Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Felt like this needed to be done since it's basically a new movie and now confirmed.

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) - HBO Max
I want to thank HBO Max and Warner Brothers for this brave gesture of supporting artists and allowing their true visions to be realized. Also a special thank you to all of those involved in the SnyderCut movement for making this a reality,” said Snyder in a statement announcing the news.
This morning, director Zack Snyder hosted a Man of Steel viewing party on Vero. And during his live commentary of the film, he announced that his long-rumored cut of Justice League will premiere on HBO Max in 2021.

As noted yesterday, this is a huge move for HBO Max in the home entertainment arena. Streaming numbers are bigger than ever thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, so the most major streaming competitors—Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+—need a leg up wherever they can get it. And by obtaining exclusive rights to the original cut of a famous Hollywood failure, HBO Max positions itself on an unparalleled level.

This is huge news for fans of Snyder, who have made the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut hashtag go viral on Twitter. Three years ago when Justice League released, the version moviegoers saw was (as we later found out) a heavily edited version of what Snyder had originally envisioned. Ever since, people have long wondered what the original film would have looked like.

The post-production process of Justice League is now the stuff of lore in Hollywood. It all stemmed from the incredibly poor reception of Snyder’s first two DC efforts, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which were heavily derided by critics and comic book fans. And while there was a contingency of fans who loved those departure takes on the superhero genre, the criticism was heavy enough that Warner Bros. sought to take the DC Extended Universe in a new direction.

From there, Warner Bros. hired the team of Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, who were put in charge of overseeing the DCEU moving forward. They then began to work with Snyder to rewrite Justice League—for which Snyder had planned a five-movie arc.

After the new script was filmed, Snyder’s daughter unfortunately passed away, which removed him from the post-production process. Warner Bros. then hired Marvel director Joss Whedon to come in and perform reshoots. What resulted was a 120-minute film that was heavily criticized for its uneven tone and choppy writing—a far cry from the 3-and-a-half-hour Justice League cut Snyder had originally planned.

But now the myth of Snyder’s Justice League cut has gone from legend to reality. After Snyder’s confirmation on the Man of Steel viewing party, we can expect to see his original cut of Justice League next year.

HBO Max launches next Wednesday, May 27.
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean ... d6b837494d

:clap: :batman:

Good for Snyder. Glad things worked out for him.

Thanks, was just about to post snippets from that article.

"It Will Be an Entirely New Thing": Zack Snyder's $20M-Plus 'Justice League' Cut Plans Revealed
HBO Max will debut the project in 2021 — possibly in a four-hour director's cut or in six TV-style "chapters" — as the helmer gets the gang back together with the original postproduction crew to score, cut and finish visual effects.
"It will be an entirely new thing, and, especially talking to those who have seen the released movie, a new experience apart from that movie," Zack Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter, noting that, to this day, he has not watched the version released in theaters.
"You probably saw one-fourth of what I did," the director notes, basing his judgment on what has been shared with him of Whedon's version.
Much more behind the link.

4 to 6 hours? Original crew returning? Additional story/character development?

Sign me the fuck up.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 2:32 pm
4 to 6 hours? Original crew returning? Additional story/character development?

Sign me the fuck up.

Hollywood Reporter article basically reveals every single step that has happened along the way. The meaty most important chunk:
It was on the two-year anniversary, however, that the zenith hit and the hashtag became a top worldwide trend. "#ReleasetheSnyderCut is the most-tweeted hashtag about a movie that WB has ever made, but it’s a movie they’ve never released," says Snyder. "It’s a weird stat but it’s cool."

After the Saturday morning phone call, the Snyders began to move puzzle pieces into place. "We had to figure out what it meant to finish it, and how do you pull it off?" recalls Deborah.

The Snyders put together a presentation and, in early February, invited a select group of executives from Warner Bros., HBO Max, and DC to their house in Pasadena to screen Zack's little-seen version that was shown in black and white. The number of executives in the room — there were more than a dozen in attendance, ranging from Warners' Emmerich, Carolyn Blackwood, Walter Hamada and Courtney Valenti to HBO Max's Kevin Reilly, Sarah Aubrey and Sandra Dewey to DC's Jim Lee — showed the importance of the potentially extensive undertaking. Heads of physical production and business affairs were there to assess what needed to be done and how much it would cost. At his presentation after the screening, Snyder outlined ideas for not just releasing the cut but the concept of episodes and cliffhangers.

The executives left the meeting pumped. The Snyder Cut was real. Except then it almost wasn’t.

The novel coronavirus struck, and Hollywood all but shut down in mid-March. Says Deborah, "People thought, 'It won’t be possible to ramp up, and that maybe this should go on the back burner.' But we said, 'No, this is the right time' because our visual effects houses that rely on so much are running out of work, so now is the time to be doing this." It also helped that many of those post facilities had held on to the original assets.

Snyder also spent April and May reaching out to the sizable cast, giving a heads-up on the new development and letting them know their services may be needed. (The first person called: Ray Fisher, who played Cyborg. "He was like, 'You’re kidding me, right?'" recalls Zack.)

There is no schedule going forward at this stage for the project as talks are now beginning with post-production houses, which also gives HBO Max plenty of time to find the best way to present this version of Justice League. Snyder is at the same time in post on Army of the Dead, his zombie thriller for Netflix that also will debut in 2021.

My very controversial hot take is that while I fully expect to hate this and I hate how toxic the fans have been, i'm genuinely glad for Zack Snyder this is seeing the light of day. He appears to be a genuinely wonderful dude, and his daughter committed suicide.

Also, an artist having their vision see the light of day is always a good thing imo, even if that vision won't appeal to me. If I hated Welles I'd still think there's value in The Other Side of the Wind coming out.

-Vader

No fucking way lmfao.

I'm okay with this tbf. I expect something more coherent than the theatrical cut, but c'mon, this is not gonna be the second coming. Not even close.

I echo Vader and m4st4's sentiments. It's great that we get to see Snyder's true vision, but JL was pretty much fucked from the start. and I really doubt this'll be the thing that fixes that entire clusterfuck.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but... We know that ain't happening.

i just wrote a long ass thread on this but idk anyway. whole lotta emotions.

Basically what Vader said - that's the most important thing here anyway, above toxic fandom even IMO