Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
We can't know the reason until we see the film. Maybe it needs to be a teenage Furiosa so on that account Charlize would be out.

If not, I don't think age with Charlize would be a big issue yet. More likely it's because Miller hated working with Theron (possible considering the reported beef with her and Hardy), or the studio wants to cut costs and get a cheaper actress (also possible since Fury Road really didn't make that much money at the BO).

However, ageism is definitely affecting women more and often it makes no sense. I get not hiring Kelly McGillis for Top Gun 2 as visually she's not a great fit with Cruise who made some pact with the devil. But actresses like Julia Roberts or Catherine Zeta Jones basically disappearing from mainstream movies makes no sense to me. Also actresses who look older now have very little roles to play at the moment and that's a huge issue as well.

LelekPL wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 4:01 pm
Max is still Mel Gibson.

This? I don't know, a prequel doesn't sound that interesting to be honest.
bruh, who doesn't want to know the origin of Furiosa's mother and how Furiosa was formed in this apocalypse yo?

Me. Not a fan of prequels.

Well Gibson wasn't cast as Max in Fury Road :P

I can see why Theron is sad about it, I think we all are, but I admire Miller to continue in this world, even at his age, and probably deliver another spectacle again. I just can't wait to see more of his modern take on the Mad Max world.

Yeeeah, except the part that Gibson was 60 years old and looked 60 years old. Couldn't possibly be believable as an action lead.

Theron is 44 and looks about a decade younger. Not exactly the best comparison, now is it?

She does look younger than she is. But Miller wants to cover Furiosa's younger days, Comer is almost two decades younger so, from his POV it makes sense to cast someone who's like, you know, about two decades younger than Theron.

Gibson looks his age but he was just recast, there's still hope for Miller asking Theron back for a Fury Road sequel. Highly doubt Miller is going to ask Gibson back ever for Max.

I mean I love Theron, she's an incredible actress and I hope Furiosa gets to return in The Wasteland but I fully respect Miller to make this decision.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 11:31 am
Yeeeah, except the part that Gibson was 60 years old and looked 60 years old. Couldn't possibly be believable as an action lead.

Theron is 44 and looks about a decade younger. Not exactly the best comparison, now is it?
i mean, this Max was in his 30s and Gibson never would've passed as a guy in his 30s, while Theron's 44, older by the time it shoots, and would need to pass as someone in her early 20s, and she never would pass as that without de-aging technology.

-Vader

Yeah, but the question is, did they think Theron is too old so let's go prequels now, in the first place?

Theron's performance was one of the most praised aspects of the film. Typically people don't abandon a popular star who has shined in a role to do prequels.

Master Virgo wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 5:20 pm
Yeah, but the question is, did they think Theron is too old so let's go prequels now, in the first place?

Theron's performance was one of the most praised aspects of the film. Typically people don't abandon a popular star who has shined in a role to do prequels.
that's a pretty bad faith reading of miller considering he just made arguably the most progressive blockbuster of all time and made a woman the star of the uber-macho mad max series. i'm gunna give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

-Vader

Yeah, personally I’m giving Miller the benefit of the doubt on this one as well.