Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
You probably haven't gotten up to this part in your rewatch but the purpose of marrying Sansa to Ramsay was to get Cersei to name Littlefinger warden of the north in exchange for him convincing the Vale lords to attack Winterfell. Cersei blames Sansa for Joffrey's death and the Boltons marrying Joffrey's killer was an act of insubordination so she'd want them out of power. That part makes sense except the Vale lords have no reason to attack Winterfell, in the books they do because
Sansa is betrothed to Harry the Heir and he'll obviously want to gain control of his wife's land
. Also, although the Kings Landing's court doesn't have Varys anymore, LF just assuming that no spies would report on him and a dozen Vale knights delivering Sansa to Winterfell is poor planning. However, you gotta give D&D a break for having no choice but to compress the story. Dorne was a disaster tho.

Trailer looks alright. Walder Frey returning and Jaime and Brienne in the Riverlands might mean
Lady Stoneheart, which sorta seems like its still on course to happen since she only makes two brief appearances in the books, when Brienne returns to the riverlands, which we see in the trailer with her and Podrick next to the Tully banner. But idk how they could smoothly reintroduce Stoneheart after all of this time. It also seems pretty tough to do on TV, a character who's half corpse and can't really talk. It'll probably only be the brotherhood without banners which is fine since I liked Thoros and Beric. Although they have to have a reason to be less noble than they were in season 3/book 3 and that was Stoneheart's role.

dafox wrote:You probably haven't gotten up to this part in your rewatch but the purpose of marrying Sansa to Ramsay was to get Cersei to name Littlefinger warden of the north in exchange for him convincing the Vale lords to attack Winterfell. Cersei blames Sansa for Joffrey's death and the Boltons marrying Joffrey's killer was an act of insubordination so she'd want them out of power. That part makes sense except the Vale lords have no reason to attack Winterfell, in the books they do because
Sansa is betrothed to Harry the Heir and he'll obviously want to gain control of his wife's land
. Also, although the Kings Landing's court doesn't have Varys anymore, LF just assuming that no spies would report on him and a dozen Vale knights delivering Sansa to Winterfell is poor planning. However, you gotta give D&D a break for having no choice but to compress the story. Dorne was a disaster tho.

Trailer looks alright. Walder Frey returning and Jaime and Brienne in the Riverlands might mean
Lady Stoneheart, which sorta seems like its still on course to happen since she only makes two brief appearances in the books, when Brienne returns to the riverlands, which we see in the trailer with her and Podrick next to the Tully banner. But idk how they could smoothly reintroduce Stoneheart after all of this time. It also seems pretty tough to do on TV, a character who's half corpse and can't really talk. It'll probably only be the brotherhood without banners which is fine since I liked Thoros and Beric. Although they have to have a reason to be less noble than they were in season 3/book 3 and that was Stoneheart's role.
I'll keep an eye out for the Littlefinger stuff as the season progresses, I hope it makes sense in retrospect.

It's just... the whole uprising in King's Landing is the result of one character being annoying and arrogant in a kind of stupid way, Dorne doesn't make sense, Littlefinger's plans, even if they do make sense, seem to make less sense than usual... idk man. Brienne's wondering around most of the season not doing anything. I know Martin's all about how it's intentionally supposed to be "nothing" but ugh. Feels like it's spinning its wheels and the characters are suffering for it.

-Vader

Dafox is right Vader.
Petyr knows very well that he finds himself in very dangerous waters. We know Petyr as someone who's behind a lot of things and wants to have it all. He miscalculated that Sansa would be safe in Winterfell. He also shouldn't have been so sure of Stannis winning the battle. Then again, the Boltons have suffered some defeats and Petyr could still attack with an army from the Vale, approved by Cersei no less. It's still a pretty good plan, even though the two big things didn't worked out the way he anticipated. I wonder how he's going to handle this situation. If I were him I would get back to the Eyrie asap and stay there because at least he'd be safe. Then again, I think it's more something for Petyr to sneak into the North and try to contact Sansa. He'd probably apologize and whatnot, I highly doubt Sansa would disregard him. In fact, I think Sansa will be atop the situation this time around. I have a feeling that she's going to take the role of a leader and keeps Petyr behind her. This way, if Sansa will gain control of the North (she better) she'll have the Vale behind her. That's a pretty strong position. The North is bigger than the other six kingdoms combined and the Vale is quite strong as well. Petyr even said to the other leaders of the Vale that if they had acted they could've withstand Tywin Lannister during his reign. Not that much would've happened since Petyr and Lysa were behind the death of Jon and so on.

Either way, this is just how it goes. Character's motives become more clear as the story progresses and as it looks like more of them will intertwine. I can only be happy about this.

These are the runtimes of the first six episodes:

Episode 1: The Red Woman: 50 minutes
Episode 2: 54 minutes
Episode 3: 53 minutes
Episode 4: 59 minutes
Episode 5: 57 minutes
Episode 6: 52 minutes

Vader182 wrote:Wait a second. I dunno if I should tag it or not but I will to be safe but I'm struggling with the logic of Littlefinger's plan this season...
Okay. Littlefinger's plan, it seemed, was to have Sansa marry Ramsay.

1.) He would gain power with the Ramsays/Starks/North + the Eyrie and that's one of his big gains of power.
2.) He tells Sansa in his speech (which I believe is closer to his true motive since she has to feel like he's on her side for her use to him to continue also for the sex) in the catacombs at Winterfell that she's to wait there for Stannis to invade Winterfell and win since obviously Stannis would win and then Stannis would make Sansa the Warden of the North or at least in a huge position of power. Which would unite Littlefinger with Stannis?

Either play doesn't make much sense. He correctly predicts Stannis will attack, but it's a pretty risky roll of the dice to assume Stannis would win the battle. Regardless, and this is big, If his end goal is to have Sansa unite with Stannis why didn't he just send Sansa to Stannis in the first place? What would a marriage to Ramsay gain him? Nothing.

I guess maybe he figures if Stannis loses he still has the Bolton connection as a fallback but idk. It seems pretty loose and fast with logic and all pretty muddy.

-Vader
You missed the scene in episode 6 where
he tells Cersei Sansa's whereabouts, which puts her in grave danger but then again he also knows that Cersei will accept his suggestion to use the army of the Vale to fight the remaining force in Winterfell after Stannis and the Boltons clash because he knows that Cersei would not think she'd lose anything if he fails. The fact that he tells Cersei about Sansa should tell you that we cannot be sure whether or not he actually cares about Sansa in any way, shape or form at all and that hence everything he tells Sansa is likely meant to merely keep her on his side for as long as he needs her and to make the plan believable. He needs her in Winterfell long enough to march up North and take out whoever remains in Winterfell after the battle between Stannis and the Boltons (likely because the title of Warden alone is not enough to get the rest of the North to see him as a legitimate authority figure), after which he'll likely try to marry Sansa himself. Whether or not he even takes out the Boltons is also unclear (though clearer if my theory is correct), given that it depends also on whether or not he decides to stay loyal to Cersei.
He either ends up being named Warden of the North himself by Cersei or he gets to control the Warden of the North once the Boltons are dead if Stannis indeed decides to make Sansa the Warden of the North or if he manages to get rid of them himself but it is also likely that this was just something LF said to keep Sansa from leaving the castle and to continue playing a role in his plan. Fact is, we still don't know what he's after and I don't think that he's going through all this trouble JUST to get Catelyn's daughter.

"Muddy" seems to be the intention here because he betrays people left and right whenever it suits him and plays people like the Boltons, Stannis and Cersei against each other. It's actually quite consistent with his character as presented so far and since Ramsay has no reputation on the show akin to the one he has in the books, it stands to reason that LF would assume that Roose is the man in charge who controls everything and hence would ensure Sansa's well-being whilst she is at Winterfell....and that's where he miscalculated and likely because he doesn't think of Ramsay as anything other than a lowborn bastard who does not get to make decisions of his own. Roose himself admitted to Walder Frey that the boy does as he likes so the audience knows something LF does not at this stage. LF's plans are not flawless but he manages to adjust and adapt to new circumstances rather well.

If I had to take a guess as to what LF wants, I'd say LF merely wants to enjoy the feeling of having the power to influence all of these people's lives and so no matter what happens, he can always turn any situation to his advantage. For someone who comes from such a small House and who previously had no name at all, this would be a likely motive.
NB: Cersei's story is actually mostly how it plays out in the books: it's all her own fault because she thinks that the High Sparrow is just a commoner who has no power or influence over anything or anyone if it were not for her, which is her biggest mistake and of course she doesn't really listen to him when he tells her that the laws of the gods apply to everyone equally in episodes 3, 4 and 7.

Brienne in the books just wanders around the country aimlessly in search for Sansa so it's not much of a change overall.

Dorne is legitimately dull after episode 6 so I'd say you're right about that one.

"Spinning its wheels" = best description of books 4 and 5 actually.

Shorter seasons might happen, post Year 6.
In an exclusive interview with Variety, showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss said they are weighing wrapping up the Emmy-winning saga of Westeros and the battle for the Iron Throne with just 13 more episodes once this sixth season is over: seven episodes for season 7; six for the eighth and potential final season.

“I think we’re down to our final 13 episodes after this season. We’re heading into the final lap,” said Benioff. “That’s the guess, though nothing is yet set in stone, but that’s what we’re looking at.”

Sources later clarified those exact numbers were premature, given that the showrunners are now just beginning to outline their plans, but said that any upcoming seasons may be shorter than the full 10 episodes of seasons past.

I remember the days when Benioff & Weiss would swear by the "7 books, 7 seasons, 70 episodes" quote. Then it became 8 seasons, and now we have two shortened final seasons. Hmm. Not enough story for 80 episodes, perhaps?

The production is insane, given that the story will likely require an even bigger budget, this only makes sense.

Glad to know that they see a conclusion soon. I don't want this to go on forever. 8 seasons seems fine.

oracle86 wrote:I remember the days when Benioff & Weiss would swear by the "7 books, 7 seasons, 70 episodes" quote. Then it became 8 seasons, and now we have two shortened final seasons. Hmm. Not enough story for 80 episodes, perhaps?
True. They probably can't drag the show far & long enough, to accommodate Martin's schedule with the novels. Also read a comment that the younger actors's aging would become too much a factor, which would affect the physical attributes of the characters.