HBO's Game of Thrones (2011-2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Posts: 4374
Joined: January 2012
It's not often that the hero of the story chooses oblivion and uncertainty and that a story leaves you at that point. It's why I like the ending: there are no guarantees for happiness or any certainty of a just rule in the Seven Kingdoms at all. The ending presents us with the possibility of those things becoming a reality but the show has also showed us how flawed all these characters are and what terrible moral decisions they have made on occasion. Noone has ever come back from a voyage into the West either. Maybe Arya is sailing to her death, maybe she isn't. Maybe Sansa will make for a good queen, maybe not. Maybe Jon will have a happy life beyond the Wall...or maybe he'll fall of his horse and die in the middle of nowhere being hated by many in the Seven Kingdoms for killing the woman he loved. We'll never know and that's kinda great.

User avatar
Posts: 19604
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City

Posts: 4374
Joined: January 2012
Vader182 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 11:44 pm
this is a fabulous piece on why Game of Thrones deserved to win outstanding drama at the Emmy's this year despite not being the best drama this year. i agree with him almost completely.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/emmys-2 ... XEcjZ7jTug


-Vader
Yeah, it's an intriguing perspective.

The funniest thing to me is the salt of people like Lindsay Ellis on twitter lol, as if winning Outstanding Drama instead of Writing or Directing meant the show somehow got told by everyone how bad its writing was. To be considered among the nominations just for best drama shows kinda requires someone liking your writing. The show getting nominated at all is a great honour. It's just that wining is a greater honour.

User avatar
Posts: 12856
Joined: February 2011
Good news is, it's finally over and next year, GOT obsessed Emmy voters can finally vote for the really deserving show that is Better Call Saul.

Posts: 4374
Joined: January 2012
Master Virgo wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 6:24 am
Good news is, it's finally over and next year, GOT obsessed Emmy voters can finally vote for the really deserving show that is Better Call Saul.
I guess I always gravitated towards Game of Thrones more compared to Beaking Bad because GOT actually showed how deceit and deception and all kinds of violence inflicted on innocents is a bad thing for society in general. The lives of the poor and powerless matter in Game of Thrones, whereas Breaking Bad had the tendency to frame Walter as a right-wing power fantasy badass-type whose actions are ok because they're done supposedly to protect people he cares about. In that respect, Breaking Bad is also different from the Sopranos, which makes sure you know that Tony is a selfish, unrepetant, sociopathic thug. Breaking Bad makes sure you're on Walter's side most of the time, whereas the Sopranos and Game of Thrones make you question who your supposed heroes are.
As far as Better Called Saul is concerned, my main concern is that the shady stuff he does gets justified by the show itself. I guess I'm kinda reluctant to start watching yet another show where the selfish hustler gets to be secretly cheered on by the show he's the protagonist of.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 2896
Joined: January 2009
Batfan175 wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 7:01 am
I guess I always gravitated towards Game of Thrones more compared to Beaking Bad because GOT actually showed how deceit and deception and all kinds of violence inflicted on innocents is a bad thing for society in general. [...]
You should check out The Wire if you haven't already.

Posts: 4374
Joined: January 2012
DHOPW42 wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 7:07 am
Batfan175 wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 7:01 am
I guess I always gravitated towards Game of Thrones more compared to Beaking Bad because GOT actually showed how deceit and deception and all kinds of violence inflicted on innocents is a bad thing for society in general. [...]
You should check out The Wire if you haven't already.
It is definitely on my list of shows I want to check out.

User avatar
Posts: 1016
Joined: April 2013
Batfan175 wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 7:01 am
Master Virgo wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 6:24 am
Good news is, it's finally over and next year, GOT obsessed Emmy voters can finally vote for the really deserving show that is Better Call Saul.
I guess I always gravitated towards Game of Thrones more compared to Beaking Bad because GOT actually showed how deceit and deception and all kinds of violence inflicted on innocents is a bad thing for society in general. The lives of the poor and powerless matter in Game of Thrones, whereas Breaking Bad had the tendency to frame Walter as a right-wing power fantasy badass-type whose actions are ok because they're done supposedly to protect people he cares about. In that respect, Breaking Bad is also different from the Sopranos, which makes sure you know that Tony is a selfish, unrepetant, sociopathic thug. Breaking Bad makes sure you're on Walter's side most of the time, whereas the Sopranos and Game of Thrones make you question who your supposed heroes are.
As far as Better Called Saul is concerned, my main concern is that the shady stuff he does gets justified by the show itself. I guess I'm kinda reluctant to start watching yet another show where the selfish hustler gets to be secretly cheered on by the show he's the protagonist of.
I don't think Breaking Bad framed Walt's actions like that at all.

User avatar
Posts: 1016
Joined: April 2013
Vader182 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 11:44 pm
this is a fabulous piece on why Game of Thrones deserved to win outstanding drama at the Emmy's this year despite not being the best drama this year. i agree with him almost completely.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/emmys-2 ... XEcjZ7jTug


-Vader
I kind of agree, but for slightly different reasons, and unlike MZS, I'm not happy about them. I think the issue I have is that the article makes it look like GoT had this intrinsic ability to permeate the culture, that made everyone started talking about it, and as a result, was rewarded with an Emmy for that. But it's not a secret that it was the quality of the early seasons which built that goodwill - thanks to Martin's books - that the show's p̶o̶p̶u̶l̶a̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ was based on. If it were otherwise, then The Walking Dead would be an Emmy contender. So yes, I think the show has benefited from its past quality, and maybe redress for past snubs, and current popularity.

MZS made a good point about it being the last show we will all watch together, and the lack of that kind of contender has allowed the series to coast to undeserving wins (imo) the last few seasons. Still puzzled though how season 7 managed to beat the The Crown 2, The Handmaid's Tale 2, and the final season of The Americans, and I still believe people are unfair to GoT 7.

Posts: 4374
Joined: January 2012
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 4:19 am
Vader182 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 11:44 pm
this is a fabulous piece on why Game of Thrones deserved to win outstanding drama at the Emmy's this year despite not being the best drama this year. i agree with him almost completely.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/emmys-2 ... XEcjZ7jTug


-Vader
I kind of agree, but for slightly different reasons, and unlike MZS, I'm not happy about them. I think the issue I have is that the article makes it look like GoT had this intrinsic ability to permeate the culture, that made everyone started talking about it, and as a result, was rewarded with an Emmy for that. But it's not a secret that it was the quality of the early seasons which built that goodwill - thanks to Martin's books - that the show's p̶o̶p̶u̶l̶a̶r̶i̶t̶y̶ was based on. If it were otherwise, then The Walking Dead would be an Emmy contender. So yes, I think the show has benefited from its past quality, and maybe redress for past snubs, and current popularity.

MZS made a good point about it being the last show we will all watch together, and the lack of that kind of contender has allowed the series to coast to undeserving wins (imo) the last few seasons. Still puzzled though how season 7 managed to beat the The Crown 2, The Handmaid's Tale 2, and the final season of The Americans, and I still believe people are unfair to GoT 7.
I'm glad a show that took big swings creatively got rewarded over shows that I'm sure reach a certain threshold of high quality tv but won't stay with me the way this show did. Plus, there are awards that the show could and should have gotten, which it did not, especially with regards to acting.

Post Reply