Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I've been reminiscing over this series lately and it really does deserve all of its hype. In spite of all of the corners they've cut and plots they've botched D&D are still great writers who have preserved the essence of the series while ocassionaly making some improvements. Ramin Djawadi is the MVP of the show with the casting director coming in as a close second. I feel like ranking shit.

Best Seasons
1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5 > 6 > 7

Hottest Characters
1. Dany
2. Melisandre
3. Cersei (pre-lesbian haircut)
4. Tyene Sand
5. Sansa

Best Battles
1. Lannisters vs. Dothraki
2. Night's Watch vs. Wildlings
3. Hardhome
4. Blackwater
5. Starks vs. Boltons

Best Duels
1. Arthur Dayne vs. Ned & Co
2. Mountain vs. Viper
3. Hound vs. Beric Dondarian
4. Jon vs. Thenn Leader
5. Jon vs. The Legend of Jin Alley

Best Character Adaptations (Acting and Writing)
1. Tywin
2. Tyrion
3. Robb Stark
4. Olena Tyrell
5. Cersei

As someone who's read the series house Martell is my favorite in terms of likability e.g. most passionate, eclectic, fun, moral, warm weather, best house motto/history etc but the Lannisters are my favorite in terms of entertainment.

Not putting Oberyn under best character adaptions yet including Cersei is laughable.

Allstar wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:26 am
Not putting Oberyn under best character adaptions yet including Cersei is laughable.
‘Laughable’. So put your superior list after his and stop whining.

m4st4 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 2:48 am
Allstar wrote:
You agree with me in regards to Cersei. :roll:

Allstar wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:05 am
m4st4 wrote:
Allstar wrote:
So? I was talking about your dick reaction in regards to somebody’s entirely subjective opinion. Dude wrote a comprehensive list and all you could do was laugh at that one point. Basically, stop allstar-ing.

m4st4 wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 7:43 am
Allstar wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:05 am
m4st4 wrote:

So? I was talking about your dick reaction in regards to somebody’s entirely subjective opinion. Dude wrote a comprehensive list and all you could do was laugh at that one point. Basically, stop allstar-ing.
I appreciate this but there's no point in responding to a sentence that's more petty than it is empty. I could try explaining how D&D improved Cersei as one of the major characters of the story by making her a much smarter and more sympathetic villain than the caricature from the books who fists her servants and trusts/loses her entire fleet to some nobody all because she thought he was attractive but its not like I'll actually get some sort of discussion out of him. Headey has a harder/more thankless role than Pascal's flashy performance. Its easy to not appreciate the subtleties of a less likable character like Alfie Alan as Theon but thats a pretty shallow way of judging a performance. Book Oberyn isn't that much of a less charismatic hero than he is in the show (30 minutes or so of screen-time) and I did go on to say in the very next sentence that house Martell is the family I identify with the most and gave reasons for why I like them best but I guess his impulse to be mean and assert superior taste was too much. Now he'll just use the "playful humor" card as an out. I would put Samwell Tarly at 6 and Oberyn at 7.

When you said “best character adaptations” I thought you were referring to faithfulness to the books for some reason. So it initially left me baffled. Clearly that’s not what you were doing, my bad.

Man, GRRM's editor must be crying at all the money lost from not publishing at least ONE book in the timespan of the show's run (yeah the fifth one but it came out like a month after the relatively low-watched first season compared to the rest).

Definitely excited to read Winds whenever it comes out. I really think GRRM is displeased with the show's trajectory, so I'd be extremely surprised to see it really similar to S6/S7 (outside of Shireen/Hold the Door)

dafox wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:13 am
I've been reminiscing over this series lately and it really does deserve all of its hype. In spite of all of the corners they've cut and plots they've botched D&D are still great writers who have preserved the essence of the series while ocassionaly making some improvements. Ramin Djawadi is the MVP of the show with the casting director coming in as a close second. I feel like ranking shit.

Best Seasons
1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5 > 6 > 7

Hottest Characters
1. Dany
2. Melisandre
3. Cersei (pre-lesbian haircut)
4. Tyene Sand
5. Sansa

Best Battles
1. Lannisters vs. Dothraki
2. Night's Watch vs. Wildlings
3. Hardhome
4. Blackwater
5. Starks vs. Boltons

Best Duels
1. Arthur Dayne vs. Ned & Co
2. Mountain vs. Viper
3. Hound vs. Beric Dondarian
4. Jon vs. Thenn Leader
5. Jon vs. The Legend of Jin Alley

Best Character Adaptations (Acting and Writing)
1. Tywin
2. Tyrion
3. Robb Stark
4. Olena Tyrell
5. Cersei

As someone who's read the series house Martell is my favorite in terms of likability e.g. most passionate, eclectic, fun, moral, warm weather, best house motto/history etc but the Lannisters are my favorite in terms of entertainment.
I've just started rewatching the series before the 8th season. And I gotta say, knowing what's going to happen, season 2 is definitely a drag. It builds some characters, especially it starts to challenge the audience on Jaime, one of the true villains of season 1, but it really is painful to watch Stanis' claim to the throne and Danny just walking about in the dessert, knowing what's to come. It has been my least favorite season but right now it's clearly the worst one for me.

As for your character choices, I'm also keen on watching the villains of the show. I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Ramsay Bolton. I know he's despicable and that he's as hated as Joffrey but the thing is, Joffrey was a hateable asshole who didn't really realize how much of an asshole he is. Ramsay knows he's an asshole and he loves it. I see that Joker side of him and I like it. Some other characters I enjoyed are Jaime, Littlefinger, Arya, Bryanne, Cersei and the Mountain. While Caitlyn is probably the most underappreciated one among the TV audience. Book readers appreciate her more for LS but still she's a great character in the show as well.

Best battle has got to be the battle of the bastards. I don't understand how you can put anything above it. And best duel is probably Mountain vs Viper.

I'm on "And Now His Watch Is Ended", going through the series for my second viewing, and it's kind of sad how much my view of this show was tainted by the onlinez.

I don't think Clarke's performance is as horrible as it was purported to be in this thread and all over the net. I mean, the whole point of her character is an unlikely leader. She's doubted at every turn by virtually everyone, and Clarke portrays that well. She successfully delivers that she has a larger voice than people think, but also feels she's in over her head.

The only sorta new thing I'm finding is how fucking good Jack Gleeson is, from the very first moment. Like, can you imagine how hard it is to find young actors and actresses who can deliver that level of subtlety in their performance, make you absolutely hate them but also make you understand their fear and insecurity? I feel like the writing can only do so much there, the rest is up to the actor.

Still shocks my just how much of a presence Dinklage has on screen. Of course, being in the middle of season 3, I have yet to see his best moments, but so far it's just confirming my belief that he's the best thing on the show.

Otherwise, the show is good enough to have gotten most of its messages and its complexity across during the first viewing, so I don't find myself discovering anything else new with my second viewing. I'm only filling in little details here and there since I didn't pay close enough attention the first time.