Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Demoph wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:39 am
It seems on Youtube that GRRM doesn't like the last seasons of the show is the new Mark Hamill hates TLJ.
Gunna need a source since if you’re referencing what I think you are that’s not what he said.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:12 am
Demoph wrote:
It seems on Youtube that GRRM doesn't like the last seasons of the show is the new Mark Hamill hates TLJ.
Gunna need a source since if you’re referencing what I think you are that’s not what he said.

-Vader
Considering Martin lamented that the show abandoned really minor stuff like the Tyrell brothers at the time and said he wished the show waited for him after they passed the books...I can only imagine him being extra disappointed with the conclusion. He's a author obsessed with logic and worldbuilding...two things the show completely abandoned

He's EP on the show and made tons of cash from it, he's not going to rant on it in public.

It's still 100% his fault though for signing in on an adaptation in 2007 and only delivering one book in twelve years.

Vader182 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:12 am
Demoph wrote:

-Vader
What do you mean? I don't think Hamill hates TLJ and I don't think GRRM hates the last seasons. He's probably a little disappointed, like anybody whose work is adapted with liberties, like Hamill was disappointed with the script at first, before enjoying working with Rian.
I'm comparing the mindset of the people who make and watch these videos, and who find great enjoyement in taking sentences out of their context (or listening only to the part that pleases them) in order to feel justified in disliking something.
The desire when you dislike/hate something that belongs to a franchise or TV show you love to try to separate as much as possible the people who worked on them in two groups in order to be able to hate upon a part of them(D&D, Johnson, KM Tran...) whilst continuing to admire another part of them (GRRM, Hamill, Lucas(?)).

Not been here a while but just echoing what everyone else is saying really, the pacing has been completely fucked, payoffs feel undeserving and the intricacies of characters are being slowly thrown out and thrown out. It's been like this for a few seasons I admit but I was still told to finish watching the show by people I trust and I did catch up recently. When finishing season 6 I had new hope, it felt like it was back again but once more it's gone to poopsie since.

The direction is always at least good anyway, sometimes amazing. I hope the directors go on to fruitful things because what they're essentially doing are making big budget movies.

What happened to the days when nearly a whole episode was focused on even side characters? Like brienne/jaime/the hound/arya. It used to take long stretches of a season for characters to even travel somewhere. For what it's turned to (showpiecey, action) it's still good at though, I'm just utterly disappointed in what could have been a perfect run of a show. Feels like every show eventually turns sour, bar a few exceptions.

I preferred how characters would unapologetically and undramatically die, like it was just a byproduct of life, an inevitability. Killed suddenly or instantly and without sad music cues or very laborious scenes. That is RR Martins unique point of view on the world and that's what I'm currently missing and craving most of all.

Pretty insane thinking about it that the 11 episodes of S7 and S8 that have aired had a single goal.
Diminish Dany's forces and make her mad. Even the White Walker threat seems to have that only repercussion. She could have stormed King's Landing episode 1 of Season 7 and she'll do exactly the same just much later after tons and tons of bad Varys/Tyrion counseling. I feel she's always had Mad Queen potential based on her previous actions, but it's sooooo forced.
At least this laborious setup is done, let's hope for a rousing climax

Why wouldn’t taking the seven kingdoms have a high price? A Dream of Spring will be very similar, just better paced and with more development. Save this post.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 10:45 am
Why wouldn’t taking the seven kingdoms have a high price? A Dream of Spring will be very similar, just better paced and with more development. Save this post.

-Vader
Because she has a ridiculous power advantage in the show. She should have taken the Seven Kingdom with blind eyes. The only reason we're here in the endgame is because Tyrion and Varys, two of the best brains of the Seven Kingdoms, made countless terrible decision after terrible decision. Tyrion trusting or underestimating Cersei for the first time felt fucking wrong. When it happened a THIRD time this week, it just takes us for fools.