Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
You can’t have it both ways. Every decision Dany made was to stop endless innocents dying, something Cersei used to her advantage. It makes sense, and again, I guarantee you the books will be similar on
slowly chipping away at her support system to the point she either submits to her Mad Queen heritage or evolves past it.

It’s not that these events happened that’s the problem, it’s how. Namely, Euron and his teleporting fleet singlehandedly took Dorne, the iron fleet and now the recent events. Worse is the erratic pacing.

IE, it’s not the story that’s the issue, it’s the plot.

-Vader

Yeah, that thread is on the money.

Frankly I blame GRRM more than I blame D&D for the general decline in quality of the series in seasons 5-8. It's hard to write dialogue as poetic and precise as Seasons 1-4 when you're scrambling to keep the basics of the plot together before cameras have to start rolling. I don't think people appreciate how scary limited their window of writing is before production.

If GRRM finished the books, or at least WOW, things would've been much smoother.

-Vader

Demoph wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:54 am
I've just seen this interesting thread on twitter that deals with the plot/story thing you discuss, and compares D&D's and GRRM's approach to writing: https://twitter.com/DSilvermint/status/ ... 1261136896
yes

Martin himself has said that back in 2011 he was still very (unrealistically) optimistic about how long WoW will take him. Even his often expressed desire for the show to have more seasons is pretty unrealistic in the TV world, even for the best shows, even if the writing quality had never dropped, because ultimately this requires too much from both creators, cast and audience alike. As it is, he might as well have kept working/helping along on the show, if he's not gonna finish WoW on time anyway, but in the end he did neither of those two. A longer season 7/8 would've changed pacing and some other things, most certainly, but the approach would've remained the same even if it got +5 seasons for an obvious reason.

Vader182 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 1:05 pm
Yeah, that thread is on the money.

Frankly I blame GRRM more than I blame D&D for the general decline in quality of the series in seasons 5-8. It's hard to write dialogue as poetic and precise as Seasons 1-4 when you're scrambling to keep the basics of the plot together before cameras have to start rolling. I don't think people appreciate how scary limited their window of writing is before production.

If GRRM finished the books, or at least WOW, things would've been much smoother.

-Vader
Couldn't agree more. I just hope the story comes to full fruition in the last two episodes. It's been done before, even though season six had some real heights prior to the final two episodes but those sealed the season. Which so far is definitely the best post-books season.

As for Daenerys' arc:
Sam literally asks the question in the first episode of this season. Will she [Daenerys] be able to do the same. To give up her longing for the Throne to save the Realm. I have a feeling she will.
And yeah, (following spoiler theory from reddit:)
I'd love it if Jaime and Cersei would end up being Aerys' and Joanna's children. Hell, even their children reminiscent Rhaegar, Viserys and Daenerys. Joffrey is the sadistic Viserys, Tommen the too good to be true Rhaegar and Myrcella the at first naive Daenerys who could've risen to great heights if she got to live longer.

Thematically I don't mind the show restricting Dany's forces or having characters talk her out of her darker impulses to have the dragons or armies lay waste to everything. They've been doing that since season 4 when Sir Barrister told her about the Mad King and asked her to show mercy to masters of Mereen. But like the what the others said, is the pacing and execution.
For the last several episodes, back into season seven, it was all about the White Walkers and stopping them, which without Dany they would have surely had no chance of winning. And after the jarring conclusion, in itself, to that issue, it doesn't make really sense to completely 180 on her character. That went from an episode where she is showing great compassion, putting off what she always wanted to save the North, to her being a loose cannon the next episode, with people fearing she is a threat to kill thousands and thousands of innocent people. They should of had an episode in between to ease us back into the transition.

Also the killing of the dragon in the last episode was so poorly directed. How did Euron's men hit an up high moving target, three for three, from behind a hill! It's stupid stuff like that, which happens a lot recently on the show, that hurts the overall quality of the last two seasons more than anything else. It never used to be the case in the earlier seasons

I wonder how many irrational social media meltdowns we will get tonight?

So

Many
This is like the episode where Cleganebowl just has to happen and Cersei just has to die lol and I think Jaime either survives that or doesn't. Also Euron and Varys are grilled going to be extra crispy lol

Varys when he's about to end up like his cock & balls

I don't have the energy to hate on this

that was fucking epic