You're elitist if you still go to the theater...

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm still holding on to my physical media, and still regularly buying it (while I still can), so what do I know. I'm not paying $15/month for multiple services where I'm only interested in a tenth of the content on each service, if that. And I'm certainly not paying for the "right" to view something as opposed to owning it.

I think entertainment media as a whole is in a very "stuck" position. It's having an identity crisis. Part of me feels this conspiracy theory of "You will own nothing and be happy", but then the other part of me is looking at printed books and seeing that they're still going strong. 825.7 million physical books were sold in the US last year, an increase of 9% from the previous year, a year where people were staying at home reading. In comparison, only 13 million ebooks were sold last year. Everyone thought the Kindle would be the death of the print industry in 2010 and now it's hardly part of the conversation.

I know that's apples and oranges with movies and TV, but it just goes to show you that people aren't embracing this "new world order" they're pushing as quickly as you'd think. I think maybe we could see the tide turn. It might take ten years, but we might be surprised.

I think Disney+ is a good indicator of where things are headed, because look at the fatigue from people towards Marvel and Star Wars right now. People are frustrated. You can't keep up. Not only can you not keep up, people aren't satisfied with the content itself. People are hounding Boba Fett and Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk like there's no tomorrow, and they've got even more shit in the pipeline. People are seeing through this quantity vs. quality system and it can't last much longer.

Nothing says elitist than some millionaire Hollywood celebrity lecturing people he's never met to not go to the cinema. I proceed to the theater every weekend and have a great time! And also go to rock concerts and sporting events! What is next? Are the Russos going to say, don't do that to the hell with The Russos? They're irrelevant in my world.

i just feel like the Russo`s are fighting a war that no one cares about anymore, i love going to the theater, convinced a couple of friends to go and see NOPE on the imax, and they loved it, ( their first time)
the same day, at night they happily watched the 2nd episode of House of the dragon, they are casual movie and tv enjoyers, it has never crossed their mind that the theaters and streaming are at ods with each other, in fact they where very excited at the prospect of seeing more and more stuff in the IMAX, it isnt too expensive here, almost the same as a regular movie ticket, its like that digital vs film debate, its dead, no one is fighting that war anymore because we all realised they could and should coexist, like streaming and theaters.

Until people truly care (unlikely) or there comes a wave of great movies that MAKE them care (much more likely) we should not be complaining. Something precedes and something follows. If there comes an original movie with Top Gun Maverick's kind of box office performance then all doubts are resolved, all worries alleviated, young filmmakers inspired, theatres saved and so on. If that does not happen, streaming it is.