NOPE (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Universal is cruel for making me wait an extra month to see this film.

Very much looking forward to this

Ace

This movie fucking rules, guys. Any professional critic who didn't like this has no idea about real cinema. Peele is slowly climbing up there with Nolan and Villeneuve for me. He's a visionary. There were several moments that were just jaw dropping. It's original and it's weird as hell and Hoyte's work is just stunning here. I adored every second of this.

Angus wrote:
July 21st, 2022, 9:28 pm
This movie fucking rules, guys. Any professional critic who didn't like this has no idea about real cinema. Peele is slowly climbing up there with Nolan and Villeneuve for me. He's a visionary. There were several moments that were just jaw dropping. It's original and it's weird as hell and Hoyte's work is just stunning here. I adored every second of this.

It was just ehh tbh

Angus wrote:
If I really did not care for Us, how does this stack up?

Bacon wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 12:37 am
Angus wrote:
If I really did not care for Us, how does this stack up?
I'd say if you didn't like Us, Peele isn't for your tastes and probably avoid Nope.

Angus wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 1:18 am
I'd say if you didn't like Us, Peele isn't for your tastes and probably avoid Nope.
Idk if I'd go that far. I loved Get Out, but Us had so many logical/story inconsistencies that the entire thing fell apart as soon as I walked out of the theater.

Bacon wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 4:41 pm
Angus wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 1:18 am
Idk if I'd go that far. I loved Get Out, but Us had so many logical/story inconsistencies that the entire thing fell apart as soon as I walked out of the theater.

I didn’t watch Us, but this felt like a regular scifi movie by any random director. There weren’t any major twists or turns, the plot was pretty simple. Keke Palmer played a cool character and that’s about it I guess.

Saw Nope today. Had a really good time. The performances were excellent, and while i didn't think the movie was scary (can't think of many films that scared me) it was tense. The flashback to Yeun's childhood was fascinating, and I think integral to the whole film, it's the ace in Peele's hand. Hoyte killed it, tactile and immersive. It's 3 for 3 for me, all three of his movies are really good and different.

The one thing I didn't like:
Man, aliens look fucking stupid (Xenomorph's withstanding), this, signs, arrival, edge of tomorrow, independence day. Always look like shit, and silly...I'm glad they went abstract in the end, but it looked out of place from the rest of the movie, preferred the almost goofy looking saucer, old time scifi vibe.