Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User of Interest wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 6:37 am
I can't get enough of this. In-fucking-credible!
Too bad this thing did not work well at all beat for beat with most of the edit. I thought this was totally out of place with most of the stuff that was going on in the scenes.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7zy1PTMp0&t=1276s[/youtube]

Yeah it's easy to shit on D&D but Sapochnik's direction is also really problematic in this episode. A lot of my problems are related to it. Yeah it's visually spectacular, but what we call plot armor all has to do with him. I didn't realize how much of the action makes no sense at all.

I watched that entire thing and a *lot* of those are bad faith arguments that intentionally obfuscate things to make a crack.

This episode has issues, but this Red Letter Media inspired dribble is not the way to frame or discuss it. It’s a far cry from Pauline Kael.

-Vader

Yea a lot of the criticism in that video of the editing and unbelievability of characters surviving could be made against any Star Wars, Marvel, DC, general action movie, etc.

Too many people nowadays go out of their way to find things to be critical of

We also have no way to know if D&D scripted multiple close calls or not and regardless, it's hard to paint a battle as hopeless and overwhelming and full of despair without the characters constantly in peril.

We do see them visibly rescue one another out of these situations. It's not as though they magically survive, something the video (mostly) fails to point out. I didn't realize how true this is until I rewatched it.

It's still a big problem, but at least represent it accurately.

-Vader

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 8:30 pm
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7zy1PTMp0&t=1276s[/youtube]

Yeah it's easy to shit on D&D but Sapochnik's direction is also really problematic in this episode. A lot of my problems are related to it. Yeah it's visually spectacular, but what we call plot armor all has to do with him. I didn't realize how much of the action makes no sense at all.
Can’t wait to get Batfan’s thoughts on this.

Little things that bug me, where was all the wright Giants? We only had the one appear, but early in season seven when it showed the dead marching, their was at least seven or eight in the army.

Also, this is maybe my own issue with projecting what you want to see, but I really though Nymeria (Ayra's direwolf) and her pack of wolves would show up to help fight the dead, especially after their appearance in season seven

I'm not even curious how Dumb and Dumber plan to further ruin the character of Euron Greyjoy.

We did saw at least one Wight Giant go up in flames when the Dragons flew by.