Da 5 Bloods (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I agree with Vader, I loved this and liked it more than Klansman. Lindo was incredible as everyone is saying but also thought Clarke Peters was absolutely fantastic.

It’s interesting to imagine Sam Jackson playing Paul, apparently he originally was when Spike was pitching to studios. I could def see him crushing it but obviously it was perfect just how we got it. Just fun to think about the alternate reality.

I guess I won't get the answer of where does this rank. BTW anyone can chime in.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is better than Blackkklansman. Right now I say no but I need to see this a few more times and not go off of one viewing. This movie is good and I enjoyed it. There are some major flaws in it that I didn't like on first view but again that could change my opinion as we go forward.

I loved the cast and the acting is very good especially Lindo, Majors, Peters and Boseman.
Even though Boseman didn't have a lot of scenes, he killed every scene he was in and made a very convincing messiah like character.
The other scenes I loved:
The music: All of Marvin Gaye's songs, Ride of the Valkyries.

When we first meet Da Bloods in the hotel lobby and they catch up with each other and then go to the club and dance. That sequenced reminded me so much of how my parents when they get older and act around their friends.

Digging up Norman's remains. Great build up and shot.

The entire landmine sequence especially Paul reminding David about Edwin Moses and using his legs to run away from the landmine when pulled. It was tense and incredible bonding between father and son.

Paul's scenes alone in the jungle and making peace with what happened with him and Norm. Just great acting by Lindo. Had one of Lee's famous monologues. Not sure if this one rank as high as the insulting races in Do The Right Thing or Monty's fuck you in 25th Hour but it was very good.

Finding out about MLK assassination from Hanoi Hannah. That was crushing and how Norman get this focused and back on track.

The real footage of the events of the Vietnam War, MLK, Ali, etc at the beginning and the intercuts of other events like Crispus Attucks, Trump throughout the movie.
What I didn't like as much:
The battle scenes. You could tell this is not Lee's forte.

The score. I was very underwhelmed and I love Blanchard but this was not one of his best.

The how convenient of finding the gold when David goes to drop a load and when the French landmine crew shows up as David steps on the landmine.

Tipping off that something was going to happen to Eddie before he got blown up. When the camera started following him as he was backing up was too obvious. I kind of wish they had left a little suspense there and shocked us. Maybe pan out to the entire Bloods and as he's stepping back BOOM! instead of focusing on him with a tight shot. I knew something was going to happen to him.
There was nothing in this movie that I hated just a few gripes.