Dark (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Uno
Netflix's Dark - Season 3 - Date Announcement

This trailer is giving me TENET vibes. Can't wait!

WTF not a single post here about this BEAST of a series, which is probably going to be the most dissected show in coming years.

The first 3-4 episodes I was like I have seen this stuff so many times, do I really need to watch a 26 episode webseries doing the same shit. And then Ich bin Noah happened. How wrong was I. Curious as to what did Jantje Friese have for breakfast her entire life to be able to write something like this. There are/might be flaws, not just in terms of plot holes, but they take a backseat, because everything else is just so so much fun! Your memory gets severely tested as you have to remember everything that preceded and then also process what's going on in each episode.

Of course a rewatch is in order.

Season 1 is great, Season 2 is a masterpiece, Season 3 is a bit of a letdown.

It's a shame, since it was one of my most anticipated pieces of media this year.

-Vader

Only issue I had with season 3 is that it jumped through timelines a lot to a point where it felt there were over complicating things for the sake of it. But after watching the entire season things wrapped up quite nicely. Really fantastic.

I still think about that ending. I’m definitely going rewatch the whole as everything is so incredibly connected, you can easily miss a lot of details.

Tarssauce wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 6:03 pm
Only issue I had with season 3 is that it jumped through timelines a lot to a point where it felt there were over complicating things for the sake of it. But after watching the entire season things wrapped up quite nicely. Really fantastic.

I still think about that ending. I’m definitely going rewatch the whole as everything is so incredibly connected, you can easily miss a lot of details.
big spoilers for S3 to anyone who hasn't caught up:
I thought following multiple versions of most characters (in time and the alt-world), led to a less focused and slower paced season, especially when half the characters are following orders under false pretenses and/or don't know why they're doing what they're doing. It hurts momentum, but also gets in the way of developing individual character arcs of "journey" you can track from Episode 1 to Episode 8 and get really invested in.

These issues compound in the last couple episodes, like how Episode 7 leaves all these huge gaps in the overall narrative that seem like they'd have been much more compelling as drama to watch unfold, rather than the slower paced narrative elements of Episodes 1-5. They say information is the enemy of emotion, and too much of Dark S3 treated its plot as "information" and not as a personal "drama."

The biggest let down for me is that the the three masterplans, those by by Adam (destruction/nihilism), Eva (eternal recurrence) and Claudia (discovering the origin world), are "discovered" by these characters off-camera. These are major plot revelations and I didn't find it very satisfying as drama to have these served up as exposition dumps. Overall, I'm decently satisfied with the season, but imo it's the weakest season by a fine margin.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 6:19 pm
big spoilers for S3 to anyone who hasn't caught up:
I thought following multiple versions of most characters (in time and the alt-world), led to a less focused and slower paced season, especially when half the characters are following orders under false pretenses and/or don't know why they're doing what they're doing. It hurts momentum, but also gets in the way of developing individual character arcs of "journey" you can track from Episode 1 to Episode 8 and get really invested in.

These issues compound in the last couple episodes, like how Episode 7 leaves all these huge gaps in the overall narrative that seem like they'd have been much more compelling as drama to watch unfold, rather than the slower paced narrative elements of Episodes 1-5. They say information is the enemy of emotion, and too much of Dark S3 treated its plot as "information" and not as a personal "drama."

The biggest let down for me is that the the three masterplans, those by by Adam (destruction/nihilism), Eva (eternal recurrence) and Claudia (discovering the origin world), are "discovered" by these characters off-camera. These are major plot revelations and I didn't find it very satisfying as drama to have these served up as exposition dumps. Overall, I'm decently satisfied with the season, but imo it's the weakest season by a fine margin.

-Vader
I’m not gonna lie I was lost on how Adam, Eva and Claudia got to where they were at the end and I guess you’re right, they should’ve went deeper into how they figured things out. I think season 3 relies on the viewer being already invested in the characters and their journeys from the previous two seasons. I was invested emotionally and I find the ending to be quite satisfying on that end.

It’s kind of interesting how this show is slow paced but still throws so much at you. Would be interesting to see a more chronological version. I really think this show will get better on repeated viewings at a very slow pace.

No show is without flaws but I just love how things were meticulously planned for all seasons in such detailed manner. Also, one thing that bothered me at first but then became my favorite aspect about the season is how we got to see versions of the same characters that were minutes to hours apart, instead of the usual young vs. old versions. That was refreshing and added to the mystery.

I remember watching first 25 minutes of the first episode and switching it off. It was way too slow for my taste but maybe I should give it a second shot with all the praise it's been getting.

5 episodes in and I love this show. Can't wait to see where this goes.