Interesting Movies That Won't Sustain Threads

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

I've seen Tar, The Menu, She Said and Bones and All and I really dug the first three and I was unfortunately dissapointed by Bones and All. Meandering, boring characters, very mixed on meaning.

Tar was the only great one, though. I didn't expect to like it this much. Hell, I didn't even expect to like it 15 minutes in. Seemed like it's going to be a boring biopic at first. I actually thought it was based on a real person. But it really hooks you in beginning with her lecture at Juilliard. Great film and I was very surprised it was a meaningful double feature for me that day with The Menu. The Menu is definitely much more on the nose with its critique of the "elites" but it is more fun.

She Said is solid. If you like investigative journalism movies, it's that. It's not one of the best but it is servicable. The best most fascinating moment was probably the recording of Weinstein and another person. It seemed very real and brutal but I wasn't able to find a confirmation if it was.

Ace

Ace

https://variety.com/2023/film/global/ja ... 235494855/
Jacques Audiard, the Oscar-nominated French director (“A Prophet”), is finally getting ready to shoot his next film, “Emilia Perez,” this spring with a cast led by Karla Sofia Gascón, Selena Gomez and Zoe Saldaña.

After “Paris, 13th District,” an intimate black-and-white film about millennial love, Audiard is aiming to build a larger canvas for “Emilia Perez,” a musical crime comedy which Audiard tells Variety will lense in a studio near Paris instead of Mexico, as originally planned.

Gascón, a rising Argentinian trans actor, will play a feared Mexican cartel leader who undergoes a sex change to get away from the law, becoming the woman he’s always wanted to be.

Audiard says the idea for “Emilia Perez” came to him more than two years ago as “an opera libretto in four acts,” and that’s how he wrote the treatment.
“It was the first time that an idea [for a film] came to me under this shape and that might explain why I will direct the movie in a studio,” says Audiard. “It’s like a return to a primary intuition.”

Audiard has assembled a renown creative team for the film: composer Clement Ducol, singer, songwriter/composer Camille, and choreographer Damien Jalet.

The Palme d’Or winning director says filming in a studio will give him “more freedom for the parts that are sung and choreographed.”

LelekPL wrote:
May 11th, 2023, 12:04 pm
I’ll watch anything Lanthimos does. Love The Lobster and Favourite

Ace