Sight and Sound Top 100

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
December 6th, 2022, 5:32 am
Demoph wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 8:25 pm
About the IMDB rating, Interstellar is the best rated of the last decade. Always knew it would age like fine wine.
It's the 2nd highest rated after Inception.
Indeed, forgot about Inception, should have said "of the last ten years".
What surprised me when I checked the list is that the last two Avengers movie, Joker or even Parasite were above Interstellar for quite some time, but in the end, they all ended falling behind.

Batfan175 wrote:
December 6th, 2022, 5:40 am
blackColumn wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 6:58 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 11:44 am

Counterpoint: more than 1600 people voted for the present Sight and Sounds top 100, more than in any previous Sight and Sound top 100 list so it has a bigger chance of actually reflecting a broader consensus than in previous years (in 1952, there were only 63 voters from 85 invited, which is not a lot of people). It's quite baffling that in the past so few people had this much influence on what was considered 'great' for so long. That means that at least now there is more variety in terms of taste and experience, which is always a good thing. Also, Imdb user ratings are not reliable, since people who haven't watched a film can just give a film a low rating to review bomb it, for instance. The ratings on sites like Imdb and RT are not a good way of assessing the quality let alone the broader reception of a film because you don't know who is a troll online and who isn't.
The top movies on imdb have been stable for long time and more or less uneffected by review bombing. You see pulp fiction on imdb list. The dark knight. Shawshank Redemption.

I watched Spirited Away this Sunday with a bias against animation medium and it was one of the best I have ever watched. This movie is only animated movie on S&S list and it is placed at no 75. For an animated movie it had to be simply exceptional to be there and it is. Compare it to top entries which, for extra emphasis I would say, are not even 50% of what it is.
Cool. You're allowed to have your opinion and the people who vote in the poll are allowed to have theirs.
You clearly have reading comprehension issues.

When I said some movies benefit from consensus you wrote back about this list having a broader consensus than ever before, which actually makes the problem worse not better.

If we are talking about broader consenus we should look at imdb list where Nolan's movies rank very high.

blackColumn wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 2:41 am
Batfan175 wrote:
blackColumn wrote:
December 5th, 2022, 6:58 pm

The top movies on imdb have been stable for long time and more or less uneffected by review bombing. You see pulp fiction on imdb list. The dark knight. Shawshank Redemption.

I watched Spirited Away this Sunday with a bias against animation medium and it was one of the best I have ever watched. This movie is only animated movie on S&S list and it is placed at no 75. For an animated movie it had to be simply exceptional to be there and it is. Compare it to top entries which, for extra emphasis I would say, are not even 50% of what it is.
Cool. You're allowed to have your opinion and the people who vote in the poll are allowed to have theirs.

When I said some movies benefit from consensus you wrote back about this list having a broader consensus than ever before, which actually makes the problem worse not better.

If we are talking about broader consenus we should look at imdb list where Nolan's movies rank very high.
We're not looking at Imdb, we're looking at the Sight and Sound Poll. It's all just opinions, buddy (and in case of Imdb, not even reliable ones for reasons I explained to you already). There's no way to determine what is objectively the best films ever made. It's just fun to see what the Sight and Sound Poll thinks are the best. I don't need them to reflect my opinion and I don't need to accept what Imdb considers to be the best films either. It's just a list. Looking at the Imdb top 250, I don't think Shawshank is the best film ever made, not by a long shot or that the Godfather or TDK should be at spots 2 and 3. Not even close. That list reflects a different consensus and that's fine too.

Batfan175 wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 8:30 am
blackColumn wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:

I don't think Shawshank is the best film ever made, not by a long shot or that the Godfather or TDK should be at spots 2 and 3. Not even close. That list reflects a different consensus and that's fine too.
What's yor top 10? Can I ask for atleast a rough list?

blackColumn wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 10:20 am
Batfan175 wrote:
blackColumn wrote:

I don't think Shawshank is the best film ever made, not by a long shot or that the Godfather or TDK should be at spots 2 and 3. Not even close. That list reflects a different consensus and that's fine too.
I'd need some time to reflect on what films I would consider to be part of my top 10. I can't provide that list just like that because I'd have to think about it first.

Batfan175 wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 11:00 am
blackColumn wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 10:20 am
Batfan175 wrote:

I'd need some time to reflect on what films I would consider to be part of my top 10. I can't provide that list just like that because I'd have to think about it first.
Hope you do so within a week or two and hope that gives me some interesting recommendations I'd otherwise miss. Cheers ! :gonf:

I treat the list mostly as an interesting snapshot of perceived trends and tastes of that particular place and time, and as extra motivation to fill in some gaps.

Overall, I think the list's general trend towards more abstract or impressionistic cinema and largely away from commercial film generally shows how steeply the MCU/SW/current blockbuster era has only further divided critics and scholars to embrace these other qualities of the medium.

Interesting list for sure. I'm seeing Dielman for the first time ever in a few weeks in theaters, very excited for it.

-Vader