Elysium (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ComptonTerry wrote:First look at Sharlto Copely

Transformation confirmed.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:

Transformation confirmed.
+1
Brave New World

Copley rises.

Sharlto will own this. But we really need a teaser.

Allstar wrote:I was hoping the rumored Sam Worthington was going to star but I guess Matt is a good second option!
:|
Brave New World

He looks so fucking cool.
When can we expect a teaser?

I've had the fortune of speaking to two very well articulate individuals who saw the most recent private screenings for this movie. You can take my word at face value - or you can think I'm lying - but for those of you worried about the overall quality of this film, do not worry. Blomkamp has apparently attended a couple of these screenings (he definitely attended one back in June - no idea if he attended the one back in October) but apparently he was heavily involved with the feedback.

If you don't want to be spoiled then read no further... but here are a couple of quick blurbs if you REALLY want to know how this film is coming along:
The film still features unfinished FX. But even with what was unfinished, the film is apparently (and I quote) a "visual marvel."

The action is extremely visceral and hard hitting. Similar to D9, it's crisply choreographed and cohesively edited.

The weapons, while not as versatile as the alien weaponry in D9, is overall "Better" due to the damage they impose. Also, both "reviewers" highlighted the art design of all the tech. In fact, they highlighted the art design of the film in general.

Sharlto Copley and Matt Damon give the best performances, especially the former.

Now, here comes a low-light: both individuals - who do not know each other by the way, as I talked to them seperately - both conceded that Jodie Foster was apparently "ABYSMAL." I mean, they really laid into her performance. They even speculated that the re-shoots are probably exclusively for her scenes only (this would actually explain why Matt Damon was only needed for two days worth of re-shoots).

There were some slight pacing issues, but nothing too jarring. Apparently, the film they saw was close to three hours long. They said that more time in the editing room will equate to this film being an absolute barn burner of an action film.

They used a temp score from Inception. One of the guys found it increasingly annoying, but mainly because he said a lot of the test screenings he's attended in recent memory use the same music, lol.

And when I finally asked the two of them if Neill Blomkamp is as every bit as worthy as being compared to a James Cameron or George Lucas, they both basically said "Absolutely" without any bit of hesitation. They said the film's biggest highlight is without a doubt all of the world building Blomkamp has done both on the space torus and on the dilapidated earth. They both superlatively praised all of the gadgets and effects that WETA Workshop and Image Engine put together.
So, there you have it. My optimism remains as high as ever. :)

Those responses bode well for the movie. Hopefully there will be a trailer soon.