Untitled Tom Cruise/NASA/SpaceX Project (TBD)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
AhmadAli95 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 2:44 pm
DHOPW42 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 1:58 pm
I'm afraid that in certain situations people don't really care what the film is about as long it's a technical achievement... I'm thinking of how "one take" scenes are becoming hip these days (not saying that they haven't done long take scenes decades ago, but it seems like for a lot of people it's enough to know that a long scene was done in one take, so it's automatically good... or I might be too cynical, I don't know).
No I get what you mean. People will definitely hype this up because of the technical achievement. I hope they do something amazing that is worthy of going up there. Because if it’s just to shoot a bit in Zero G then I don’t know if it’s worth it. Shooting up there must have its limitations so I’m not holding my breath. I truly hope they put story first and use space in an effective way.

We’ll see I guess.
From what I am aware of, there are absolutely limitations. Like, if Cruise is up there for a week, he would only be able to shoot for two days or so. It's unlikely the director/DOP would be able to go up, they'd do their jobs remotely from the ground. I presume whatever the limitations are, be it the above or others, they'll reverse engineer the script and story from that.

antovolk wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 3:29 pm
From what I am aware of, there are absolutely limitations. Like, if Cruise is up there for a week, he would only be able to shoot for two days or so. It's unlikely the director/DOP would be able to go up, they'd do their jobs remotely from the ground. I presume whatever the limitations are, be it the above or others, they'll reverse engineer the script and story from that.
I mean it’s gonna be interesting no matter what to see a part of a narrative film shot in space. But even if they had more time, I imagine they may not be able to execute crazy stunts due to safety and what not.

Doug Liman To Direct Tom Cruise In Outer Space-Shot Movie Collaboration With Elon Musk & NASA
Doug Liman will boldly go where no film director has gone before. Liman plans to accompany Tom Cruise on the action adventure film to be shot in outer space that is being mounted independently (for now) and involves Elon Musk’s Space X and NASA. Liman, who directed Cruise on the movies American Made and Edge of Tomorrow, and who separately directed such hits as Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Bourne Identity, Go and Swingers, is eager to re-team on this first of its kind project, I’m told.

This is not some loose attachment. Liman and Cruise hatched this whole thing together, with Liman writing the first draft of the screenplay and producing along with Cruise.
https://deadline.com/2020/05/doug-liman ... 202943591/

Saying this as someone who loves Edge of Tomorrow, Liman probably should stay as far from a project this high risk as possible.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 5:49 pm
Saying this as someone who loves Edge of Tomorrow, Liman probably should stay as far from a project this high risk as possible.

-Vader
I know right. Probably why there's no studio involved yet haha.

nolannolanchrischris wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Vader182 wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 5:49 pm

-Vader
I know right. Probably why there's no studio involved yet haha.
Also I guess cost. We're talking 50-60m+ per person to go up there. Not to mention insurance and training. There's some speculation this is connected/a rework of Luna Park which both Liman and Cruise were doing at Paramount for ages (supposedly a heist film set on the moon) if true it sounds like an Irishman/Flower Moon situation of the project being dropped because of the cost.

I'm guessing, unless like Musk writes off the cost of getting Cruise up there, this will be with Netflix or Apple. I'm betting the latter. This is the sort of project primed for their service and Cook's vision of it.

My guess is Musk doesn't put the cost of sending actors and crew to space on the production company/studio in exchange for plenty of Space X logos throughout the film. Establishing Space X as the defacto provider of human space travel is a great PR move.

Also Space X and NASA are sending humans to space in about 2 hours y'all.

TeddyBlass wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Cruise has secretly boarded the ship

TeddyBlass wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 2:40 pm
My guess is Musk doesn't put the cost of sending actors and crew to space on the production company/studio in exchange for plenty of Space X logos throughout the film. Establishing Space X as the defacto provider of human space travel is a great PR move.

I think it's worth mentioning that officially, Deadline's reports aside, there's been no formal announcement on SpaceX/Musk's involvement, only NASA's formally confirmed - aside from the obvious one that it's SpaceX rockets that will be taking them up there in any case. For all we know, the flight itself might not be necessarily arranged via SpaceX.