Asteroid City (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This may be the cast that actually gets me to watch another Wes Anderson movie.

DoubleD wrote:
August 19th, 2021, 11:51 am
Never understood why some people watch or not watch certain movies because of the cast. At a certain professional level, it doesn't matter at all if Leo DiCaprio or some unknown indie actor is playing the role. It's mainly the directors vision and the implementation of it, that leads to a good, solid or bad film.

I would go even further. If I were a famous director who can do everything he/she wants (Nolan, Tarantino etc.), I would mostly cast unknown actors. The illusion of a fictional story works way better when you know that you don't see Will Smith acting on the screen.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
August 20th, 2021, 8:34 am
DoubleD wrote:
August 19th, 2021, 11:51 am
Never understood why some people watch or not watch certain movies because of the cast. At a certain professional level, it doesn't matter at all if Leo DiCaprio or some unknown indie actor is playing the role. It's mainly the directors vision and the implementation of it, that leads to a good, solid or bad film.

I would go even further. If I were a famous director who can do everything he/she wants (Nolan, Tarantino etc.), I would mostly cast unknown actors. The illusion of a fictional story works way better when you know that you don't see Will Smith acting on the screen.
It's not the cast that keep me from watching his movies. It's that I typically don't like his style of filmmaking. But the cast for this particular one includes a lot of my favorites, so it's good enough to get me to check out a film I typically wouldn't.

That's all.

Matt Dillon has been spotted on set in Spain

Bill Murray confirms the title is Asteroid City.

Film will be released from Focus Features rather than Searchlight
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/wes- ... 235321125/
In addition to directing, Anderson wrote the story with Roman Coppola. In the newly unveiled plot description, “Asteroid City” is described as a “poetic meditation on the meaning of life.” Set in a fictional American desert town circa 1955 and its Junior Stargazer convention, the film brings together students and parents from across the country for scholarly competition, rest and recreation, comedy, drama, romance, and more.

The star-studded cast features Tom Hanks and Margot Robbie in their Anderson film debuts, plus Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Jeffrey Wright, Tilda Swinton, Bryan Cranston, Ed Norton, Adrien Brody, Liev Schreiber, Hope Davis, Stephen Park, Rupert Friend, Maya Hawke, Steve Carell, Matt Dillon, Hong Chau, Willem Dafoe, Tony Revolori, Jake Ryan, Grace Edwards, Aristou Meehan, Sophia Lillis, Ethan Lee, Jeff Goldblum and Rita Wilson.

Ace

YES! Very excited for this one. What an amazing cast. Interesting to see that the leads will be Schwartzman, Johansson and Hanks. Already feel like I'm going to love their characters, especially since they're going through an identity crisis apparently.

Looks great, can't wait!