Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
If this show just ends with "HA THE NIGHT KING WINS/EVERYONE DIES. I BET YOU ALL DIDNT SEE THAT COMING BECAUSE ITS GAME OF THRONESSSS HAHAHHAHA" it'll be ridiculous. I hate when shows get scared of their audiences the last season and then decide to go against the grain to try to "surprise" them. It makes watching for 8+ years not worth it just for a ending that doesn't work. It's not like I want it to end "happy" but at the same time it wont be disappointing at all if it had a "good" ending. There's nothing wrong with that and Im scared the showrunners are scared that people are liking how its going. The show has been very standard in plot recently, but amazing because of that. Dont drop the ball PLEASE. Things can be "the same" as other things as long as you make it good, just like superhero movies. A lot of them are the "same" but there are many better than others because of execution of the standard. I hope GoT follows that and keeps on their path and doesnt just throw random shit at us last second because they THINK they have to.

Sorry for the rant if any of that even makes sense. Was just discussing the show at work and everyone kinda agreed that they hope it pays off. Hell, a bittersweet ending Im totally fine with like "Breaking Bad" had. People can die, just make it work and not random.

Ace wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 12:52 pm
HBO just added 22 more minutes to Game of Thrones season 8

Episode 801: 54 minutes
Episode 802: 58 minutes
Episode 803: 82 minutes
Episode 804: 78 minutes
Episode 805: 80 minutes
Episode 806: 80 minutes

HBO added 22 minutes to Episode 803, bringing it from 60 minutes up to 82. That means it’s not only the longest episode of the season but of the entire series, beating out the last title holder, season 7’s “The Dragon and the Wolf,” by a minute. That oughta please people, no?

Mind you, I very much doubt that HBO suddenly found 22 spare minutes of footage lying around and decided to glom it on to Episode 803; the network probably just hadn’t finalized the runtimes when we reported on them last.

https://winteriscoming.net/2019/03/15/h ... lWq-Bo7fsQ
damn, this is very nice to hear.

xWhereAmI? wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 5:26 pm
If this show just ends with "HA THE NIGHT KING WINS/EVERYONE DIES. I BET YOU ALL DIDNT SEE THAT COMING BECAUSE ITS GAME OF THRONESSSS HAHAHHAHA" it'll be ridiculous. I hate when shows get scared of their audiences the last season and then decide to go against the grain to try to "surprise" them. It makes watching for 8+ years not worth it just for a ending that doesn't work. It's not like I want it to end "happy" but at the same time it wont be disappointing at all if it had a "good" ending. There's nothing wrong with that and Im scared the showrunners are scared that people are liking how its going. The show has been very standard in plot recently, but amazing because of that. Dont drop the ball PLEASE. Things can be "the same" as other things as long as you make it good, just like superhero movies. A lot of them are the "same" but there are many better than others because of execution of the standard. I hope GoT follows that and keeps on their path and doesnt just throw random shit at us last second because they THINK they have to.

Sorry for the rant if any of that even makes sense. Was just discussing the show at work and everyone kinda agreed that they hope it pays off. Hell, a bittersweet ending Im totally fine with like "Breaking Bad" had. People can die, just make it work and not random.
Well, Breaking Bad finale was fucking outstanding. One of the best. If GoT finale even come close it would be nice.

I know a lot of folks on here hold Sopranos and its finale above most. But I’m not really a fan of the last half of that series, outside of the Buscemi shit. Breaking Bad kept getting better IMO, and it all logically came together in that series finale. Some wanted a shocking twist, or brutal violence coming from Walt, but I felt they delivered the right balance. We saw an arc. Not everything was tied up in a bow, but it was certainly more satisfying and thought out than most finales i’ve seen. If GoT can leave some mystery and darkness, but also give some ‘feel good’ closure to SOME of the characters...they will have won.

Is episode 3 the battle of winterfell now? Instead of episode 5 like a lot of us assumed? If so, that just made the last half of this season a lot more interesting.

Martin's not a nihilist and neither are the showrunners. Bittersweet was always what Martin was going for and so were the showrunners because they always said that the way to get to the ending would be different but the fates of all the main characters would be the same as in Martin's vision for the books.

shauner111 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:04 pm
I know a lot of folks on here hold Sopranos and its finale above most. But I’m not really a fan of the last half of that series, outside of the Buscemi shit.
I wasn't either. I thoughth the last half of Season 6 was very good but those middle seasons especially 5 and first half of 6 were average. Still the show overall was very good and in my top 5 of all time.

bootsy wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:29 pm
shauner111 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 10:04 pm
I know a lot of folks on here hold Sopranos and its finale above most. But I’m not really a fan of the last half of that series, outside of the Buscemi shit.
I wasn't either. I thoughth the last half of Season 6 was very good but those middle seasons especially 5 and first half of 6 were average. Still the show overall was very good and in my top 5 of all time.
I liked the final season towards the end but it really dragged in the first half. The Vito subplot should have happened during season 4 or 5, what a dumb place to begin some subplot for a side character that nobody cares about. They were given too many episodes to finish their story and we got a bloated “we can do whatever we want” season. But yes, Sopranos is still top 5 for me too.

I won’t even compare it to what GoT is doing now because it seems like this final season has purpose and the story is their priority. It reminds me more of Breaking Bad in that sense. So I have faith.

bru I just realized Iwan Rheon was channeling Malcolm McDowell from Clockwork Orange for his portrayal of Ramsey Bolton bru

mind latently blown

Ace

Emilia Clarke wrote such a touching piece how she almost died twice while this series aired. It was a particular problem during filming season 2. I feel like an asshole for criticiszing her performance that season. It just goes to show you that you don’t know what someone is going through and you should be kind. I was warming to Emilia anyway but I have a newfound respect for this incredibly strong woman.