Three Thousand Years of Longing (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 8:47 pm
Nomis wrote:
October 25th, 2018, 4:32 pm
Bow down to Swinton, the goddess

My god she delivered three amazing and compelling performances in Suspiria, it's unreal.
The spoiler game is strong with this one
how else would you be able to flex you’ve seen a movie for an umpteenth time?

We'll probably get some new informations about it very soon, I can't wait for this new project, I loved Fury Road.

Miller talks about how production is going:

Pre-sales of your original generational romantic epic “Three Thousand Years of Longing,” starring Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton, sold like hotcakes at the Cannes market. Is that what’s next?

I said, “Okay, let’s sit down and look at all the stories I’ve been working on, all the scripts in stages of development banging around in the back of my head.” It’s a Darwinian struggle of survival of the fittest. Of all the stories there’s this one, “Three Thousand Years of Longing,” I’ve wanted to tell. It’s a story in various stages of writing that had to be put aside; it’s been around almost 10 years. We’re starting pre-production before the end of the year and shooting early next year.

But I’ve been there too often when you announce movies are going to happen and then they fall away. It happened three times on “Fury Road,” and eventually we got the damn thing made. We’re just coming out of a meeting as we speak, and we’re well into pre-production on this one. I’m cautiously optimistic. It’s going well.
source

I REALLY want to see this.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/george-mil ... 202935015/
MGM has landed another major project, acquiring North American rights to the George Miller-directed Three Thousand Years of Longing, starring Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton. Miller wrote the script and is producing with Doug Mitchell.

Said Miller: “This film has been simmering in the back of my mind for some time. If we can pull it off, I believe we have the makings of something unusually tasty.”

Said Michael De Luca, MGM Film Group Chairman and Pamela Abdy, MGM Film Group President: “We are thrilled to be working with George and Doug on their next film, and are especially excited to be a part of the sweeping and timeless world that George has created. This uniquely original film, by one of the world’s greatest storytellers, will be something truly special for moviegoing audiences.”

Miller has been circumspect on the plot of the film that will be his follow-up to the Best Picture Oscar nominee Mad Max: Fury Road.

Here is what he told Deadline in December:

“Look, I’m happy to talk about the new film very elliptically, but I’ve always felt that if you talk about these films before they’re actually completed, you jinx them,” he told Deadline. “And ultimately until it’s done you don’t know what it is. I see the title of this film as a riddle, and it’s more or less at heart a two-hander, even though it’s way more complex than that. Tilda and Idris are the two characters at the center of this thing. I can’t even decide what genre it is, to be honest. And that’s a good thing. I like to think in these days that to have a chance of people taking notice of what you’re doing, without being overly flamboyant, your film needs to be uniquely familiar. That’s the term I use. The audience is looking for that, something that seems fresh and atypical. In this case, every time I think, oh it’s this kind of film, I say yes but also it’s that kind of film. I would hope that translates into people feeling that what we’re trying to do is interesting.

“One thing I can tell you; it’s not [another Fury Road],” he said. “It’s a movie that is very strongly visual, but it’s almost the opposite of Fury Road. It’s almost all interior and there’s a lot of conversation in it. There are action scenes, but they are by the by and I guess you could say it’s the anti-Mad Max.”

How did Miller arrive on Elba and Swinton?

“It arose out of the characters as written,” he said. “I met both of them at some events at separate times and the moment I got to talk to them, they suddenly just slotted into the roles. I was really very happy they were available and interested and that they responded very well to the material. My hope is they will be doing something quite different than either of them has done before. I know I’m being a bit enigmatic but I don’t want to say more about the content of the film.”

If the title is a riddle, it is something that Miller has puzzled over for a long time.

“I guess I’m hardwired to story in some way, and for me what happens is, stories seed in your head and they rattle around,” Miller said. “It becomes rather Darwinian, survival of the fittest: the ones that have the most comprehensive promise are the ones that survive. This story I have been working on and thinking about for at least 15 years. There would always be several of these stories in my mind and it’s interesting, the ones that tend to fall away and why they fall away. The ones that are more insistent are usually so because they tick a lot of boxes and organically do a lot of things.”

Like what?

“The best way I can say it is, I really like stories where there is a lot of iceberg under the tip,” Miller said. “Too often, a story can be quite dazzling but it’s amazing how quickly you can forget about it. I must say, going back to Mad Max: Fury Road, that was the thing that satisfied me the most. For a film like that, it could have been read just on the surface. It was very, very hard to get in a lot of subtext and exposition while you are on the run. That was the formal exercise of that film and I was really happy when people started to read a lot of stuff underneath that film. They saw the allegory. I think that’s why the film got traction to the extent it did. That’s my hope on this film even though you never know until it’s out there and people tell you what the film is.”

I ABSOLUTELY can't wait for this movie.

I am ecstatic we're getting another Miller film in the next couple years. Truly unforgivable it took this long after Fury Road on the part of studios, although I can't say I blame Miller for wanting a break.

-Vader

New George Miller (Mad Max) fantasy adventure movie. With Idris Elba & Tilda Swinton. Maybe we get a release this year. Sounds interesting.

"A scholar, content with life, encounters a Djinn who offers her three wishes in exchange for his freedom. Their conversation, in a hotel room in Istanbul, leads to consequences neither would have expected."
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9198364/

"A lonely and bitter British woman discovers an ancient bottle while on a trip to Istanbul and unleashes a Djinn who offers her three wishes. Filled with apathy, she is unable to come up with one until his stories spark in her a desire to be loved."
https://ew.com/movies/george-miller-thr ... w-filming/

Ace

Ace