Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I think the issues with the episode could have been easily fixed: have Jaime or Brienne and Sam (it doesn't make sense he survives) die, and build up a plotline to explain how Arya walks through the army of the dead to kill the NK, that includes someone like Davos sacrificing himself.
The real problem for D&D is that since the beginning of season 6, it has been happy endings after happy endings: they've offered the viewer exactly what he wanted repeatedly: Sansa killing Ramsey with his dogs, Jon and Dany in love and joining forces, and now this or rather these, because even the character who died also had a heroic death. I see most people on forums going like "yeah, for the three last episodes they will have Dany and Jon rule the kingdom together, Sansa rule the north, Sandor killing Gregor..." and I understand where theses reactions comes from. It feels like this battle would be considered as an amazing achievement anywhere but in GoT. The "everybody dies but the character you care about" is something that you have everywhere, including Nolan films, SW, and of course Lord of the rings.

I thought the cinematography was gorgeous, and the directing amazing, except Arya appearing from nowhere, but the blame is on D&D more I suppose. Also it feels they cut some scenes in the crypt, the ending of the crypt sequence was underwhelming too.
Last edited by Demoph on April 29th, 2019, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

LEXX wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 3:50 am
PowerDump wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 3:35 am
Reading some of the comments on the IGN review. Tons and tons saying, “worst episode ever” and “huge disappointment” and all I can do is laugh. A lot of these posts reek of being disappointed because their theories or other fan’s of the series theories didn’t come to fruition.
One said, “after all this the Night King was killed with a tiny dagger”. If you can’t recognize the significance of it I don’t even want to hear your criticisms. It just seems like some callbacks/stuff in general went way over some people’s heads when it shouldn’t have.
My point, could some parts be improved? Yes. Even if those parts were improved, would there still be a lot of b****ing about it? Yeah, because there are so many varying opinions on who should die, who deserves more screen time, who deserves the bigger role in the scheme of things that it’s impossible to please everyone.
People are disappointed because it was badly executed.
Arya jump out of fucking nowhere. Maybe it would have been more interesting with the help of Melisandre she is able to maybe disguised as on of the night walker or white walker and the surprised attack would be more believable. Or Arya disguised as Bran.
Okay, let’s just completely cut out the Arya disguising as Bran idea as Bran is marked by the Night King so it would be a plot hole for him to fall for that trick. I don’t think Arya can just change into whoever, doesn’t she actually need their face? I don’t think the white walkers would fall for that disguise either.

That was pretty dumb alright.

What a fucking anti-climax.

This is a new level of stupid.

Only a pair of fools such as Benioff and Weiss could have pulled off something this plain and straightforward. I just simply can't believe that after everything this is what they come up with.

ok people calling this "the worst episode ever" are dumb as shit. also I didn't have trouble seeing the stuff that needed to be seen, and actually the battle being somewhat obscured is totally fine by me, it'd already been made clear before this aired that they intended to make this a survival horror type of thing, not a cool flashy epic battle people... probably must've expected, i guess? the battle is the worst of the worst, and i think they used appropriate measures to get that point across. One thing though
I DO think everyone uber important to the remaining story conveniently survived, except for Jorah and Theon. I mean I'm also super glad, but this sort of does lessen the stakes, this was supposed to be the battle that could've obliterated them all.

Also, my greatest question is WHERE IS GHOST????????????????
Also fuck Sam. Watching this episode I feel like I found hatred for Sam I never knew I could've felt before. I know this was supposed to be a fucking horrible experience (e.g. the Hound calling it quits before setting out to help Arya), but holy shit. For someone who was SO ADAMANT to fight an episode ago, he sure as hell spent the entirety of the battle crying and whimpering. I just... I like the character, but I found myself feeling absolutely no empathy for him, just annoyance. He always needed to be watched over and protected, he served no purpose in the battle.
I don't hate Arya killing the Night King, I don't think it came out of nowhere within the context of the show's story (others have already explained it), but I do think the sequence was sorta set up randomly, so it looked jarring, I'd guess? it's literally like someone said with Melisandre basically asking Arya to go kill the night king and she's like "ok" ----------> boom surprise jump and stab

I think what sort of ruined the momentum for me was the soundtrack as the Night King was approaching Bran & killing Theon & showing everyone trapped and about to be fucked. I usually love GoT's soundtrack and it was really fine up until that. But what the hell was that. I think it's probably the only thing I hated in this episode.
also loving the
bran doing nothing memes right now lmao
Overall...great episode? Not sure what others are onto, what did y'all expect lol. I think this is definitely one of the best recent examples of "fans spending years making up theories and fantasizing, blowing things out of proportions" backfiring gloriously and biting them back in the ass. But I do need to process some things myself too.

Arya killing the Night King isn't a flaw thinking about it. The White Walker threat being over mid-season isn't either. It's more the execution of the scene that was a big problem. And the repercussion of the fatal blow being a Phantom-Menacing killing everyone ending just feels so wrong for Game of Thrones. What a letdown.

Everyone in the cast is speaking about a great surprising ending (coming at least in parts from GRRM), these last three episodes better be fucking amazing.

Ruth wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 7:22 am
Not sure what others are onto, what did y'all expect lol. I think this is definitely one of the best recent examples of "fans spending years making up theories and fantasizing, blowing things out of proportions" backfiring gloriously and biting them back in the ass. But I do need to process some things myself too.
Anyone has the right to their opinions, so I don't want to take that away, but it indeed seems like this and Endgame is bringing out... the worst in the most adamant fans :D It seems like these two (and Star Wars maybe??) are proving it on the biggest canvas possible how "hype culture" is derailing fan experiences.

(I know this is not the first time a highly anticipated TV show episode or franchise ending movie comes out and divides audiences, right now I'm thinking of the final episode of Lost... just saying that it's quite the coincidence that we had this battle and Endgame on the same weekend)

DHOPW42 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 8:38 am
Ruth wrote:
Not sure what others are onto, what did y'all expect lol. I think this is definitely one of the best recent examples of "fans spending years making up theories and fantasizing, blowing things out of proportions" backfiring gloriously and biting them back in the ass. But I do need to process some things myself too.
Anyone has the right to their opinions, so I don't want to take that away, but it indeed seems like this and Endgame is bringing out... the worst in the most adamant fans :D It seems like these two (and Star Wars maybe??) are proving it on the biggest canvas possible how "hype culture" is derailing fan experiences.

(I know this is not the first time a highly anticipated TV show episode or franchise ending movie comes out and divides audiences, right now I'm thinking of the final episode of Lost... just saying that it's quite the coincidence that we had this battle and Endgame on the same weekend)
Pretty much every hyped up franchise is getting ruined by social media. I’m referring to the people with the mindset, “I watched all the seasons for this? I’m not even going to finish the season the show is forever ruined”. Good riddance really.
It’s like a ton of these “fans” expected a Matrix twist. We all knew the show explained what the Night King was and wasn’t going to give some huge revelation at the end. I bet the people who somehow came up with the theory that Bran was the Night King were crying their eyes out lol.

DHOPW42 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 8:38 am
Ruth wrote:

Has EndGame received any serious backlash, though? I think that other than the inconsistencies of the second act, it was universally praised, especially among the fans.