a fan of science fiction. Just a general audience member that got to see the screening since they showed up. Tapley only confirmed from OFFICIAL sources that The Great Gatsby is an enormous mess.

Well, quite a few reactions have been available around, but mostly on non-finished versions, but they were all raving. Honestly, this seems like the kind of movie that can appeal to a wider audience, and not just geeks or sci-fi fans, although, as with comic book movies, or stuff like Star Trek, I feel you're kind of predisposed to love it more (if you do like it) than non-film fanatics as you say.

Kind of how I lost my sh it seeing District 9 or The Avengers for the first time, when some audience member could be like "yeah it was a nice movie, that's it".

Script on Elysium is great, the movie will rock, no doubt about it, one of the best of 2013 to come.