Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
All the pics for No One:

Does anyone else feel there is not as many obvious standout performances in seasons 5 and 6 as there were in 1-4?

I think it's a combination of a lot of my favorites being killed off and some just getting lesser material.

Allstar wrote:Does anyone else feel there is not as many obvious standout performances in seasons 5 and 6 as there were in 1-4?
I agree about S6, so far. In the previous one though, I'd say Dillane was the standout. Terrific work all around.

Allstar wrote:Does anyone else feel there is not as many obvious standout performances in seasons 5 and 6 as there were in 1-4?

I think it's a combination of a lot of my favorites being killed off and some just getting lesser material.
Yeah I agree.

I actually think Sophie Turner's giving a reasonably nuanced, strong performance this season. The big problem with her muddled reactions to everything is likely the writing rather than anything else. It's not clear if they're intentionally cutting out her reactions to everything in the writer's room or editing or what. She may be the overall highlight, along with Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow. The dragon scene with Dinklage is terrific as well. I'm hoping we get some heavy duty performances in the final three episodes from just about everyone but we'll see.

There's a lot of dominoes that have been stacked this season, so Season 6 will live or die by how well they're knocked down.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:

Yeah I agree.

I actually think Sophie Turner's giving a reasonably nuanced, strong performance this season. The big problem with her muddled reactions to everything is likely the writing rather than anything else. It's not clear if they're intentionally cutting out her reactions to everything in the writer's room or editing or what. She may be the overall highlight, along with Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow. The dragon scene with Dinklage is terrific as well. I'm hoping we get some heavy duty performances in the final three episodes from just about everyone but we'll see.

There's a lot of dominoes that have been stacked this season, so Season 6 will live or die by how well they're knocked down.

-Vader
Yeah, Dinklage does not have the most compelling storyline again this year, but that single moment is the best acting this year for me. Emmy-worthy again. Now come back to Westeros

Dinklage seems like he's been given the ... short end of the stick this season.

Also, I don't think the Jon/Sansa storyline is necessary lacking. I think it's just showing how sort of pathetic their fight is right now. They had to beg a preteen girl for 60 soldiers. They're continually turned down because they have wildlings.

If anything, I think it's very obviously building up to their absolutely horrific defeat and deaths by whats-his-face.

Key word being 'obvious'. You might actually want to take a look at smaller, subtler performances in smaller and quieter moments to see the great acting: Ian McShane was great, there are lots of Arya and Theon moments that are well-acted, Sophie Turner's been great this year, Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow is wonderful, Natalie Dormer as Margaery is always compelling, as is the Queen of Thorns, etc. . But yeah there is no big 'acting' moment like Jaime's seech in the bathtub where the show stops to showcase the acting capabilities of the cast, partly because it no longer needs to convince you that these guys are good at what they do. I don't think there's a single character that feel unconvincing to me. We don't have something awful this year like the Sand Snakes who I never thoght were compelling on the show. The rest of the cast is so familiar with their characters that they just portray them in a way that makes it seem very natural and easy but for that to be the case, the actors need to have thorough understanding of their characters, which it seems at this point is the case. Standout performances are also not something you can create/manufacture deliberately. You hope that the acting together with the writing create a unique scene that people will look at and say 'man this is a stand-out moment'. To me there was that speech by Ian mcShane's septon that felt very compelling, partly because it advocates a position you don't normally get on the show (which is why they chose an actor like Ian McShane: to give it all the weight it would need). It just so happens that a great actor can make a great moment stick in our mind but when you're only half invested in the material going in you won't be easily impressed either way.
Last edited by Batfan175 on June 9th, 2016, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have taken a look for those moments dumbass.

McShane was nothing special. But you drool over anything related to this show so I can't say I'm surprised.

Allstar wrote:I have taken a look for those moments dumbass.

McShane was nothing special. But you drool over anything related to this show so I can't say I'm surprised.
Indeed, I drool over anything but that is because every aspect of the show's production has something that I find interesting and worth investing time in. Does it make you mad that I like this show more than you do? If I find the acting compelling on the show, that's my prerogative, isn't it? You might find it fun to nitpick at each and every aspect of the show and feel like the material is soooo beneath you as a result of writing flaws or lack of mindblowing acting in every single episode but I find value in not only the plot (the least interesting thing about a show to be quite honest) or the acting, but in the cinematography, costuming, music, etc., in short : all aspects that make a tv show. With a show of a scope this big you can always find something new to enjoy every week (be it atmosphere, visuals, etc.), which is why I don't feel the particular need to be negative on the show. It's hit that sweet spot where it has a quality standard below which it will not go in terms of overall production for me and if it doesn't constantly in every single episode change the status quo of tv or my way of looking at the world that's fine too. I don't need it to have 'standout performances' to be worth my time. I need to believe in the characters and so far the show's cast does an excellent job at making the characters feel compelling. Too bad you can't seem to enjoy it.

McShane was great with little time he had. You can't ask for anything more than that. That would be ridiculous.