Napoleon (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 8:01 am

Ridley Scott, Joaquin Phoenix, and it will be in Imax? It opens the day before Thanksgiving. So it should have an inflated box office to help get the film awards consideration.

Ace

Reviews arent looking too good, the fight for best picture definitely will be between Killers of the flower moon and Oppenheimer after all, still want to see it in theaters, it does look like an spectacle.

ok so i`ve just come back from seeing it on IMAX, i found it to be 2 movies stuck inside this film, the one about Napoleon`s personal life and the one about his battlefield stories, and the second one shines quite a bit more, not because his personal story isnt interesting but because the film felt like it knew exactly what to do on the battle sequences, they convey the tension and the military sapience of Napoleon in an extremely effective way, and the Waterloo sequence, top notch, the rest of the movie felt a bit less like it knew what it was doing and there where certainly some choices on the characterization of Josephine and Napoleon`s relationship.

still i had a realization watching this in the theater that i was watching a large scale historic biopic, and i am appreciative of that.