Top 10 Movies of 2023

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Mid-year assessment:

- The two strongest ones are definitely Air and Guardians of the Galaxy. I highly recommend Air, even if you're not a Jordan fan - great performances by Damon, Davis and especially Chris Messina. Affleck directs it in an old drama style with good music and finds the human element to make you invested despite what you'd think a silly subject
- Scream VI is the only film I've seen twice in the cinema this year because it's just so much fun

Other films in the link:
https://letterboxd.com/lelekpl/list/fil ... 23/detail/
Top 17 are all good movies, top 25 are solid. The rest is pure mediocrity, or experimental movies that just didn't click with me, but some might find them impressive - Beau is Afraid (completing my personal "Joaquin Phoenix Starring as Insufferable Characters" trilogy - along with Her and Joker), Skinamarink and Enys Men.
Last edited by LelekPL on December 29th, 2023, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

1. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

End of year update of the best movies of 2023, here is my top 20:

And the link to all 92 feature films I saw this year (not counting documentaries)
https://letterboxd.com/lelekpl/list/fil ... 23/detail/

I more or less enjoyed 62 of those, so that's a nice percentage. Barbenheimer truly delivered for me as I loved both movies but I was also a fan of Polish movies coming out this year - The Peasants, Green Border and Forbidden Love; it was the year of great "product movies" - Barbie, Air, Blackberry, Tetris; female directed movies - Barbie, Past Lives, Saltburn, Green Border, Anatomy of a Fall. Scorsese, Field, Anderson and Payne delivered again, Scott and Mann less so but I still enjoyed those films; The Equalizer 3 was a perfect dad movie and films like Godzilla Minus One and Evil Dead Rise were pleasant surprises.

The last ten movies are the ones I actively disliked because of how frustrating, boring and just bland they were. Talk to Me (I actively hated the main character so much) and Magic Mike's Last Dance (I liked the previous two films but this one I just didn't care for at all as the stakes didn't really make me care) are probably the biggest shockers on the worst list but the rest is pretty clear why they're at the bottom.

My Top 10

1. Oppenheimer, Christopher Nolan
2. Fallen Leaves, Aki Kaurismäki
3. Asteroid City, Wes Anderson
4. Anatomy of a Fall, Justine Triet
5. Past Lives, Celine Song
6. A Thousand and One, A.V. Rockwell
7. Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret., Kelly Fremon Craig
8. May December), Todd Haynes
9. Passages, Ira Sachs
10. Bottoms, Emma Seligman

Honorable mentions: Killers of the Flower Moon; Theater Camp); Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse; Nimona; You Hurt My Feelings.

Oppenheimer, Asteroid city and Boy and the heron are probably my podium. Also loved The Holdovers. Those are my 9.5 or 10
Then Past Lives, Suzume, Killers of the flower moon. My 8.5 or 9.
And enjoyed a lot Dungeons and dragons. Also 8.5.

The Sound of Freedom
Oppenheimer
Rebel Moon
The Flash
Wonka
Killers of the Flower Moon
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Ferrari
Teen Wolf The Movie
The Pope's Exorcist

I finally assembled a list for 2023 after I caught up with the rest of the films. I still miss a few(About Dry Grasses, Perfect Days, The Settlers and a couple more). I think this I saw a masterpiece and some good to very good movies.

25. Beau is Afraid
24. 20 Days in Mariupol
23. The Royal Hotel
22. Talk to Me
21. To End All War: Oppenheimer & the Atomic Bomb
20. Beyond Utopia
19. Society of the Snow
18. Napoleon
17. Flora and Son
16. American Fiction
15. Master Gardener
14. Fallen Leaves