Inherent Vice (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm finally going to see this tomorrow, paying money to see it at the cinemas, like an adult.

BlairCo wrote:I'm finally going to see this tomorrow, paying money to see it at the cinemas, like an adult.
Enjoy.

Deleted and alternate scenes:

Finally saw the film. Was anyone as disappointed as I was? It was brilliantly made and I completely understand why PTA made it the way it was but my gripe is that I didn't enjoy it due it it's lack of exuberance. I really enjoyed the book and everything about it but simply didn't enjoy the film.

The cinematography was so perfect! Not much seemed to be done with the performances compared to most PTA films. Doc seemed more chatty and less witty compared to the book. I love Johnny Greenwood but didn't like the dark/overly-tense score at times. I wanted to see the acid-trip scene and other zany moments, more vivid characters, more exuberance.

Mindheist wrote:Finally saw the film. Was anyone as disappointed as I was? It was brilliantly made and I completely understand why PTA made it the way it was but my gripe is that I didn't enjoy it due it it's lack of exuberance. I really enjoyed the book and everything about it but simply didn't enjoy the film.

The cinematography was so perfect! Not much seemed to be done with the performances compared to most PTA films. Doc seemed more chatty and less witty compared to the book. I love Johnny Greenwood but didn't like the dark/overly-tense score at times. I wanted to see the acid-trip scene and other zany moments, more vivid characters, more exuberance.
I loved the film. It felt so different from everything you might expect. Exactly because there was no zany moments , too vivid characters or excessive exuberant. It's not a pretty word to use when describing movies (it reads a little bit pompous) but its a very inaccessible movie. It's very mundane at time. Maybe too much. But i think PTA captures perfectly that hippie expression. It's hard to describe but easy to sense while watching it. I could watch Doc all day.

I also met a girl 5 days ago who looked like straight out of the movie. That was fun . And strange :lol:

Mindheist wrote:Finally saw the film. Was anyone as disappointed as I was? It was brilliantly made and I completely understand why PTA made it the way it was but my gripe is that I didn't enjoy it due it it's lack of exuberance. I really enjoyed the book and everything about it but simply didn't enjoy the film.

God yes - there's a vibe and energy in the book that's missing in the film. Some of the great comic characters in the novel (Denis,Sauncho Smilax) were totally neutered too. In some ways it's extremely faithful to the novel, most notably the dialogue (large chunks turn up unaltered in the film) yet it really fails to capture the tone. I knew that PTA was gonna do his own thing with it but I wasn't expecting it to be so gloomy. Yes, the novel is melancholic but not overwhelmingly so; there's a vibrancy and energy in it that's missing in PTA's adaptation. The film is too sedate and one-paced.

I've watched it 4 times now and I still don't love it as much as I want to.

There's a certain percentage of discrepancy between Pynchon's esoteric literature and PTA's audio-visual adaptation, yes... but I still hold it as one of my favorite entries in his filmography because - at least he had the cojones to try something as daunting, and because it makes me laugh and ponder almost as equally. Also, I prefer his ending - hit the nail right on the head and managed to transport me back in time, into my own memories.

I was expecting to like it more than I did, but I didn't hate it or anything. I've never read Thomas Pynchon's book so I don't know whether or not it was really faithful to its source material. For the kind of movie that it is, I just found it to go on for way too long.