Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
are you ok

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:21 am
are you ok

-Vader
Not really tbh. I am just mocking idiots on twitter however.

So Cersei stared at balconies and people for the entire season? That's it? Great use of Lena Headey guys...

And don't even get me started on the Jaime stuff. His ''redemption'' last season only happened so he could go fuck Brienne one night? What ?

I may be mad right now but anything involving the White Walkers or Jaime in a rewatch would be a total waste of time knowing how it ends.

people are angry about Dany but the real anger is how they dealt with Jaime. Just really a poor job regardless of changes to book.

The ending for the main characters is supposed to be identical both in the books and in the show. But what about
Valonqar? Why was this part of the prophecy purposefully omitted back in Season 5?

My response ties multiple above posts.

Honestly D&Ds writing of women this season sucks. They turned the show’s three strongest women, independent and full of agency, into characters whose motives and screen time is mostly defined by the men around them. Often disempowering them in the process.

Cersei’s barely in S8, a huge flaw imo, and what scenes she does have involve fucking or flirting with Euron. Terrific.

Dany’s arc’s biggest trigger is getting rebuked by a lover. Dany’s arc in general the last two episodes falls victim to many sexist stereotypes about female fitness to rule.
female ruler losing child/friend/lover and getting too emotional and “not handling it.” The show paints a more complex portrait overall, but Weighs these trigger as the biggest. I expect GRRM’s version to be more nuanced.
Brienne’s whole arc (seems to) ends crying and begging a man she just lost her virginity to not to abandon her.

This is all far from great and 100% valid to take issue with.

-Vader

Dany had some motivation and past character development for going mad. Rushed as hell, but it was there. Adding in the episode some bogus reason was so stupid. Watching it, it feels she burns thousands of innocents because of fucking bells and because she didn't have sex with Jon. Ugh. I agree the female characters have been embarrassingly written this season

Yeah I teared up for Cersei, I'm a psychopath, I know.
This was such a blast, this was much reminiscent of the Hollywood of the seventies, and their deconstruction of the american myth. The last images were definitely imo a reference to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The difference of strength between the two army reminded me of Vietnam (or Afghanistan in 1979 (America doesn't have the monopole of it)).
The episode may have been better if the bells didn't ring... Not sure we needed it to side against Daenerys.
I loved all the stuff with Arya, I was not amongst those who rejoiced as she became a killer, and clapped their hands everytime she killed someone, and seeing this side of her was great.
Sapochnik delivered, this was an experience.

I agree with those who feel that all of this is rushed. I don't want to convince all the others, but I also feel that there are some basic problems with screenwriting and maybe even directing here. I know it sounds arrogant to say that I'm smarter than a professional HBO writer, so excuse my language. Still, these are my thoughts:
I don't want to say that I could've done it better, but it really feels like GoT Season 8 falls into the same trap as most average TV shows: motivations are spoken out loud instead of being truly developed, and that's my main problem - a problem that, for me, was too obvious in last night's episode.

I just didn't understand why Daenerys would go on demolishing the city and its citizens. To me it wasn't build up properly: I know she was told NOT to do that, and the bells were mentioned several times. I also understand that she was portrayed more and more frustrated with how things are turning out with Jon, his ancestry, how she feels alone etc. etc. but it always felt like these quasi-motivations are being crammed down my throat. It was too fast and it was spoken out loud instead of being fully developed.

These same plot points and character traits could've worked perfectly if all this were explored in greater detail, I think. This whole season needs a few episodes. There's a reason why it's difficult to portray certain things in a short film that work perfectly in a feature length movie. Some character motivations, some stories really need time to be developed. And I think, in season 8, there's not much time. Instead, it feels like we are told of the motivations and we have no choice but to go along with it. But that's why a chunk of the GoT audience feels left behind.

And the other part of the audience enjoys this, and it's fine. I don't want to take it away from them :D But I feel like characters, their motivations and the overall plot are not consistent all the time, and often they feel rushed and/or forced. Forced by the screenwriter(s). My gold standard for fully developed, consistent characters is usually The Wire which is, plotwise, the complete opposite of GoT. Still, The Wire had some moments throughout its run that were just as shocking to witness as any of the memorable twists in earlier GoT seasons. And that's why setting and story doesn't count: it's the characters, their motivations, the way they are written and developed, their consistency. Some may say the Red Wedding is one of the most shocking moments in TV history: to me it was that one time one of the lieutenants in The Wire talked back to his superior in a meeting. And it's because it was built up perfectly.

Anyway, sorry for the over-analysis of this, but these are the reasons these episodes don't work for me, even if they are spectacular, action-driven and enjoyable on an audio-visual level. And I'm still really pissed that they just finished the whole white walker plotline, which has been kind of the backdrop for ALL THE SEASONS, with one episode. And that's it. They don't even mention them anymore. It really leaves a huge, huge gap in the whole series.