Top 10 Movies of 2022...so far

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 7:42 pm
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
BCUZ IT'
S NEVER TOO EARLY!
1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
2. Top Gun: Maverick

Then everything else....

Father Stu
The Northman
Hustle
Doctor Strange in the multiverse of madness
The Batman
The Bob's Burgers Movie
Top Gun Maverick
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Uncharted
The Lost City

Forum Pro
1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
2. Turning Red
3. Top Gun: Maverick
4. The Bob's Burgers Movie
5. The Northman
6. Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
7. After Yang
8. The Batman
9. The Cow Who Sang a Song into the Future
10. Dual

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
2. Top Gun: Maverick
3. The Northman

Mid-year assessment:

I really dug the first 6, all of which have a decent chance to be on my end of year top 10 as well.
- Top Gun: Maverick might be the only all-timer on the list as there is not much I can say bad about it (maybe the lack of "Take My Breath Away") and a lot of praises can be said. The movie just feels like the movies you used to watch and not just because the first 10 minutes are basically Top Gun redux. There is grandeur and spectacle on screen, there is emotion and there is dedication.
- Fresh was tightly paced, it's fun and creepy if emotionally empty but it does have a great villain and a great ending. It might not be the best film on a technical level on this list but it was the second most entertaining one by far.
- Everything Everywhere was the most emotional experience with a unique message for Hollywood films and decent action but it could have been a good 20 minutes shorter.
- The Northman had some great visual moments, it is more straight forward and focused than other Eggers films with great action and moments of dread but you do get the feeling of it being just another revenge flick underneath it.
- Elvis is bolstered by Luhrman's mastery and Butler's performance with great editing, music choices and pacing... despite being too long. For a historical figure, it does paint him in a too friendly light, though, almost blaming everyone else for Elvis' descent into camp and misery.
- The Batman is great visually with a tremendous performance but Pattinson in the role and a vibe of a mystery thriller but it doesn't really nail the landing and other than Penguin and maybe Riddler, doesn't really create a great supporting cast of characters to build on this world.

Movies 3-6 might all be a bit too long but they deliver on a technical and often on an emotional level, especially 3 and 4.

Other movies in the link:
https://letterboxd.com/lelekpl/list/fil ... 22/detail/
Top 15 are all good films and top 25 I'd say are all solid. The rest are just pure mediocrity and the last three a perfect example of corporate bullshit.

End of year update of the best movies of 2022, here is my top 20:

And the link to all 95 feature films I saw this year (not counting documentaries)
https://letterboxd.com/lelekpl/list/films-of-2022/

Overall I liked about 65 of them, so it was a really good year that had some great old fashioned blockbusters (Top Gun and Avatar), great directors at peak form (Decision to Leave, The Fabelmans), cool horror movies (too many to list), good to decent superhero movies that finally didn't dominate at the box office, and some cool films that are hard to define.

The bottom 15 are all movies that I advise against. Either they're the definition of "streaming content", boring mid films, or a total disaster as is the case of Jeepers Creepers.

we share five of our top ten ;)

-Vader

I finally assembled a top 20 list of 2022. For me 2022 was better than 2020 but I liked it less than 2021. Generally I really loved only my top 3.

20. Cha Cha Real Smooth
19. Corsage - (My fave cinematography of the year)
18. X
17. Everything Everywhere all at Once
16. Armageddon Time
15. All Quiet on the Western Front - (My fave sound of the year)
14. Bodies Bodies Bodies
13. Banshees of Inisherin - (My fave male performances of the year)
12. Three Thousand Years of Longing
11. The Beasts
10. The Batman - (My fave make-up and costumes of the year)
9. Avatar: The way of Water - (My fave VFX)
8. Triangle of Sadness - (My fave screenplay of the year)
7. Holy Spider
6. Blonde - (My fave score & cinematography)
5. The Northman
4. Decision to Leave - (My fave film editing)
3. Tar - (My fave female performance)
2. Babylon - (My fave direction & score & production design)
1. The Fabelmans - (My fave female performance as well)

I don't know if The Fablemans is better watched with Babylon (two movies that despite showing the magic of filmmaking are in fact very dark: Babylon shows those crushed in the process to create more magic, while The Fablemans shows the chosen loneliness of the filmmaker who escapes a reality too painful too confront) or with Armageddon Time (two very self-critical autobiographies, where the director question the choices their parents made, and also what it's like to grow-up when you're Jewish in America.)
Anyways, with Decision to leave, these films are my top 4 of the year. Babylon being one. Also Avatar is 5 (also a bit autobiographic, despite the many Tulkuns.)