Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
One thing I disliked in the long night was
having Theon and Jorah die like heroes, finishing their arc in a satisfying way, their death were sad but not cruel. So I really enjoyed how episode 4 was built as a tragedy, every charcacter is offered a possibility to live happy or avoid a catastrophe, and whilst some minor characters do, the heroes just take the tragic path. And they all do it for reasons that we can understand, and that are in accordance with who they are. I hope they will take the tragedy forward, and let characters arc end in very cruel way, and not try to satisfy each characters'fans.
Also, do you think Daenerys can beat Cersei without becoming mad-queen? Can Jon and his sense of honour really beat Cersei?
Also like Vader said the show would work better with nine seasons. Nine can make it look as three trilogies, especially since ending of season 3 and season 6 really felt as ending a chapter of the story to move on to the next. It would have been a strange decision to do three seasons for one book, and they really were in the idea of doing one season per book, so they probably feel they've already slowed the pace by cutting the last season in two, and have anticipated complaints.

Vader182 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:53 pm
To be honest I think
she'll go nuclear but just before she goes too far, enough to defeat Cersei's forces and destroy some of KL, but will come to her sense and somehow sacrifice herself for the realm and pave the way for Jon to sit on the Iron Throne.
All this stuff is going to be similar to Dream of Spring imo. If everything that happened in Episode 4 happened over 2 or 3 or even 4 episodes we would all probably love it. It's the crazy pacing that's creating the biggest problems. I wish everything in S8 was leading up to The Battle of Winterfell, and everything in S9 was dealing with this stuff.

-Vader
I mostly agree. Daenerys' arc is top notch and I like how much they're telling her story. Everything is pointing towards her becoming the Mad Queen and that she'll die in agony and take as many with her as possible but the mere fact that everything is leading up to that now makes me think it won't happen.
Same situation as with the Night King. Everything was leading towards him succeeding, even in the episode itself and he still ended up being defeated and now we're past the White Walker invasion.
I think Daenerys will come to her reasoning just before the end. Not unlike Cersei of course, who's way past that point.
I feel like there's a major twist still coming up either in the upcoming episode or the last.

I don't agree with the battle against the Night King having to take up all of season 8 and Jon/Daenerys/Cersei season 9. I fear the whole thing would've went on too long.

Well of course the show is going by a different route than his novels. They became overblown and there's no end in sight. Maybe it really will have been for the better if Martin finished his books years ago, like he states so himself.

As for the creators knowing the ending since 2013, they should've have had more than enough time to work towards it since then. Especially once they got past the books. As of yet I'm hopeful they're going to nail the ending.

In that same interview GRRM reiterates he thinks the major points between the show and book ending will be the same, but it’s a bit rich to complain the show runners won’t “do it the way I did it” when..he didn’t do it. He’s been struggling for a decade to finish the series since this series is uniquely hard to finish off.

Not hard to see what the biggest frustrations to him would be though the last few years though.

-Vader

Demoph wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 7:18 am
If you look at the detail on IMDb, many people voted 1/10 before the episode released, including "IMDb 1000 voters". So, it mostly shows that some fans turned into haters.
That might have been a factor in the beginning, but now the episode has over 50k votes and the rating just keeps dropping. It's at 6.9/10. :?

Almost 16% of voters rated it 1/10 so I don't know how seriously we should take this rating. There's clearly a backlash going on so people are piling on giving it 1s.

-Vader

Dany fanboys/girls are furious in the direction they’re taking the character. Look at the comments on Emilia’s recent Instagram post for example with over thousands of likes on these said comments.

I'm completely baffled people are mad at the prospect of Dany going Mad Queen.

Do people forget she had to be talked out of actual genocide in seasons 6 and 7 and now season 8?

Do people forget she had a "join or die" policy that ruthlessly killed prisoners of war?

On the other hand, it is completely bizarre to me
that Varys and Tyrion are suddenly turning against her. By going North, she demonstrated she'll place the Realm's interests above her own to the point she risked losing everything for the greater good.

They probably just didn't have time to develop this arc for it to make sense so here we are.

-Vader

stepped foot on r/freefolk, everyone is super PISSED on there lol

Tbf I’ll rewatch ep 4 again, thinking that was the worst thing ever def wasn’t my first reaction, but now that I’m reading on stuff, remembering more stuff from past seasons, I’m increasingly more and more like naw fuck this episode

This season definitely needed AT LEAST 10 eps, if not 9 seasons.

in my mind though, regardless of how good/bad this is or lack of satisfaction, this is the same case as with star wars - people have grown INSANELY entitled of this story and unfortunately, this brings out some really twattish behavior. There’s no way to win for these people.