RIP Joel Schumacher (1939-2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Joel Schumacher Dies: Director Of Two Batman & Brat Pack Pics, ‘Falling Down’ & Others Was 80

Joel Schumacher, who directed some two dozen films including Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Brat Pack pics St. Elmo’s Fire and The Lost Boys along with Falling Down and John Grisham adaptations The Client and A Time to Kill, died today. He was 80.

His publicists at ID PR said he had a yearlong battle with cancer.

Schumacher was revered as one of Hollywood’s great storytellers. He had enormous charm and wit and could walk onto a tense set and instantly change everyone’s mood. It was magic chemistry.

His credits also include the 1980s pics D.C. Cab and The Incredible Shrinking Woman. He also helmed The Phantom of the Opera, Flatliners, Flawless, 8MM Phone Booth, Trespass and most recently two 2013 episodes of Netflix’s House of Cards.

The native New Yorker also wrote the 1976 low-budget comedy Car Wash and the screenplays for a pair of film adaptations of Broadway musicals: 1978’s The Wiz and 2004’s The Phantom of the Opera — along with his films Flawless, St. Elmo’s Fire and D.C. Cab. He also penned the 1976 feature Sparkle, which was remade in 2012.

He also was in the director’s chair for some high-profile music videos including Seal’s chart-topping hit “Kiss from a Rose,” from 1995’s Batman Forever; and INXS’ “Devil Inside” (1988); and the Smashing Pumpkins’ “The End Is the Beginning Is the End,” which earned Schumacher a Best Director nom at the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards.

Born on August 29, 1939, in NYC, Schumacher first made his name as a costume designer for such 1070s pics as Woody Allen’s Sleeper and Interiors, along with Blume in Love, The Prisoner of Second Avenue and The Last of Sheila. He also was production designer on the 1974 telefilm Killer Bees during the disaster-movie era.

Schumacher directed some of Hollywood’s most in-demand stars, including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Cruise, George Clooney, Michael Douglas, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Anthony Hopkins, and Susan Sarandon. He also had a knack for helming young talents who would go on to be stars, such as Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Kiefer Sutherland, Colin Farrell and Gerard Butler.

The filmmaker’s Falling Down, starring Douglas as a frustrated everyman who explodes in rage, premiered at Cannes in 1993 and was a Palme d’Or nominee. His 1999 feature 8MM, starring Nicolas Cage, Joaquin Phoenix and James Gandolfini, was up for the Golden Bear at Berlin.

Schumacher also received the Distinguished Collaborator Award from the Costume Designers Guild in 2011 and that same year shared a Daytime Emmy Award nomination for the mental health documentary Half of Us.
Another truly sad news. When I was a kid, Batman Forever was one of my favorite movies that I would watch on repeat. I might have soured on it with time but the joy it gave me as a child will never be forgotten.

Also, he used to be heavily criticized for his Batman movies (I tend to like the camp of B&R) but you have to keep in mind he also made The Lost Boys, A Time to Kill, Falling Down, Phone Booth or 8MM which I still love till this day. He was definitely an underrated director.

Oh man... Just watched Batman Forever couple of days back. Will never forget watching it with my dad in cinema back in the 90s.

Rest in peace Mr. Schumacher.

Good director.

His Batman movies get shit on but they captured the spirit of the comic books better than Burton's.

I liked The Lost Boys, didn't care much for his Phantom of the Opera and I haven't seen Batman Forever or Batman and Robin but even if they turn out to be as bad or worse than people say they are I don't think it's enough of a reason to have dunked on the guy so much.

Batfan175 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 3:34 pm
I liked The Lost Boys, didn't care much for his Phantom of the Opera and I haven't seen Batman Forever or Batman and Robin but even if they turn out to be as bad or worse than people say they are I don't think it's enough of a reason to have dunked on the guy so much.
How are you batfan if you've never seen Batman Forever or B&R!?

LelekPL wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 3:34 pm
How are you batfan if you've never seen Batman Forever or B&R!?
I've seen clips here and there but they never got me interested enough to watch those films, sorry.