Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ChristNolan wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 10:53 pm
So uh
Arya is the savior of this whole thing? Is this from GRRM or a D&D idea?
100% D&D. They confirmed it in Inside the Episode. Anyway the Night King is a show-only character.

It's unfair to call this a battle sequence, since really it is a wildly ambitious series of sequences piling atop one another in somewhat inelegant but often artistically breathtaking and viscerally overwhelming fashion.

I loved almost all of that stuff and didn't have much issue seeing it on my 75'' Vizio P Series.

As for the actual resolution of the conflict and final few minutes? I'm mixed as hell and have no fucking clue how I feel about it yet.

-Vader

Forum Pro
Law

One of my issues with some of the complaints on other boards I’ve seen is
Arya killed the Night King, it was leading up to Jon fighting him!

and then that same person says the show is now to predictable. If you don’t like who does what that’s fine, but dang I’ve seen a lot of hypocrites out there as well.

Also, I’ve heard people b**** about
nobody important died this episode. If you don’t think anyone important died this episode you are dumb lol
Last edited by PowerDump on April 28th, 2019, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What do we say to the god of death?I let you figure this one out.

This story is about death but it is not death-affirming in a nihilistic way and the ending to this conflict as presented here is a great statement and a wonderful way to tie it back to the first season as well.
Ironic that the dagger meant to kill Bran ended up saving not just him but everyone, which is why he gave it to someone who would know how to use it best.

Editing was great

Somethings looked beautiful on screen, like
the dragon fight above the clouds
Also lol at
Red Woman basically telling Arya "hey so, just go kill the Night King" and she just says "ok lol" and just does it? I mean, there's no drama there. Isn't that a deus ex machina

PowerDump wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 11:46 pm
One of my issues with some of the complaints on other boards I’ve seen is
Arya killed the Night King, it was leading up to Jon fighting him!

and then that same person says the show is now to predictable. If you don’t like who does what that’s fine, but dang I’ve seen a lot of hypocrites out there as well.
If it happens in the books these geniuses will swear it was the greatest idea ever and most likely not even mention that the show did it. They say the show is predictable when this is probably one of the things noone would have suspected.
The good and noble hero (Jon) fighting the evil villain and winning is as typical fantasy as you can get. And the noble hero didn't get to save the day here. These people say they want to see something different and yet when you give it to them it's not ok to them.
Arya's life being defined by death and her becoming the master of death via literal visual metaphor is a great way to bring the story and themes together. She has witnessed the death of her father, mother and older brother that hurt her so much. She has murdered people often quite ruthlessly I might add. She was part of a cult of assassins who worship a death god...like, if Arya's not tied to death in a significant way I don't know who is and who better to face off against the literal personification of death? Now she gets to look at what was causing her pain and overcome it.
Like, the clues are all there as to why it makes thematic sense. It's just that a lot of people built up one idea in their head as to what makes for a satisfying conclusion. I feel bad for Martin because all these people are coming up with elaborate theories about how each tiny detail that Martin mentioned 5 books ago is going to play a huge role in the resolution of the story and a lot of them will be bitterly disappointed.

Endgame was better than this ep Batfan. Deal with it.

Cilogy wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 11:51 pm
Editing was great

Also lol at
Red Woman basically telling Arya "hey so, just go kill the Night King" and she just says "ok lol" and just does it? I mean, there's no drama there. Isn't that a deus ex machina
A deus ex machina would be Arya saving everybody without the Valyrian steel dagger or any dragonglass just because the story would need her to save everyone. That's not what this is because the dagger meant to kill Bran was made of Valyrian steel and we got confirmation 3 seasons ago that that stuff kills white walkers.

Cilogy wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 11:51 pm
Editing was great

Also lol at
There's been a lot to set up Arya striking the killing blow. All the dagger trading for one, but more importantly, Beric was brought back by the Lord of Light for a reason, both in the past and in S3, and he rescued Arya not only then but in this episode. Same with the Lord of Light not being done with The Hound.

Not to mention the Red Woman telling she could see a darkness and "blue eyes" in Arya way back in Season 3.

Still mixed on how I feel about it. Will need time to process it.

-Vader