Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 9:11 pm
Against all odds, I actually liked this! It's undeniably messy, an hour too long, and the parademon/motherbox stuff is ugly and drags, but the character work for me was top-notch. Possibly my favorite Snyder film after 300. It's more of a character driven arty sci-f fantasy epic than a regular superhero movie, one all about broken families, absent fathers and loss, and how coming together as a team was more an acting of penance and healing than anything else. Those elements hit hard and felt sincere, as MZS said, as if Snyder was working through stuff.

Ironically, the opening hour was my favorite: strong character setups with epic, mythic images in tableau, and grounded yet huge in scale. Cyborg's stuff throughout was a highlight.

It's somewhere around a B- for me while I expected it to be closer to a D a week ago. Pleasantly surprised.

-Vader
Yeah, the best part of MZS' review is when he takes a shot at the Dark Knight, and when he compares the Snyder cut to Satantango...

How are we ranking Henry Cavill's hair as Superman? I'd go:

1.) ZSJL
2.) MOS
3.) BvS

I don't get what they were trying to do here.......

On a more serious note, I'm yet to watch ZSJL. What's the consensus on watching this? Do you have one sitting or break it into two nights? I watched the Netflix edition of The Hateful Eight (which was cut into 4 hour parts) and loved the experience of cutting that up into two different nights. I ended up enjoying that film a lot more.

Perhaps more interestingly, the ZSJL is the same length as WandaVision. Which I also binged over two nights and enjoyed.

Snyder Rises

Finally finished it last night. Feel that ZSJL is Snyder at his most and I really wasn't able to like it.

Ben Affleck looks ridiculously handsome in the reshoots....How can they not bring him back as Batman?!?

Because batfleck was the shittiest. Even with this movie getting decent reviews, no one is complementing this notbatman. From what I've seen people talk about Cyborg and Flash as being the only real beneficiaries of this new version. Also, it's over. DC is taking a different direction, Snyder fanatics can be greateful HBO Max is a thing and have this and The Flash be the last dance for themselves.

Now the future looks much more promising with Reeves's The Batman.

Sucks that we probably won't ever see Fisher's Cyborg in anything. By far the most compelling DC superhero since Batbale.

4/5.
So happy we have this film. Started a rewatch and halfway in, it continues to grow more on more. Flash and Cyborg are the obvious standouts.

Dialogue, length, and some musical choices are an issue but overall, just really blessed to have this experience.

Got no problem with ZS ending here but if the snyderverse continues, I won't complain.

LuciusNightmare wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 4:21 pm
Ben Affleck looks ridiculously handsome in the reshoots....How can they not bring him back as Batman?!?
this I agree! almost stunned by Ben's cool in the final scene

Somebody stop Ray Fisher. Yeah, I get that Whedon fucked him over, but don't force Hamada's hand and then bitch about it. And also asking for evidence when he hasn't provided any himself??

Oh and the "pay no attention to Black Superman; I MATTER" ?

Get fucked.