Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I agree with what you're saying Cil, but the problem for me (and I think most people, even if they don't know it) is that it happens so fucking fast. It's just not earned or believable.

imagine if this episode was episode 9 of a 10 episode long season where episodes 1-8 meticulously showed
her deteriorating psychological state following the death of the Night King
things could've been amazing instead of what we got

-Vader

Sapochnik delivers BIG!! This was masterful in lots of ways, and
I’m ultimately glad it was our penultimate battle and not The Long Night, even if there were bumps in the road along the way in getting here. This is GoT: not epic Good vs. Evil, Life Vs. Death, glorifying battle and violence, but rather characters we’ve come to love in difficult, nuanced situations where the whims of the elite cause devastation for those not playing the game.

Thus setting up the perfect conclusion: the man who genuinely doesn’t care to play the game sitting on the Iron Throne, breaking the vicious cycle of family grudges and self-interest... but at a serious cost (it’s still ASOIAF, of course).
Also, this episode plays into the strengths of the shows unique format. It would be very hard for this same chapter in the book to horrify and impact on a gut level the way this does.
#CleganeBowl

Vader182 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 2:33 am
I agree with what you're saying Cil, but the problem for me (and I think most people, even if they don't know it) is that it happens so fucking fast. It's just not earned or believable.

imagine if this episode was episode 9 of a 10 episode long season where episodes 1-8 meticulously showed
her deteriorating psychological state following the death of the Night King
things could've been amazing instead of what we got

-Vader
I think it works better as a light switch going off in Dany's head.

The slowness of a deterioration would have made it too obvious, IMO.

Fuck D&D. This show have gone to shitter. What's with the dragon with endless supply of power?

o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 2:46 am
I’m ultimately glad it was our penultimate battle and not The Long Night, even if there were bumps in the road along the way in getting here. This is GoT: not epic Good vs. Evil, Life Vs. Death, glorifying battle and violence, but rather characters we’ve come to love in difficult, nuanced situations where the whims of the elite cause devastation for those not playing the game.

Thus setting up the perfect conclusion: the man who genuinely doesn’t care to play the game sitting on the Iron Throne, breaking the vicious cycle of family grudges and self-interest... but at a serious cost (it’s still ASOIAF, of course).
Also, this episode plays into the strengths of the shows unique format. It would be very hard for this same chapter in the book to horrify and impact on a gut level the way this does.
#CleganeBowl
My problem, is that it wasn’t really a battle, it was just a straight up slaughter. I was originally being optimistic and thinking that maybe Qyburn would have a brilliant plan that would somewhat help their odds and that this would be a more dangerous battle for the main characters than the Winterfell battle, and it wasn’t. What was the point of the Golden Company part if they died without doing a single thing? There borderline felt like no risk from the enemy except from Dany. We’re led to believe that she is gimped because she only has one dragon. She never needed an army, she single handily destroyed all her enemies basically.
I can’t wait for the finale, people in general are pissed already, let’s see if this can fulfill its potential of being one of the worst endings, and biggest letdowns, in the history of TV.

LOL I already made peace with how bad the show become; wasn't going to let D&D ruin 8 seasons for me. So yeah, I tuned in, turned-off my brain, and had a blast. And Sapochnik delivered.

PowerDump wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 3:52 am
o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 2:46 am

#CleganeBowl
My problem, is that it wasn’t really a battle, it was just a straight up slaughter. I was originally being optimistic and thinking that maybe Qyburn would have a brilliant plan that would somewhat help their odds and that this would be a more dangerous battle for the main characters than the Winterfell battle, and it wasn’t. What was the point of the Golden Company part if they died without doing a single thing? There borderline felt like no risk from the enemy except from Dany. We’re led to believe that she is gimped because she only has one dragon. She never needed an army, she single handily destroyed all her enemies basically.
I can’t wait for the finale, people in general are pissed already, let’s see if this can fulfill its potential of being one of the worst endings, and biggest letdowns, in the history of TV.
My point is that the tension in a GoT battle should come from the conflict between these characters we love and their hard, often flawed, choices, not the scale or tension or danger of a big, massive epic —insert superlatives here — battle. Like,
Dany & Jon are simultaneously in love, related, and at war for the rightful claim to the Iron Throne; and on top of all that, Dany just snapped and burned innocent people to death, en masse, in front of Jon - one of the most honorable people in the Seven Kingdoms. Now that’s just one of the many threads spun in this episode, but compare even that single instance of character-based, nuanced conflict to the most interesting thing we could get from the battle with the Night King & the wights, which is what? That Bran is actually the Night King, who has come from the future to unite the Seven Kingdoms or something? Or that people we’ve grown to care for die to a faceless, uncaring army? There are serious flaws with the pacing and specifics here, but this is the right final conflict to conclude this story, no doubt about it. And I think GRRM’s ending will eventually prove that to be true.

Also, how else would Dany be able to hold the Throne without ruling by fear? She no longer has a legitimate claim, her closest advisors are either disloyal or dubiously loyal, the people of King’s Landing and The North have no love for her and the rest of the realm barely knows of her aside from rumors. Not to mention that her ultimate super weapons, her dragons, were shown (very publicly) to be fallible by Euron’s magic BS javelins. She has to either rule with an iron fist, or lose everything she’s spent her whole life building toward. And that’s ignoring her fragile, hopeless mental state wherein she’s now essentially alone in a foreign land. Her snap makes perfect sense. It’s not about literal “madness.”
And that last statement is just so hyperbolic. The worst ending in TV history? Disappointing after how great the show was at one point, I can accept that. But worst in TV history? The discourse is becoming meaningless.

They massacred my boy Jaime. :cry: :facepalm:
I will never forgive D&D for what they've done.

This was masterful. The last two shorter seasons and the hasty pacing maybe create some issues but this was straight up riveting.

Panapaok wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 4:58 am
This was masterful. The last two shorter seasons and the hasty pacing maybe create some issues but this was straight up riveting.
Nah, D&D are sexist pigs. Lmfao.