Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
it's so fucking petty imo

It’s hard to pick a side. Universal releasing films simultaneously in theaters and VOD could hurt the industry - even though there are a lot of people who deliberately choose to wait for VOD and skip the theatrical run. There are also people who pirate movies. There are movies that get released late while VOD is available somewhere, so people who care about the theatrical experience will go regardless it was out or not.

The studios will benefit from this because they’ll get their money from both sides, while theaters *might* get affected because people will have the ultimate power. Watch a movie from the comfort of your own home or probably spend extra money to see the same movie in a theater?

A VOD choice is reasonable given the current situation with COVID-19. Not everyone can or has the desire to risk their health or the health of others because of a movie. It’s a dilemma. I truly think theaters should reconsider the theatrical window and try to find strategies and opportunities instead of being bitter and going to war against VOD. Everything’s gonna change and they’ll to bring out their best and truly give people a reason to leave their homes.

TeddyBlass wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Regal owner Cineworld joins AMC in banning Universal

https://collider.com/regal-cinemas-cine ... ew-movies/
Bad reporting as Regal/Cineworld haven't at all done that. Variety, Collider and a couple others misinterpreted their press release.

They're joining in with bashing Universal but aren't banning all their titles, including F9, unlike AMC. Just reiterating the same policy they and other majors had before

I read it as AMC was going under the assumption that Universal's statement (“As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats.”) included their major releases. The statement was vague even though we all know Universal most likely wouldn't do that with their biggest releases.

ew Matt Goldberg

Numbers wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 9:27 pm
ew Matt Goldberg
Agreed lol.

If the theatrical window falls, theatres will cease to exist as a for-profit business. A few theatres in urban areas will continue to exist as part of non-profit foundations or publicly funded historic landmarks.

Numbers wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 9:27 pm
ew Matt Goldberg
Truly the least knowledgeable blogger on film. Tried to listen to the collider podcast and he is just the worst. Last of his kind? reminds me of guys like Devin Faraci. :sick:

Also, I love that cinemas are taking a hard stand here. Some of the studio executives should know better than to say shit like that public. We all know where this is heading anyways, but come on. Cinemas gotta fight for their life and I love when gloves comes off.