Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Forum Pro
I just watched the trailers for this film again and wow…

This looks like the first Marvel movie to actually look it’s budget in a long time.

Saw this.

There's a lot to like about it.

Leticia Wright is okay, idk if she has enough gravitas to carry this as the main character, but she definitely grows on you and by the end she makes you feel deeply.

Danai Gurira is absolutely the standout. Her character is fucking badass, and her performance is stellar overall. I just want a story with her at the center.

The CGI was spotty, which has honestly been a theme in this phase of the MCU. Really all of the films since Endgame, aside from No Way Home, have been quite disappointing. But I'd rank this around the top.

It's also a heartfelt eulogy for Chadwick Boseman. I cried.

The score is the best of the MCU. The movie honours Boseman's memory in a heartfelt way (which retrospectively makes me once again mad that Terrio and Abrams couldn't understand that SW9 should begin with Leia's funeral...)
But why the hell are Martin Freeman and Julia Louis-Dreyfus in this ? Probably not Coogler's decision since he doesn't give a sh*t about them.
Also, they want to have their cake and eat it in the final battle.
The idea of the two nations destroying themselves through war and vengeance is interesting but they also want to have a badass fight where we cheer for Wakanda. The two can't coexist.
7.5/10

I enjoyed it. It was more mature in terms of themes and tone than other MCU movies this phase and the score was fantastic. I still feel the "memorial" for Chadwick is at least one year too late to really pack an emotional punch.

I really didn't like the choice of the successor as
the thought of the actress' weird anti-science stances lingered in my mind during the film, taking me out of it, but acting wise I can't say she didn't deliver. She is a strong actress but I wouldn't want to work with her if I was Disney. First of all, they should have just recast the role, as for me, the funeral just didn't work emotionally. But I understand they didn't felt like it at the time of shooting so if they were to recast, I just think she was a poor choice and it should have been either Nakia or M'baku. Thank god for the post credit scene as we at least now have a way of "bringing back" T'Chala.
Namor was really good, loved the flashback scenes.

Overall, it's a good movie, with great music, but definitely too long.

Thinking again about the lesbian representation in this film. Oh my, it's laughable. Like if it was following a studio guideline :
-less than 5 seconds
-a scene separated from the others in the edit
-doesn't move the plot
The second most ridiculous after the kiss in the background at the end of Rise of Skywalker.
At least Eternals made a five minute sequence with a gay couple, and Doctor Strange put a lesbian couple in an important scene to develop its character.
I blame Disney more than Coogler, and anyway Coogler has done so much for representation of african-american and latino, that he would get a pass.