Napoleon (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Joaquin Phoenix and Ridley Scott will reunite since their collaboration on Gladiator for Kitbag.
The title comes from “There is a general’s staff hidden in every soldier’s kitbag. The film is an original and personal look at Napoleon’s origins and his swift, ruthless climb to emperor, viewed through the prism of his addictive and often volatile relationship with his wife and one true love, Josephine. The intention of the film is to capture Napoleon’s famous battles, relentless ambition and astounding strategic mind as an extraordinary military leader and war visionary.
source

Making a film about Napoleon and calling it Kitbag. ROFL!
I thought Scott already had a film planned after The Last Duel. And considering the situation, I'm not getting my hopes up.
But, yeah, Phoenix as Napoleon, that could be really great!

Nomis wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Joaquin Phoenix and Ridley Scott will reunite since their collaboration on Gladiator for Kitbag.
The title comes from “There is a general’s staff hidden in every soldier’s kitbag. The film is an original and personal look at Napoleon’s origins and his swift, ruthless climb to emperor, viewed through the prism of his addictive and often volatile relationship with his wife and one true love, Josephine. The intention of the film is to capture Napoleon’s famous battles, relentless ambition and astounding strategic mind as an extraordinary military leader and war visionary.
source
groundbreaking

The 1927 Napoleon film is still amazing

EXCLUSIVE: After blowing him away with her upcoming performance in The Last Duel, Ridley Scott is moving fast to work with Killing Eve star Jodie Comer again and looks to have found that next project to team up on. Sources tell Deadline that Comer is Scott’s choice to play Napoleon Bonaparte’s beloved Josephine in Apple Studios’ upcoming epic Kitbag.

What an absolute boss.

So he's editing The last duel, shooting Gucci, and planning his Napoleon epic at the same time, three exciting projects!
Nice to see he found the cast of Last duel so good he worked with Driver and Comer as soon as possible afterwards.
Also just great to see Comer and Phoenix together.
All of this is very exciting.
Although:

From a simple narrative point of view, I think they may lose some side of their romance by hollywoodizing it this way.

Wasn't Cary Fukunaga going to do Kubrick's unfilmed Napoleon script? I'd rather see that.

Anyway, hear me out here. But how about Timothee Chalamet for Napoleon.

lol

Master Virgo wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 5:32 pm
lol

Yeah....that’s not great...to put it mildly. Not as offensive as Exodus but still...

I honestly think Ridley just REALLY wanted to work with Comer again more so than being insistent on only casting a young actress but it doesn’t really make it any better. Actually if anything Comer is sort of close to the right age of 33, it’s just Phoenix who is WAY older. Maybe this film covers a long period of time and they age Phoenix down and Comer up. Messy lol.

Shouldnt be Napoleon played by a french actor? And in best case the film is in french? Nowadays the film world is much more international and open minded. "People only watch it when its in english" is not a valid argument anymore. Especially when your film gets a streaming release.

For me it will always be strange & laughable to watch a non-american/british period piece, where the protagonists speak english instead of their native language.