Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm
radewart wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:43 pm
Polls are given too much credence. People tell you one thing and go on and do the opposite. Also, often people will answer the way they expect the questioner wants them to,i.e, in this case, that it's too dangerous right now to go to movie theaters. I'll never completely trust public polls again after they all ensured me in 2016 that there's no way that Trump was gonna win.
As I've said before, if you polled 1000 college kids whether they'll get shitfaced that weekend and it's a public poll, plenty of them will say "only a few drinks" or "of course not" but we all know many (most) would get plastered.

Polls like these mostly ascertain people's impression of what they should do, not what they will.

-Vader
Voting for Trump is binge drinking.

Polish cinemas are opening and one of the major chains is offering classic movies on Tuesdays. It's a cool initiative. The first movie on the list is the infamous in US "The Jazz Singer". Definitely an important movie but over here blackface isn't really known to be offensive so there's not much controversy about it yet... then again, maybe most people really don't know this movie :P Other than that we'll getting some all time classics. Streetcar Named Desire, Singing in the Rain, Rebel Without a Cause, Rio Bravo, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Casablanca, Bridges of Madison County and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

hahahhaah wtf

you simply can't out america america

The choice of venues was strategic. New Jersey is a major source of revenue — its nearly 100 theaters represent 2.5% of the overall box office — and it also accounts for a portion of the New York metro area, the nation’s biggest source of ticket sales. Exhibitors worried that suing New York, which also has yet to set a date for a state-wide re-opening of cinemas, would enrage Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who’s seen as more volatile than the mild-mannered Murphy, and set back the industry’s cause. Moreover, if the theaters prevail in their constitutional argument, it will put pressure on the five other states that have yet to set a timetable for theaters to come back online to provide firmer guidelines. Theater chains are considering additional suits in other states, but hope that the New Jersey case will establish a firm precedent, according to individuals familiar with the litigation.
Nolan, why do you need to cape for these idiots, let them crash and burn and rebuild

10-8 is going to get pushed back again. no way it is releasing in next couple of months.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/screen ... 64.article

UK exhibitors urge US studios to release their films in world’s open cinemas
With coronavirus infection rates in the US still rising and release dates for big US studio films from Mulan to Tenet being pushed further and further back, Phil Clapp, CEO of the UK Cinema Association, acknowledged the challenges facing UK and European exhibitors “heavily reliant” on US product.

“We very much risk having a significant region of cinema open and ready for business and because of things that are completely outside our influence elsewhere in the world, not having enough content to bring people back in,” Clapp said.

“We never thought that tap would be turned off,” he said of the scenario cinemas now face: No steady stream of Hollywood blockbusters to show in them.

“I completely understand the desire to wait for a global release date. I totally get piracy. I totally get all those challenges but if you wait for a global release date, you could be waiting for a very, very long time,” said Lilly. “At some point there has to be recognition that you are not going to realise 100% of returns on those films that you were hoping for five months ago.”

He made a plea to studio chiefs: “Look at the global footprint and if you think you can get 75%, go for it. That, in its way, will help start along the path [to recovery].”

“If we wait for the stars to be aligned, there may not be a European cinema sector to arrive at when we get there,” Clapp agreed. “What we will lose in doing that is much, much greater in the grand scheme of things that some marginal reduction in revenue around a particular title.”

“I absolutely understand the move toward global day and date is being driven by marketing spend; it is being driven by piracy and a range of other things. But without sounds too apocalyptic - and now I am going to - we are talking about the survival of the sector here. Piracy and marketing spend become a bit of an irrelevance.”

I would love for American blockbuster to be released in Europe where cinemas are ready to show them.
But it also shows that cinema is one of the many sectors where Europe must develop its own leadership. French cinema peaked until 1945 with Renoir, Carné, Pagnol, Clair, Clouzot... and in 1946, the USA negotiated a new agreement to help release American film in France, and the French cinema had to wait for the New Wave to peak again. English cinema peaked from 1945 to 1955 with Ealing comedies, David Lean, Michael Powell... because release of American films was made more complex by agreements to protect English films release...
The dominance of American film is as much a cause as a consequence of the weaker quality of European films. (Yet, the fact that French, German, Italian... movies have less means is also due to them not being in English, and many people still preferring to watch movies in original language without subtitles.)
So there are many challenges, but if shooting of big american blockbuster is slowed, if releases are delayed, this could paradoxically be good for European films, or terrible for European cinemas...

Demoph wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 8:47 am
I would love for American blockbuster to be released in Europe where cinemas are ready to show them.
But it also shows that cinema is one of the many sectors where Europe must develop its own leadership. French cinema peaked until 1945 with Renoir, Carné, Pagnol, Clair, Clouzot... and in 1946, the USA negotiated a new agreement to help release American film in France, and the French cinema had to wait for the New Wave to peak again. English cinema peaked from 1945 to 1955 with Ealing comedies, David Lean, Michael Powell... because release of American films was made more complex by agreements to protect English films release...
The dominance of American film is as much a cause as a consequence of the weaker quality of European films. (Yet, the fact that French, German, Italian... movies have less means is also due to them not being in English, and many people still preferring to watch movies in original language without subtitles.)
So there are many challenges, but if shooting of big american blockbuster is slowed, if releases are delayed, this could paradoxically be good for European films, or terrible for European cinemas...
I personally watch many films that are not in English language as I follow the film festivals every year and I don't think that European films are weaker compared to American films or better. Where I would agree is that the commercial European films are indeed pretty weak.
The artsy films I think are as good as American films though they are definitely not for the masses so it's hard for European cinemas to rely on them. Also Europe I think invests way less money compared to the US, so it's reasonable to have less flashy productions here.
Also as you very well pointed out English is a universal language and is accepted by every country. In Europe we have many different languages and very few are shared so even if some of us have no issue to watch foreign films I think there is a significant group of people who wouldn't watch them.
In conclusion I don't think is bad to rely on American cinematic products. I think the process of shooting films will change and yes I think it will be slower with much smaller crews and big blockbusters will focus more on digital productions. Films like Bond, Tenet etc will be much harder to get made in the next couple of years.