NOPE (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
A Borges man wrote:
July 23rd, 2022, 1:34 am
Saw Nope today. Had a really good time. The performances were excellent, and while i didn't think the movie was scary (can't think of many films that scared me) it was tense. The flashback to Yeun's childhood was fascinating, and I think integral to the whole film, it's the ace in Peele's hand. Hoyte killed it, tactile and immersive. It's 3 for 3 for me, all three of his movies are really good and different.

The one thing I didn't like:
Man, aliens look fucking stupid (Xenomorph's withstanding), this, signs, arrival, edge of tomorrow, independence day. Always look like shit, and silly...I'm glad they went abstract in the end, but it looked out of place from the rest of the movie, preferred the almost goofy looking saucer, old time scifi vibe.
Don't get scared by movies huh, tough guy? What about the A-bomb?? Oppenheimer is going to be scary on a different level 😳

Dahl wrote:
July 23rd, 2022, 11:22 pm
A Borges man wrote:
Saw Nope today. Had a really good time. The performances were excellent, and while i didn't think the movie was scary (can't think of many films that scared me) it was tense. The flashback to Yeun's childhood was fascinating, and I think integral to the whole film, it's the ace in Peele's hand. Hoyte killed it, tactile and immersive. It's 3 for 3 for me, all three of his movies are really good and different.

Man, aliens look fucking stupid (Xenomorph's withstanding), this, signs, arrival, edge of tomorrow, independence day. Always look like shit, and silly...I'm glad they went abstract in the end, but it looked out of place from the rest of the movie, preferred the almost goofy looking saucer, old time scifi vibe.
Don't get scared by movies huh, tough guy? What about the A-bomb?? Oppenheimer is going to be scary on a different level 😳
Had me thinking about what flicks have scared me, and I can't think of a traditional "horror" film that scared me...but there are films that I can think of that terrified me: Mulhulland Dr., Inland Empire, Safe, Contagion, Come and See, Irreversible, Cries and Whispers, Shindler's List, Son of Saul, The act of killing, audition, Let the right one in. Even the drowning stuff in Dunkirk.
I think fundamentally, supernatural and horror tropes/genre conventions don't do it for me, but I do get scared and terrified.

A Borges man wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 1:04 am
Dahl wrote:
A Borges man wrote:

Had me thinking about what flicks have scared me, and I can't think of a traditional "horror" film that scared me...but there are films that I can think of that terrified me: Mulhulland Dr., Inland Empire, Safe, Contagion, Come and See, Irreversible, Cries and Whispers, Shindler's List, Son of Saul, The act of killing, audition, Let the right one in. Even the drowning stuff in Dunkirk.
I think fundamentally, supernatural and horror tropes/genre conventions don't do it for me, but I do get scared and terrified.
I used to have a thick skin for horror, but as I get older I'm getting more sensitive. It's hard to see people (even fictional) suffer. I still enjoy a good thriller now and again, but I want someone else there holding my hand

Dahl wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 2:22 am
A Borges man wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 1:04 am
Dahl wrote:

I used to have a thick skin for horror, but as I get older I'm getting more sensitive. It's hard to see people (even fictional) suffer. I still enjoy a good thriller now and again, but I want someone else there holding my hand
For sure, since having kids, a lot of that stuff has either become uninteresting, or I just can't vibe on worries or suffering when your always worried.

This was….interesting. Had some cool ideas and started out strong, but I felt like it fell apart about halfway through. Steven Yeun’s character and his backstory was intriguing. Feel like he shoulda had his own movie lol.

I mean, you can't leave the theater and think this isn't at least very original.

Thought it was tonally dissonant at times, which I think detracted from the horror/creepy aspects. There's also a big subplot which feels like it goes nowhere and I almost feel like Jordan Peele puts it there for misdirection. I think. I don't know.

Also, it's Peele, so I'm still trying to figure out the sociopolitical angle.

IMAX didn't hurt the experience, definitely made it feel sort of Spielbergian. Was it ... entirely necessary though?

Ok, i fucking loved this, this movie disturbed me, made me laugh, disturbed me some more, totally grabbed me with the Jean jacket twist too, that was such a fresh and cool take on it, oh and made me emotional at the end, it never felt like it was trying too hard, i love it.

Edit: the only bad thing is that i got no Oppenheimer teaser at all, maybe because it was digital imax, or maybe because its south america and no one cares about us lol

I really liked this, I think the IMAX format is more than earned for this story, I think it would be the only way I'd like to rewatch it in the future. It is a very unusual blockbuster, this paired with the upcoming IMAX biopic drama from Nolan proves that it only takes a little courage from the part of the filmmaker to adapt any story to this enormous and wonderful canvas. (I also got the Oppenheimer teaser, by the way)

My only reservations were with regards to the final segment (final 20-30 minutes) of the film, I felt that the pacing was a little off there, it felt like it was dragging a bit, but this might change on another viewing. Bottom line, I think it was a very neat, very good looking, extremely simple film with a good hero and some truly memorable imagery. As an experience, this trumps Get Out for me. Would love to see it again (in IMAX), I hope it stays there for a few more weeks, but I understand it isn't performing too well here at all...

This was.....disappointing. A bunch of cool ideas don't make a good movie. The monkey storyline of Steven Yeuns character was completely wasted. I feel like he should have been the main protagonist.