Judas and the Black Messiah (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Directed by Shaka King, starring Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield in the titular roles. Also starring Martin Sheen and Meth Damon.

daniel kaluuya and lakeith stanfield.... no need to say more. i'm so hyped for this one! and that trailer is just lit

This looks fantastic. I've become a fan of Kaluuya after Get Out and especially Widows. Dude commands the screen.

Looks very good. Finally a Fred Hampton movie hopefully done properly.

This was pretty damn great. Basically doing The Departed inside the world of the Black Panthers in Chicago. A really clever way to tell this story, on tops of the importance it just makes it a quite entertaining piece of cinema. Kaluuya was great and extraordinarily charismatic but I found Lakeith Stanfield to be the slightly underrated (in comparison to Kaluuya) MVP. Just a riveting and complex performance. Nice as always to see Jesse Plemmons as well. Bobbitt always assured behind the camera.

thought this was incredible, absolutely avoids the biopic pitfalls and has the potential to be a future classic. the action feels so immediate and immersive. its politics are unheard of for a modern hollywood film (tho it arguably should be told from Hampton's POV). kaluuya is unbelievable, by far the best performance of 2020. but as allstar said, stanfield is also excellent as the betrayer. the biblical framing works quite nicely, and the film feels piercingly relevant without hitting you over the head like the trial of the chicago 7. great cinema.

Sky007 wrote:
February 16th, 2021, 12:51 am
kaluuya is unbelievable, by far the best performance of 2020.
2021 ;)

I liked it as well. It's a good film. For me both Kaluuya and Stanfield gave really strong performances and the story is really fascinating. As usual with biopics I was thinking about what really happened and what was made up but the additional information during the credits were very impactful... to the point I kind of wished these events were in the film as well as a bookend.

The one thing that really bothered me is the lack of tension. For an informant movie I don't think the tension has been very well presented. They tried, obviously, but nobody, not the police, not the other police informant, really were carying that sense of dread with themselves before big things happened.