Napoleon (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Eh. Race is where the line should be drawn, imo. When ethnicities/nationalities start coming into play, it starts getting ridiculous (again, imo!), because nationalities don’t always correlate to ethnicities, and lots of people from anglophone countries come from a variety of different ethnic backgrounds.

And as for speaking English, again, eh. It’s an English-speaking production, that will heavily play for anglophone audiences, and it’s seriously a much lesser issue than ageism (even if unintentional for Scott). As an European I genuinely never saw an issue. It’s only funny when they always speak in fake BBC english because in Hollywood’s minds a British accent means royalty or a time period older than 1950 lol.

I believe Phoenix himself is a bit of a mix between ashkenazi jewish and a lot of different European ethnicities. Some site even said there's some French in him, so there's that. I agree with you on this Ruth

tbh any production where they aren't speaking the language the characters spoke is a pet peeve of mine. like i dono if i'm just permafried or something but it seems insane whenever i see it

Ace

Ace

Ace

Visuals look great, of course, but it's weird watching a Napoleon movie where no one speaks French or even has a French accent.
Last edited by radewart on July 10th, 2023, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My preference is when they speak in the native language, it's especially helpful when you have characters of multiple nationalities and you don't have to guess who's supposed to be speaking which language in the scene but I also don't mind them speaking English. However, I hate when characters who are supposed to speak French, speak in English with French accents. The French accent is always cringe. We get it, they're "speaking French".

radewart wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 10:51 am
Visuals look great, of course, but it's weird watching a Napoleon movie where no one speaks French of even has a French accent.
I mean, Vinland Saga is a great anime about medieval Norse cultures and noone speaks Danish, Swedish or Norwegian...all the characters speak Japanese. Didn't bother me.

I approach this film the same way.

im always up for whatever Ridley is gonna give us, and the movie itself looks great, but i also gotta say, what a generic arse trailer, complete with a butchered, cringy cover of "the national anthem" wich in itself is a crime (and a trend i thought dead for movie trailers) also i feel like Joaquin is hamfisting the role a bit haha, but im gonna wait for the movie to judge that.