Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
And Disney just brought down the gauntlet

Yeah but when is French Dispatch coming out?

antovolk wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm
welp looks like mulan didn't perform

None of these big budget films are likely to perform well in this context. The way to make at least some money would be to either push them back until the pandemic is over or release them like Disney did with Mulan but who can guarantee that people are going to go back in theatres next year in the same numbers that they did before? It might also be that by next year the hype has died down and even if the pandemic were going to be over by then, these films might not even make their money back. Essentially, the big studios will need to spend less money on films to be able to make sure that they'll make a decent profit so I think we're sort of done with big event films for a while.

Sad about Deep Water

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 1:39 am
antovolk wrote:
Idk what they were expecting. $30 on top of a Disney+ membership to be able to keep watching for a remake of a movie that already had controversy surrounding it. Not to mention it'll be available for FREE 2 months from now lol.

Any MCU film could have *easily* performed with a $30 price tag if it gave you Movies Anywhere access (not reliant on Disney+). They would have made bank.

Bacon wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 1:57 pm
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 1:39 am
antovolk wrote:
Idk what they were expecting. $30 on top of a Disney+ membership to be able to keep watching for a remake of a movie that already had controversy surrounding it. Not to mention it'll be available for FREE 2 months from now lol.

Any MCU film could have *easily* performed with a $30 price tag if it gave you Movies Anywhere access (not reliant on Disney+). They would have made bank.
Nowhere near what they would make in the theaters in normal conditions, though. So it's understandable they wanted to push it.

this attitude that streaming is profitable for first release movies is surreal to me, because:

1) nobody wants to pay for content. they want unlimited access to "rented" content. see netflix, spotify, etc.

2) even in that context, netflix loses money every year, and that's the "best one"

the only way to make any money on movies, is the cinema. this has been true for 100 years, and it's going to remain true until 200 million dollar productions cease to exist or "rented" service subscriptions FAR exceed the cash spent on production; which, seems like it might happen in... 20 years

(if the U.S. capitalist system actually worked properly Netflix would have folded years ago. they've been operating on promised "future profits" for as long as they've existed)

Streaming services are mostly good for only first world countries where disposable income is higher and Internet access is stable. Even then, fragmentation in video segment means people would turn to piracy than trying to find where the movie they want is. Imagine all record labels having their own streaming service instead of Spotify. People would go nuts.

And I'm not even gonna talk about juggling subscriptions throughout the year. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I think we'll be seeing a huge push for smaller-budgeted, independent films. Which will result in us getting more Mementos and more Requiems for a Dream.

I think we'll see the death of huge blockbusters and theaters in our lifetime, and the majority of content will be cheaper stuff on streaming services, essentially. Which might be for the best - for stories, anyway.

The giant $200 mil movies will be the special/"novelty" ones where there are less than 10 every year and are reserved for Nolan, Disney, etc. The amount of theaters will be like IMAXes currently.

Just my feeling. I have no data or facts here, lol.

I honestly don't care about theaters anymore if we're only getting a new Nolan or Fincher or Villeneuve every three or four years. I'm not interested in Disney or MCU stuff or whatever crappy thing they keep cranking out. I don't think the experience of going to the cinema is worthwhile anymore if the cinema isn't even actual cinema.