HBO's Game of Thrones (2011-2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User avatar
Forum Patron
Posts: 7185
Joined: January 2014
Vader182 wrote:I think it's pretty intentionally a little ambiguous, to such a degree that
Bran might not even know.

In a sense it ultimately doesn't matter, agency or not if Bran didn't "take control" of Hodor they all would've been dead instead of just the big guy. So that's (in my opinion) the less important thing to focus on and it's more that either way Bran arrogantly went into the weirwood (sp) network and caused the whole thing in the first place.

Either way, Bran literally caused the death of the Three Eyed Raven, the 12,000 year old Leaf (or however old she is), the direwolf (not googling name), Hodor, etc. Leaving a high body count behind him at this point just to protect how "important" he is. Although the Three Eyed Raven seemed to know this was coming anyway.

-Vader
Curiosity killed the ca- er, everyone.

Also unintended consequences seemed to be a through line in the episode, with the Children/White Walker thing alongside the Hodor situation.

User avatar
Posts: 42463
Joined: May 2010
Did anyone find Euron underwhelming? I've seen it thrown around?

I thought the actor was good but not blown away. Still baffled he just casually admitted to kin and King slaying though. The Kingsmoot logistically just does not really hold up sadly. They declare for Euron but then the same day Yara and Theon are able to rally thousands and take the entire fleet? Where were these people at the Kingsmoot? It does not make sense.

User avatar
Posts: 19179
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
Allstar wrote:Did anyone find Euron underwhelming? I've seen it thrown around?

I thought the actor was good but not blown away. Still baffled he just casually admitted to kin and King slaying though. The Kingsmoot logistically just does not really hold up sadly.
It makes perfect sense when you realize all Iron Islanders are annoying overly proud dim witted morons. They're a stand in for the kind of vikings nobody wrote stories about.

Euron himself was cool though. Charismatic and reasonably intelligent if annoying in the way all iron islanders are annoying.
I wonder if he had anything to do with Dany's fleet being burned.

-Vader

User avatar
Posts: 42463
Joined: May 2010
Vader182 wrote:It makes perfect sense when you realize all Iron Islanders are annoying overly proud dim witted morons. They're a stand in for the kind of vikings nobody wrote stories about.
While this may be true of many Iron Islanders, they still take kinslaying seriously just like everyone in Westeros. Victarion in the books desperately wants to kill Euron but won't because he is afraid of the curse and most would describe Victarion as a "dim witted moron". So why elect someone as King that most would think is cursed? I just don't think this was thought over too well. This isn't about the books though because the curse of kinslaying has been established on the show.

Posts: 605
Joined: July 2012
Admittedly, the Kingsmoot was very weak. Euron's speech in AFFC is legendary giving the Crow's Eye sufficient cause to wear the Driftwood Crown and sit the Salt Throne.
Instead, we get an open admission to regicide and, "Where are my niece and nephew? Let's go murder them."
How long will it take them to build this fleet? 2-3 years, right? Or, will Littlefinger loan them his special fast forward teleportation device.

User avatar
Posts: 42463
Joined: May 2010
eGregiovs wrote:How long will it take them to build this fleet? 2-3 years, right?
lol, I thought the same.

It would have been nice if they included some of Euron's dialogue in the books during his speech because it's pretty epic-

" We are the ironborn, and once we were conquerors. Our writ ran everywhere the sound of the waves was heard. My brother would have be content with the cold and dismal north, my niece with even less ... but I shall give you Lannisport. Highgarden. The Arbor. Oldtown. The riverlands and the Reach, the kingswood and the rainwood, Dorne and the marches, the Mountains of the Moon and the Vale of Arryn, Tarth and the Stepstones. I say we take it all! I say, we take Westeros."

User avatar
Posts: 19179
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
Allstar wrote:
Vader182 wrote:It makes perfect sense when you realize all Iron Islanders are annoying overly proud dim witted morons. They're a stand in for the kind of vikings nobody wrote stories about.
While this may be true of many Iron Islanders, they still take kinslaying seriously just like everyone in Westeros. Victarion in the books desperately wants to kill Euron but won't because he is afraid of the curse and most would describe Victarion as a "dim witted moron". So why elect someone as King that most would think is cursed? I just don't think this was thought over too well. This isn't about the books though because the curse of kinslaying has been established on the show.
It has?


-Vader

User avatar
Posts: 42463
Joined: May 2010

User avatar
Posts: 19179
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
Allstar wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
It has?


-Vader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvUGkw8Syj4&t=3m51s
Hmm yes. Then I guess in the show Iron Islanders don't believe in this and/or are the special needs people of the Game of Thrones universe. I suppose those aren't mutually exclusive categories.


-Vader

User avatar
Forum Patron
Posts: 7185
Joined: January 2014
Iron Islanders are basically the trailer trash of Westeros

Post Reply