Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ChristNolan wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 2:52 pm
Chris bout to be the biggest free agent since LeBron
Please don’t joke about this.

Ace wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate — a list of films that includes “The Matrix 4,” Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” remake, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical adaptation of “In the Heights,” Sopranos prequel “The Many Saints of Newark,” and “The Suicide Squad” — will debut both on HBO Max and in theaters on their respective release dates. The shocking move to simultaneously release movies day-and-date underscores the crisis facing movie theaters and the rising importance of streaming services in the wake of a global health crisis that’s decimated the film exhibition community.
Holy shit.

I hope theaters can still survive even with this.

I don't want to see theaters getting shut down and seeing people lose their jobs.

hot damn

As for Nolan, he's not releasing anything in 2021 lol

but yeah

with such a big decision like this I wonder if they'll slip back into the usual model once the majority of the people have been vaccinated...

I expect Disney to follow suit shortly.

Or not at all, I can see them wanting to hold off blockbusters and release them only in theaters, but quicker on Disney+ than usual.

Aside from getting more viewers on your streaming platform, I don't really see how blockbusters are supposed to make as much money as possible if said movie is available on the streaming platform right away. I mean, aren't people going to torrent like hell?

fuck this

Nomis wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 5:18 pm
Or not at all, I can see them wanting to hold off blockbusters and release them only in theaters, but quicker on Disney+ than usual.

Aside from getting more viewers on your streaming platform, I don't really see how blockbusters are supposed to make as much money as possible if said movie is available on the streaming platform right away. I mean, aren't people going to torrent like hell?
Yep. WB is gonna lose tons of money but I guess theyre thinking the loyalty to HBO Max they create will make up their destruction of theatrical exhibitions...

It's kinda ironic that this move came from the studio that stood beside theaters all summer with Tenet (thanks to Nolan).

Let's see how this will turn out.

This decision makes no sense. I understand that pandemic and evolution of consumer's habit push to a reduction of the theatrical window. But to not even have a three weeks period of exclusivity? And for the entire year, when we have no idea what the situation will be like next summer? That's even worse than the deal Netflix offered cinemas for Irishman, Marriage story and The two popes last year, a deal that many cinemas refused.
I understand that at the moment, cinemas have a very limited power to negociate, since Disney doesn't release anything, they need WB's content whatever the conditions. Hopefully, after the vaccine, they'll be able to negociate again.