Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Michaelf2225 wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 3:19 pm
this attitude that streaming is profitable for first release movies is surreal to me, because:

1) nobody wants to pay for content. they want unlimited access to "rented" content. see netflix, spotify, etc.

2) even in that context, netflix loses money every year, and that's the "best one"

the only way to make any money on movies, is the cinema. this has been true for 100 years, and it's going to remain true until 200 million dollar productions cease to exist or "rented" service subscriptions FAR exceed the cash spent on production; which, seems like it might happen in... 20 years

(if the U.S. capitalist system actually worked properly Netflix would have folded years ago. they've been operating on promised "future profits" for as long as they've existed)
You’re forgetting two things: merchandise and tie-ins.

Everthing is a fuckery right now and I need my Wondie, Bond and Dune on a hard drive, locked and secured before Christmas so I can at least have a good night's rest.

You can always rewatch Birds of Prey.

Regal's parent company

This shouldn't have happened. I blame both the governments for waving of art and entertainment, as usual, and studios for not wanting to compromise. And now what, there won't be any places left in 2021 for their unrealistic b. o. projections.

I understand the studios don't want to lose money on their high profile films but at some point they're gonna have to start getting income from somewhere even if it doesn't cover production cost. They cannot operate on just merchandising money if they're not Disney (Star Wars, Princesses and Marvel brands will be enough).

Big reorganizations incoming.

Ace

Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate — a list of films that includes “The Matrix 4,” Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” remake, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical adaptation of “In the Heights,” Sopranos prequel “The Many Saints of Newark,” and “The Suicide Squad” — will debut both on HBO Max and in theaters on their respective release dates. The shocking move to simultaneously release movies day-and-date underscores the crisis facing movie theaters and the rising importance of streaming services in the wake of a global health crisis that’s decimated the film exhibition community.

Chris bout to be the biggest free agent since LeBron

Ace wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate — a list of films that includes “The Matrix 4,” Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” remake, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical adaptation of “In the Heights,” Sopranos prequel “The Many Saints of Newark,” and “The Suicide Squad” — will debut both on HBO Max and in theaters on their respective release dates. The shocking move to simultaneously release movies day-and-date underscores the crisis facing movie theaters and the rising importance of streaming services in the wake of a global health crisis that’s decimated the film exhibition community.
Wow. Considering his relationship with WB, I wonder what Nolan thinks of this.